Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
Voxxyn
Banned

Default Episode Discussion: Setting A President

I don't think this episode gets the appreciation it deserves. Not only did it have some really funny moments, but also genuine drama. I must say this episode made me like Mr. Herriman a lot more, as I felt really bad for him in the final act of the episode when he was trying to find a job.

And, of course, our favorite redhead caretaker gets to shine in the lead for once. "Frankie My Dear" is an undisputed classic, but I think Mac and Bloo were the actual protagonists in that episode. Here, however, she's the main character from start to finish. And I think the storyline in this episode shows just how great her character truly is, and just how sympathetic and lovable she is as a person.

She might've been influenced to quit by the low pay, but there's no denying her endless compassion for the imaginary friends, and the fact that she wound up caring for everybody by the end of the episode--even that ol' rabbit that she doesn't get along too well with.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 10-09-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Well, Harriman is still her family, right? Frankie wouldan't want to hurt him, no matter how much he makes her work to the bone. And you do have to feel bad for Harriman. He must have thought his world was put upside-down when Frankie won. He must have thought anarchy and chaos would rule.
It was great to see Frankie win. Evan if she handed her new role back to Mr. Harriman. But evan then, she still got the last laugh.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

This obviously was a great episode vehicle for Frankie, and I think it was here that all the viewers and characters found out what we all knew all along: just how important Frankie is to Foster's and what she does for everyone.

We all know Frankie takes care of everyone and caters to everyone's needs, but it was never really brought to the show's attention as directly as this. And despite the fact I hated how Frankie was totally bashed in "Imposter's".

I have to say, this "torture" Bloo put her through was quite amusing. The photos, the ad commercials, and of course those "admittingly catchy songs". That just made me laugh. Bloo has some great moments in this episode.

I especially liked this one:

Herriman: That wasn't an answer at all, he's just mud slinging.

SPLAT

Herriman:.....oh I should have seen that coming.

And

......cough "Loser" good stuff.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Voxxyn
Banned

Um... in absolutely NO way was I bashing Herriman. I was just trying to point out how Frankie felt sorry for him even after all the tough times she has endured thanks largely to him, and how she had the heart(And yes, I do believe it was as much of an influence on her final decision as her financial interests were) at the end to give him back his old job.

Seriously, I've always enjoyed his character, and found his antics to be funny. But this episode DID make him seem somewhat more sympathetic, as we saw that his role as President is really all he's ever known for the last 30 years. Because I don't want any more confusion, I edited the offending part of my original post.

The "torturing" of Frankie in this episode--the smear attack and song--was hilarious stuff. I think that's because it was done to be goofy and lightheartedly silly, and wasn't cruel at all. The song was very addictive; and Frankie herself didn't have trouble admitting that.

Unlike that other Season 3 episode, "Setting A President" had a genuine story instead of being a thinly-veiled excuse to bash the hell out of somebody, and that's why I loved it.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I never got the feeling that you were bashing Mr. Harriman at all, Voxxyn. And we all know Frankie would have given him his job back, even if she made alot more money. That's just how wonderful Frankie is!
I think a slight reversal on this episode could be another great Harriman/Frankie episode. Maybe have Mr.Harriman refuse to give Frankie a raise or more time off, so she go'es on strike. Mr.Harriman hire's one new applicant after the other, but none of them can do the job well at all. In the end, Mr.Harriman realizes that Frankie is the only employee he's ever had to even come close to his standards of work ethic and the other friend's start demanding him to bring Frankie back. So in the end, Mr.Hariman gives in to Frankie's demands and the whole house learns a lesson or two.
1: Mr. Hariman learns that his standards MAY be a little too high.
2: The friends who were taking Frankie for granted learn just how important she is to them and the house.
This is just a simple flip on the "Setting a Presadent" formula, and could make for an amusing episode. Especialy if Bloo is calling for the replacement workers to do every little thing for him untill Frankie comes back.

Last edited by Medikor; 10-10-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Medikor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

That may well be one of the best episode ideas I've ever read. I'd love to see that!

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Voxxyn
Banned

I think that's an absolutely great idea!

Though, for a future episode, I'd like to see them in some kind of situation, where they're forced to work together and co-operate for the sake of something or somebody. They would be very hesitant at first, but by the end of the episode, they might actually gain a newfound appreciation for each other. I'd just like to see their teamwork portrayed in a protagonist-like way, because what we've actually seen of such so far has been somewhat antagonistic towards the others(Wrongly punishing the friends thanks to Bendy's manipulation, trying to get rid of Eduardo's fleas against his will).

Last edited by Voxxyn; 10-09-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The fleas thing I actually think that Herriman and Frankie were in the right by trying to de-flea Eduardo. Yes their methods may have been more sneakie and forceful, but they are in charge of taking care of the imaginary friends and the house.

Everyone was suffering from Ed's flea problem, and so was he (even though he wouldn't admit it). I think Frankie and Herriman did the right thing and I hope while they do get along occasionally, they stay at ends with each other for most of the time.

It's just something I'm used to, and I think Frankie has accepted it as a part of her life. Frankie obviously knew that getting Herriman back would probably no doubt increase the chances of them fighting again, but in a way, I think she's grown used to Herriman.

They need each other just like Bloo needs Mac, it's a balance.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
Voxxyn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
They need each other just like Bloo needs Mac, it's a balance.
That's exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned my episode idea. They would come to accept that, no matter how much they get on each other's nerves, that they need each other because their constant clashing provides a perfect balance in authority(The loving caregiver with a short temper vs. the civilized elder with a stuffy demeanor), for the sake of the imaginary friends at Foster's. Of course, though, it would end with some occurence where they go back to bickering and arguing again.

I hope you didn't interpret my post as saying that I want them to be very best friends. Their rivalry is undoubtedly great stuff, and has provided some of the show's funniest moments. I just think it would be nice to see them put aside their differences, and work as allies once in a while.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 10-09-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #10
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I like you're idea of the two working together in a good way, Voxxyn. Even if it's just the two getting locked in the basement (By Bloo no doubt) and haveing to put up with each other. Good idea.