Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

Default R.I.P.: Erich Segal

Segal wrote the 1970 novel Love Story (which bore the iconic quote "Love means never having to say you're sorry"). He was 72.

More about him here.

Widely acknowledged but actually quite false was the claim that Segal wrote the screenplay for the Beatles' 1968 cartoon movie Yellow Submarine. In 1983, I chatted via phone with Jack Mendelsohn, one of the credited screenwriters of the movie and he had a different take. Jack (who wrote for the Beatles' cartoon show in 1965) was at Hanna-Barbera and was approached by producer Al Brodax to write the screenplay after United Artists rejected two other screenplays (by Lee Minoff, who wrote the outline, and Ernie Pintoff). Jack took a three-week leave from H-B to write the Submarine screenplay, and after he turned it in, Brodax gave it to Segal to "punch it up." So since Segal was the last man on the screenplay and was with Brodax at the time, he's been the one everybody believes wrote the screenplay.

Lee Minoff's name and Al Brodax's is in the credits because Brodax--as producer--could do that. Animated movies' screenwriter credits do not fall under the same jurisdiction as with live action movies.

Last edited by Ccook50; 01-20-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Ccook50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Random fact: I studied animation writing under Ernie Pintoff at USC. Sorry, I don't actually have anything to say about Erich Segal though.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

I know that Pintoff won an Oscar for a short subject called The Critic (1963). Had the voice of Mel Brooks.

Last edited by Ccook50; 01-20-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Ccook50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Yeah. I actually liked The Violinist (1959) better though.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote