Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

Default S_D, grinder girl extraordinaire

So anyhow, recently I was in a stage production called "Cirque du Fear" put on by my modeling company. Basically what it consisted of was a burlesque array of five sideshow-like performances, dancing, fake guts and gore, and music. I was given the opportunity to pick from a list of things I wanted to try to perform, and I decided to go for one that took a little bit of effort. So I looked through the list, and as soon as I saw it as an option, I thought about it for about half a second and said "I wanna be the grinder girl!!"

Now for those of you who don't know, a grinder girl wears an article made of steel, whether it be a cincher, corset, or even a full upper-body suit. They then place an angle grinder against the metal they are wearing and the result is a relatively harmless shower of sparks that looks downright awesome. However, while the sparks may not be very dangerous, special care has to be taken to not get them in your eyes and also, something heat-resistant has to be worn under the metal because believe me, that stuff gets HOT! 3rd degree burns are so not cool.

So I thought "I can do this, I've wanted to try it for a while, I can do this... I can do this..." but as the date came closer, I got more and more freaked out. Also not helping was the fact that my grinder was WAY louder than anticipated and WOW was it powerful. My mind heard and saw the power tool and my self preservation immediately kicked in and said "don't you DARE get that near you, stupid!" but I knew I had to. My mom of all people gave me the metal because it was a leftover steel plate from the restaurant she and my dad own and I got it bent into shape at a friend's house. So after that, all that was left was putting the metal on me with some silicone underneath and get to grinding, right?

Right?

"Come on, you can do this..."

After some more talking myself into it and a couple of deep breaths, I did it. I felt like a needed a tranquilizer afterward to slow my heart and to stop me from shaking, but I freaking did it!!

After that, it got easier and easier, and now I can do it while dancing and not even thinking about it! I can even put my hand in the sparks, and I'm working on aiming it just right to let them go in my face and mouth (heh, don't worry, I wear goggles). I can even do it in time to the music! It turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made because it was an incredibly fun adventure, it was awesome overcoming the fear, and even if for some reason I never do it again, at least I can say I did it in front of an audience at least once. Not many people can say they've been the grinder girl hehe! =D

Last edited by scary_dream; 06-16-2009 at 09:31 PM.
scary_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

You've gotta do it again so someone can get a pic of the sparks flying everywhere. Sounds really awesome!

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Wow, I can sense the adrenaline rush. Whooo! I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to touch me, even when there's metal between it and myself. But that sounds like an awesome experience! Congrats on having it!
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

Thank you hehe! I actually have pics from the show, but none of them show sparks because they're very hard to catch in a photo. Still, here's a fun picture of me lookin' like I just ate someone's face zombie-style =D The shorts + straps + boots look reminds me so much of Lara Croft lol!!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...rinderGirl.jpg
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

YIKES!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Halloween is your favorite holiday.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

What of course!!

Speaking of which, we're actually booked for Halloween I believe =D Fun fun!!

That fake blood is SO EFFING STICKY. Seriously. It's worse than honey! It's the most disgusting-feeling thing ever but it's hilarious whenever you have five people soaked in it parading around the Dallas club area after the show XD We're such dorks!

Funny story, too, because while I was making the long drive home from the performance, I got pulled over. I immediately had to begin thinking up the best way to explain why I was soaked in blood and there was a bloody power tool in my back seat lol! Luckily, while we were both pulled over and fully stopped and he was just about to get out, another car zooms by us, obviously hotrodding. He forgets about my little Kia doing 5 over and pulls out onto the highway with his lights on, chasing Mr. Hotrod instead. Oh the luck!!!

Last edited by scary_dream; 06-16-2009 at 10:03 PM.
scary_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Whoa, that's freaky looking! I like it! You look like you're having fun.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Haha, I so wish I had your job! That looks like so much fun.