Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Default To Borrow a Title From Jimmy Buffett...

"Tryin' to Reason in Hurricane Season"! I guess everyone is probably keeping up with Gustav's landfall in Louisiana; fortunately, it was down-graded to a Category 1 right before it made landfall, and so far, the levees in New Orleans have held up. There's still some flooding, due to water blowing over the tops of the levees, but at this point, it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as Katrina was three years ago. In no small part, excellent planning well ahead of time by Louisiana's governor, as well as hard work by the Army Corp of Engineers to re-design and repair the levee system, helped prevent this from being the disaster than Katrina was.

NOW, there's Hurricane Hannah out in the Atlantic, and this one seems headed straight for landfall in Charleston, SC-same as the devastating Hurricane Hugo back in 1989. Here's the latest projected path for Hannah, courtesy of the Weather Channel: http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atl...ath_large.html . Needless to say, I'm not real happy about this. Having experienced first-hand the destruction of Hugo, I really don't want to go through THAT again! We were without electricity for three weeks, during the hottest time of the year, and also under martial law. You had to show IDs to National Guardsmen to drive anywhere, and they had shoot-to-kill orders to prevent looting. We had to stand in line for hours in a swamp to fill water jugs from an artesian spring down in the woods, since there was no other source of drinkable water. I can't even begin to describe the terrifying experience of hunkering down inside, in total darkness, wondering if each second would be my last, as the sounds of things crashing against the side of the house, and the sensation of the walls "breathing" in and out with the drastic changes in air pressure, threatened to tear the house apart. I really sympathize with the people of Louisiana and Mississippi, especially with those in the bayou country south and west of New Orleans, where many live in little shacks or house boats. I've got friends there, and I'm worried about them, but now I've to to worry about US, here in the Carolinas, with Hannah approaching.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Oh dear! Let us hope that it decides to just turn around!
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

June through November can be a scary time of year. So can March through July which is the busiest tornado season for the midwest. But hurricanes are so much bigger and less sporadic than tornadoes. At least there's usually more of a warning that they're coming.

Hope everyone on/near the Gulf and the East Coast stays safe.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote