Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fan Creations > Fan-Art Forum

Notices

Fan-Art Forum Post and discuss Foster's-related artwork here.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Default Scrapbook Polaroid

More fanart of Wilt and Jordan, back in the old days, shortly after Wilt was created. I tried to get this to look like a faded old Polaroid "Instamatic" snapshot, taped to a page in a scrapbook, the sort a mother would keep over all these years. The locale is Folly Beach, near Charleston, SC, with the historic Morris Island Lighthouse in the background(Morris Island has actually been just about swallowed up by the Atlantic now).

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Aww...That is adoreable. So realistic. =]
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

AWWWWWWW............
Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Thefishdude
Newly Abandoned

Aww.....What a touching moment. Good job!
Thefishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
xxxClaire
Teenage Wasteland

Live everyday like you're Glen Coco.  

Send a message via MSN to xxxClaire

Awwww. That's so cute!

? Long Live Jeremiah ?
xxxClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Aww, that is the SWEETEST thing I've seen in a long while! I tried drawing something to look like a real photograph once (I drew it in a frame), and it didn't turn out near as good, heh. Way too cool PBL, good job!
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

I commented over on DA, too, but I'll say it again-- this is adorable beyond words. There's this whimsy in this that can only be captured in an impromtu snapshot at the beach, so seeing it captured with pencil and paper is nothing short of awe-inspiring.

I. Love. It. <Falls off computer chair in total awe.>

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltsAKGirl17 View Post
I commented over on DA, too, but I'll say it again-- this is adorable beyond words. There's this whimsy in this that can only be captured in an impromtu snapshot at the beach, so seeing it captured with pencil and paper is nothing short of awe-inspiring.

I. Love. It. <Falls off computer chair in total awe.>
Well, actually there wasn't much pencil involved, but a lot of computer programming!

Here's how I did it, step by step:

First, I created the backdrop-the ocean, the lighthouse, the sand and most of the rock jetty, and of course, the sky, using a program I have on my computer called Corel Painter ProCreate Classic. It's an old version of Corel Painter(I think they're up to Painter X now, for about the price of a compact car) that works in hand with a Wacom tablet and pen. I love my Wacom, but I digress. Anyway, I used the "Watercolor" selection of the program to give a washed-out, softer effect. I was looking at a photo in an old seventh-grade South Carolina history textbook, which is not in color, so I had to sort of fudge the color from memory.

Next, I printed out the background using a regular printer on a regular sheet of copier/printer paper. NOW is where the pencil comes in; I lightly penciled in sketches of Wilt and Jordan, and a few more rocks, as well as the kite Jordan is flying and the kite strings. Then I cut out a "border" from white construction paper and glued it down on top of the print-out, to give the effect of a border on a Polaroid photo, and using real tape, taped the whole shebang to a sheet of black construction paper to look like the sort of black pages that many photo scrapbooks used to have(maybe they still do, but I haven't seen any for awhile).

Then, I photographed the ensemble with the digital camera, uploaded it back to Corel Painter, and used Painter's digital airbrush feature to color in the figures of Wilt and Jordan, plus the kite and twine, and the extra rocks. I used the same to create the shadows, the footprints, the tern flying in the sky, the scuffs of sand on their feet, and to touch up the colors a bit. You can choose the opacity of color in Painter, so I used a very light opacity to keep the faded look. I resized the thing, since my camera is high resolution and takes huge pictures, and cropped a bit of the edge with Painter, then used the "Pen and Ink" selection to create the writing on the bottom "frame", and used the "smudge" feature to make it look blurred and faded, like handwriting written decades ago. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, really, but I'm quite pleased if I must say so myself, lol!

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

Already commented on this on DA, but once again it's a great piece of work, made all the more poignant now that we know that the background of the photo in real life has pretty much vanished.
Now it kind of brings out mixed emotions, looking at it. Happy because it's memories of a happy time and Wilt and Jordan are enjoying themselves, but at the same time sad because it's a moment in time that can never be repeated.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Aww. That is extremely sweet! They both look so happy