Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Default Where can I get something translated to kanji?

I need the know what the kanji spelling would be of the Japanese monster "Guilala" from the movie The X From Outer Space (the Japanese pronunciation would be "Girara"). If anyone here can help that would be great, if not, where can I go to ask? Not one of those automated web things, a real person/forum with real people on it. I got the following from one of the automated web pages:

I hope the symbols are right just because the translations are awesome. But it's important I spell it right. Anyways if anyone can help, even if by just giving me a site to go to, that'd be great. And if you're reading this but aren't a member, please email me.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Frankie_4_Prez
At Home

Frankie encourages you to READ!  

If only we could write to Japanese-speaking Bloo...

Well, I know some rudimentary Japanese, so I looked over at the Wikipedia page for this movie (first, went to the "X from outer space" English page, then clicked on the "nihongo (japanese)" Link under Languages on the left sidebar)

The name Guilala itself is in the movie title, but in the phonetic "katakana" alphabet: Gi-ra-ra, and no matching Kanji anywhere else in the page that I could notice... and the rest of the movie title roughly translates as "Gigantic Space Monstrous Beast Guilala." That's all I can help with.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Sparky

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Yeah well, nobody anywhere has been able to help me. Thanks anyways.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Frankie_4_Prez
At Home

Frankie encourages you to READ!  

I see... too bad. To me it looks like there just isn't any Kanji assigned to Guilala, unless you decide to come up with your own (read about the Coca cola story, possibly urban legend, in China and how it went the first time they assigned characters.) I don't even think Godzilla was cool enough to have Kanji letters assigned to his name.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Sparky

Well see, I didn't know it was tricky to assign Kanji to something, I thought it was just sort of like Hebrew and as long as the sounds were the same you were okay. So I guess I won't be doing the project I was thinking of at all. Thanks for the help, again.