Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #21
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
They WILL actually do just what you described, if they know the people aren't armed, since hogs are smart enough to figure that out and they know you can't hurt them if you do not have any weapons. Believe it or not, a hog that size can probably run faster than a Thoroughbred race horse, and much, much faster than a human! They do not "head butt", though-they bite with bone-crushing power and rip into their victims using a lightning-fast head-jab that puts these into use:

This is from a SMALL wild boar that fell into a sinkhole on the property of Friendfield/Spring Hill Plantation near Georgetown, South Carolina, and died there. The top tusks are missing, and the bottom ones, which are the smaller set, are nearly 10 inches from the jawbone to the tip. If you lightly pull a sheet of paper across the tip of a tusk, it will slice the paper as cleanly as a X-acto knife-that's just how sharp it is! I've seen hogs rip open the sheet metal along the side of a pickup truck, like peeling back the lid to a sardine can, with these tusks. Comparing these things to "Babe" is like comparing Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies to Shirley Temple!

pitbulllady
Note to self: carry 12 gauge with slugs if i ever go to South Carolina.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #22
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Trust me, a LOT of hunters have been severely injured or even killed by these animals, so they're no joke.pitbulllady
I wouldn't doubt it. Those things are solid! Like tanks with stubby legs.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #23
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

I heard this isn't a wild pig, it's a pet that must of died.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #24
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
I heard this isn't a wild pig, it's a pet that must of died.
No, it was no pet, and it had definately been shot and killed...dead things do not bleed if you shoot 'em. It was NOT a true wild boar, though, but a feral hog, which is a domesticated hog that has escaped or been intentionally released and reverted back to a wild state. Hogs do this very readily; they do not need humans to care for them at all, and feral hogs are actually MORE dangerous than purebred wild boars, since they get a lot bigger and have far less natural fear of humans. This is what the old folks back in the hills used to call a "razorback", because in those days, before wide-spread agriculture and fish farms and such made fattening food readily available for wild hogs to eat, food was scarce, and they would often be very thin with their backbones showing, in contrast to a pen-kept hog. This particular hog had caused a lot of trouble in the area by tearing up livestock fences to get at the food put out for cattle and horses, and by literally knocking over large trash dumpsters to eat what was inside. This hog actually originated at a hog farm, and it had been sold to a hunting preserve to be released as breeding stock(so it was not castrated, as I originally figured due to its size), which is the only legal way to replenish wild boar stock now that it is illegal to release true wild, or "Russian" boars. The original owner sold it because it killed his other hogs, tore up fences and property, and was very aggressive towards humans, but later regretted it because he realized that even when released, the hog would still present a threat.

pitbulllady

Last edited by pitbulllady; 06-03-2007 at 08:53 AM.
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #25
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

This is off topic but everytime I read this thread title, I swear, the first thing that comes to mind is Alec Baldwin yelling at his daughter.

"You are a BEEP rude, thoughtless little pig!"

I just had to tell someone that.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote