Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFoppy View Post
I have Linux at anoter pc, but the problem is, I downloaded it for free, and there's nothing installed with it. So I'm mostly building it whenever I get at my dad's home. I'd say 1. Stick to windows or 2. BUY Linux. Or Mac. Or whatever.
umm. NEVER buy LINUX Linux is OpenSource and Freeware.
yes Purchuse LINUX support but not Linux itself (unless it is a preinstall at factory)

If you want a Flavor of Linux with lots of Bells and whistles lookup on some Linux sites at what people recomend. I installed the latest build of Debain and it came with tons of stuff. I just had to choose what I wanted to install.

Back on TOpic. I am not planning on INstalling Vista, because it requirements are too steep. I have had copys of the Alfa, and Beta for several years already and I still do not have a Box that can support it. I think Vista should be a good OS, it should ofuscate some of the security away from the user and make things easier to do. I just spoke with someone who just started using MSN with Office Live and she put together a web site for the Village I live in.(With no Web experiance) so if Vista is offering the same usability to non-savy people it should be a great product.

Naturally I have nothing against Mac, I think they are great pc as well (mostly due to the HArdware Integrity). and now they also run on a UNIX kernal.

My advice, if you have a newer PC.and you have everything backuped. If your machine is ABOVE the Recomended Requirements of VIsta, Try it (IF it is Free upgrade) on a worst case you just reinstall your OLD version of windows (that is hopefully XP pro or Media edition if you are planing on reinstalling XP)

MOnty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
rukift
At Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Fieldmouse View Post
I might get Vista within 5 years from now, just for smoother gameplay. I downloaded the Sonic Heroes Trial, and it was WAAAY too slow. Hopefully that won't happen when Sonic the Hedgehog comes out for PC.
I'm kind of the same, but not really. I *just* upgraded to Windows XP from a 95 last December, so I'm in no mood to switch over again. In five years, sure, why not?

That and I doubt my computer has the minimum requirements. I hear you need about 500 mbs of RAM, but I'm just fine going about life with 200... some... mbs. Just getting it up to the basics would be too much for me.
rukift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
Subzeroace
Has a PhD in Horribleness

Burning things is fun and useful!  

Send a message via AIM to Subzeroace

I'd upgrade but my computer is no where near the requirements for it :\ Heck it needs more memory now
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

With my new notebook, it includes the Home Premium edition of Vista. It's definitely not as bad as some folks make it out to be, at least not right now, anyway. They really have done more to make things more secure, which is good and annoying at the same time. The annoying part is trying to be able to copy/move files from the old computer to the new one. You have to add some sharing permissions to get it going; otherwise, access will be denied.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+

Last edited by One Radical Dude; 04-01-2007 at 11:42 AM.
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Radical Dude View Post
You have to add some sharing permissions to get it going; otherwise, access will be denied.
Traditionally one would normally be able to either "take ownership", or "change owner", of files. but it is proboly just as easy to change permissions.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote