Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk
Default Another Trip Down the Yellow Brick Road (Oz Remake)

Well, Warner Brothers has just greenlit another version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. This one is supposed to be closer to the source material and darker in tone, and not a singing munchkin in site.

As always here's the actual news: http://www.mania.com/55792.html

And now, what do you think about this? I'd answer but I'm still fuming about something else.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

If it works, great. If it doesn't, well, I'm not likely to see it anyway. I like the idea of them trying to stick closer to the source material; I think Hollywood often takes too many liberties when turning books or other sources into movies.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
emperor26
Foster's Legend

I'm not so sure whether to be happy, surprise or mad.

I just hope WB doesn't mess up this version of Oz.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

I like the Lion with his glasses. Otherwise this just seems like another example of Hollywood desparately raking over old ideas, I mean obviously theres been many, many great movies of books etc but theres something to be said for a film that you really don't know where it's going to go. Ok random examples: Harry Potter & Lord of the Rings movies may have been a feast for the eyes but if you were that bothered, you knew what was going to happen anyway so really the movie's just showing you events you may have had a preconcieved mental image of. Now say, Shrek or The Sixth Sense you experienced a series of events that took you on a journey of discovery. That's making real magic, is wot i reckon.

Saying that, I do seem to remember liking every film based on this book made so far that I seen. Think it's about 3...?

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I remember hearing a while back (as in a few years ago) that there was going to be a new Oz movie in which they were going to stick to the book as much as possible. As a fan of the original movie, and I suppose also the book (although I never quite finished the book ), I was curious about a new movie and kept my eyes and ears open for any new info. But I never heard any more of it. I wonder if this is that movie? But what I heard was a long time ago, so I kind of doubt it. Maybe that first one was never actually green-lit. Oh well. I'm interested in the outcome.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

This would be the fourth incarnation of the book, and there will most likely be a fifth. Although that one could be considered it's own because Wicked is a separate book and revisionist Oz history at that.

The fourth, Tin Man, will be on Sci-Fi Channel this December.

The one thing that bothers me about this is that they want to stick to the book, but also near the line of Todd MacFarlene's Twisted Land of Oz line of toys. I wouldn't let MacFarlene within 10 feet of any property that's not his own. His reinterpretation of everything always seems to lean on sex, violence, and impossible proportions.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
montitech
Foster's Legend

Speaking of the darker side of Oz,

I always wondered how the Tin Man was able to cut off his last few parts before being rebuilt.

Anyway back on topic,
one could say that the popular (Garland) version of Oz is actually a huge stray away from the original story.

To elaborate did anyone see any of the original movies that were directed by Baum himself. There was a series of about 5-8 Oz movies.
Since the 70's theres been about 5 cartoons taking place in oz. One of my favorite versions was the Return to Oz. I know a lot of people do not like that version but at least it had Mumby in it.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

I applaud the fact that they're trying to stick to the book/books, but I'm a bit afraid of WHAT in the book/books they use...I may have NOT read the books, but I heard there was rather dark stuff in them.

Last edited by antgirl1; 08-22-2007 at 06:10 PM.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

...i should go rent The Wiz again
Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
...i should go rent The Wiz again
I did not think "the wiz" was very inspiring or something that would keep a footing in sociaty.

and then they released Muppet Wizard of Oz that was easily had some Wiz insperation. either way I liked this version (mostly becasue I like anything with Kermit, fozie, and Gonzo) but anything with pepe must be good watch. the wiz was not to bad either.

monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote