Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Thornwhistle
Banned

I see you.  

Exclamation my comp is malfuctioning

Last night and today,my computer has not been working. Yesterday,it kept on rebooting,so I had to call a friend orf mine in to fix this problem. She was sucessful. Today,I turned on the monitor and hard drive tower,it refused to come online. So,I called my friend to come back and work on this new problem,only this time,she couldn't do much to fix it. So now,I'm using a different (and older) computer. *sigh*
Thornwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

That's too bad. Hope you can get your PC working again.
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Was it doing that thing where it looks like it's starting up normally but reboots, and keeps doing that over and over? I've had that happen to me several times. It's lame.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornwhistle View Post
Last night and today,my computer has not been working. Yesterday,it kept on rebooting,so I had to call a friend orf mine in to fix this problem. She was sucessful. Today,I turned on the monitor and hard drive tower,it refused to come online. So,I called my friend to come back and work on this new problem,only this time,she couldn't do much to fix it. So now,I'm using a different (and older) computer. *sigh*
Do you perform spyware and virus scans? If not, you should start. Also, when you say "it refused to come online", are you talking about the hard drive tower, or are you saying that you couldn't connect to the Internet? What type of speeds do you have -- dial-up, cable, DSL?

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
Thornwhistle
Banned

I see you.  

It's like this:

I turn the hard drive and the monitor on,I heard the hard drive making it's noise,but the screen shows nothing,it's like it's not on. So,I turn them both off again,because they're not working. I even checked the wires,but nothing came loose.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
SkittleMonkey
Foster's Legend
Snoozer ish lurve.  

Send a message via MSN to SkittleMonkey

What, you mean like your screen stays black when you can still hear everything booting up? How old is your monitor? I had that same problem once before, and it turned out that my monitor just died. If that's not it, it's probably some kind of virus you got. I got a virus one time that erased one of my startup files, and I couldn't get past the startup screen.
Patrick: Yeah, you could be bald and have a big nose!
---------------------------------------------------
Eduardo: No, Senor Bloo! They es magic, not drive around in no car!
Bloo: Nope, he lost his magic; now he dresses like a lady, and the butterfly has legs and an afro.
SkittleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Radical Dude View Post
Do you perform spyware and virus scans? If not, you should start. Also, when you say "it refused to come online", are you talking about the hard drive tower, or are you saying that you couldn't connect to the Internet? What type of speeds do you have -- dial-up, cable, DSL?
Definitely do spyware & virus scans if you haven't. These can bog your PC down so it won't run.
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Thornwhistle
Banned

I see you.  

I have good news.my comp is working again. I just got it fixed,it turns out to be that the monitor wasn't actived. I now have a screen saver attached to it. I'm not suppoed to turn off the monitor,it seems.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornwhistle View Post
It's like this:

I turn the hard drive and the monitor on,I heard the hard drive making it's noise,but the screen shows nothing,it's like it's not on. So,I turn them both off again,because they're not working. I even checked the wires,but nothing came loose.
Most computers have internal speekers.
If you press the power on your computer and everything sounds normal, ie: Hard drive does not sound funky or skipping but normal.

Then you are likrly looking at the issue being the monitor.
If the computer has a speeker (internal) when you power up, if it does not detect a default vidio bios then the computer is suppose to beep. In other words if the monitor and cable are on correctly and working when you start up you should either hear some strange beeps or see the vidio bios flash on the screen, If neither of these happen then the monitor is usually the problem. sometimes if you look at the pins on the cable one may be bent and they are extreamly difficut to straiten.
I have seen some BAd CPU/Motherboards that did not beep, this is more common on cheeper computers made in the past 4 or five years.

Good Luck

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Thornwhistle
Banned

I see you.  

When I wrote the last message,the mouse cursor froze. I tried to fix it by turning off the hard drive,then turning it back on. Now,it's malfucntioning again. I had the person come back ,but this time,she wasn't able to fix it.

I might have to get a new comp.