Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Smile Recipe: Black Rice Pudding

I always wanted to make black rice pudding so I found a recipe. It's such a...neat-looking dessert, lol. Pity I don't have any nice glass goblets to serve it in, just that plastic shaved-ice thing in the photo, lol...

1 cup black rice*
6 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar

For topping:
1/2 cup coconut cream**
1/4 cup sugar
dash salt

Rinse and drain rice, put rice and water in pot and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add coconut milk and sugar and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving, or it can be refrigerated and served cold. Pour a small amount of topping over each serving.

Topping: combine coconut cream, sugar, and salt.

* Use "Forbidden Rice", a short grained Chinese rice, not black wild rice. Forbidden Rice isn't actually black, its a deep purple, and will turn the water in the pot a funky purple color.

** If you can't find cans of "coconut cream," go to the grocery store and try to find a really dusty can of coconut milk that hasn't been shaken in a long time. DON'T shake it. Open it in a can opener and carefully pour out the watery liquid from the bottom of the can around the "blob" of solidified coconut milk at the top. The thick stuff is coconut cream.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

I've never even heard of "Forbidden rice" or black rice, so I'm guessing that neither is available around here. I can get real wild rice, though, which is the only kind(though it is not technically rice, per se)that doesn't send my blood sugar through the roof. There's a rice farm in the neighboring county where some variety is grown that's unique to South Carolina, but it's not purple, but since I can't even walk past a sushi bar without nearly going into ketoacidosis, I have to give it a miss. The pudding sounds pretty tasty, though, and I'm guessing that maybe this "Forbidden rice" doesn't cause problems with glucose levels?

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

No it probably does. You just can't use wild rice in this recipe, I tried it and all I wound up with was wet, sweet rice.

The only place I've found Forbidden Rice around here so far is an Asian grocery store that's nearby.

Last edited by Sparky; 01-31-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Forbidden Rice. Sounds hot

that puddin' looks really good, Sparky. My dad brought home 2 pizzas and my sister made double chocolate chip cookies last night. I swear, i start dieting and all of the sudden this awesome looking saturated fat stuff comes out of nowhere to tempt me