Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Default US Dollar could drop by 90%

start stockpiling guns and ammo and canned beans, kiddies. Gonna be an interesting new century. Canadian dollar surpassing us by 9 cents...remember when they got 60 cents on the dollar? I do. We used to go up there and laugh as we spent our powerful greenbacks. No longer, guys.

RHINEBECK, N.Y., Nov. 19 (UPI) -- A financial crisis will likely send the U.S. dollar into a free fall of as much as 90 percent and gold soaring to $2,000 an ounce, a trends researcher said.

"We are going to see economic times the likes of which no living person has seen," Trends Research Institute Director Gerald Celente said, forecasting a "Panic of 2008."

"The bigger they are, the harder they'll fall," he said in an interview with New York's Hudson Valley Business Journal.

Celente -- who forecast the subprime mortgage financial crisis and the dollar's decline a year ago and gold's current rise in May -- told the newspaper the subprime mortgage meltdown was just the first "small, high-risk segment of the market" to collapse.

Derivative dealers, hedge funds, buyout firms and other market players will also unravel, he said.

Massive corporate losses, such as those recently posted by Citigroup Inc. and General Motors Corp., will also be fairly common "for some time to come," he said.

He said he would not "be surprised if giants tumble to their deaths," Celente said.

The Panic of 2008 will lead to a lower U.S. standard of living, he said.

A result will be a drop in holiday spending a year from now, followed by a permanent end of the "retail holiday frenzy" that has driven the U.S. economy since the 1940s, he said.

link: http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Busines...e_90_pct/4876/
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Subzeroace
Has a PhD in Horribleness

Burning things is fun and useful!  

Send a message via AIM to Subzeroace

Crap... As much as I love the CND being higher, it means super long wait times at the border (I'm in Southern Ontario so weekend shopping trips to the States are in) and no tourist money coming in ._.

Although I may finally talk my way into another trip to Florida :3

Don't worry Florida/New York, I'll spend money in you!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzeroace View Post
Crap... As much as I love the CND being higher, it means super long wait times at the border (I'm in Southern Ontario so weekend shopping trips to the States are in) and no tourist money coming in ._.

Although I may finally talk my way into another trip to Florida :3

Don't worry Florida/New York, I'll spend money in you!
oh yeah, we got the crappy passports now...what a dumb idea. I loved the open border. I love Canada! Damn politicians
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I admit that it's made ebay shopping a lot easier with a stronger CND but we all knew that the CND becoming stronger than the USD is a sign of the apocalypse. What are comedians going to make fun of now?
I know that a stronger CND hurts the trend of Americans coming to Canada to film movies and tourism may take a hit, but the USD going down by 90%? Sounds like another depression era. Here's hoping that all of you in the States come out of this in one piece should the USD drop actually come to pass.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

That would be very depressing, if this became a reality in the near future. I am aware of the US dollar decreasing; but 90% becoming a possibility? We'll see. Right now, I'm taking this article with a grain of salt (mainly because I'm not reading/hearing much about it). It's not something to ignore, but it's nothing to panic about just yet.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Quote:
The Panic of 2008 will lead to a lower U.S. standard of living.
Uh oh... That sounds scary. I knew it would come to something similar eventually, but didn't think it would be as soon as next year.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Uh oh... That sounds scary. I knew it would come to something similar eventually, but didn't think it would be as soon as next year.
I wouldn't take it too seriously, Lynnie. This USD disaster strikes me as awfully similar to the Y2K thing a while back.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
I wouldn't take it too seriously, Lynnie. This USD disaster strikes me as awfully similar to the Y2K thing a while back.
Oh, yeah. I'm hoping that the results will end the same. I do think the dollar will slide more, though; but I doubt it'll go down that far.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
Ah yes, the Y2K scare. I was among those who had stocked up on canned goods and a bathtub full of water (not to mention all the bottles I had in my fridge and cupboards). Man, the next morning made a fool out of the best of us. I hope you're right, and it comes to little more than that.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Wow. I love this forum sometimes.

Now I've never studied economics but as I understand it, a weak currency does lead to an increase in exports which helps wobbly economies stabilize through making new jobs etc. I'm certainly buying a lot of your nation's Pink Lady Apples right now. They're really delicious and much cheaper than they should be.

Um...I just wrote a load of stuff that's probably boring.

Instead:

Like you ever needed an excuse to stockpile a vast arsenal, PM.

Civilisation could become a vast single, tranquil, collective consciousness and you'd still be sitting on a few dozen assult rifles and a beltfull of grenades I'll wager.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote