Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Default We Had SNOW...in NOVEMBER!

Did I mention that I live in South Carolina? This is NOT supposed to happen! This is so not normal for us! It didn't stick, since the ground is still too warm, but it really came down like a blizzard around 9:30 this morning, for like 15 minutes, before turning over to hard sleet(which coated my windshield, making the trip from my first school to the second one quite, uhm, interesting), then a drenching cold rain. I mean I'm not too far from the big Five Uh-Oh, and I have NEVER seen so much as a single snowflake this early in the year; it's not even officially WINTER yet! We normally don't even get a slight threat of frozen precipitation until January, and most winters come and go with no snow at all(like last year). The "experts" in weather prediction(same guys who said this year's hurricane season would be even worse than the 2005 hurricane season, the one that brought Katrina)have been saying it's going to be a mild winter for those of us in the South, but the animals have been "saying" otherwise. I've never seen such thick fur coats on the critters, and my snakes went into hibernation in early October, even though they're in the house!

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Did I mention that I live in South Carolina? This is NOT supposed to happen! This is so not normal for us! It didn't stick, since the ground is still too warm, but it really came down like a blizzard around 9:30 this morning, for like 15 minutes, before turning over to hard sleet(which coated my windshield, making the trip from my first school to the second one quite, uhm, interesting), then a drenching cold rain. I mean I'm not too far from the big Five Uh-Oh, and I have NEVER seen so much as a single snowflake this early in the year; it's not even officially WINTER yet! We normally don't even get a slight threat of frozen precipitation until January, and most winters come and go with no snow at all(like last year). The "experts" in weather prediction(same guys who said this year's hurricane season would be even worse than the 2005 hurricane season, the one that brought Katrina)have been saying it's going to be a mild winter for those of us in the South, but the animals have been "saying" otherwise. I've never seen such thick fur coats on the critters, and my snakes went into hibernation in early October, even though they're in the house!

pitbulllady
I was stationed in Charleston, SC (1985-1987), and I did see snow back then - but it did not stick, it flurried.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

Wow! That must have been a shock pitbulllady! What's the weather like now?
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlaz View Post
Wow! That must have been a shock pitbulllady! What's the weather like now?
It's cold, but above freezing-in the mid-forties, and it's drizzling rain, with wind gusts of around 35 miles-per-hour. Same as yesterday, just about 10 degrees warmer(IF you can consider 46 degrees F. to be "warm"). We've been having bouts of torrential downpours; some estimates have had us receiving nearly 8 inches of rain within the past 24 hours, and we have actually exceded the average total rainfall amounts per year for the months of October, November and December combined, within a 30-hour period! A powerful low-pressure system formed off in the Gulf of Mexico and trekked northward, then moved off our Atlantic coast-basically if this thing had formed before November 1, it would have been given a name and been classified as a tropical storm. Later in the season, with the cold air more in place, it would have brought a ton of snow with it, since this is the usual, albeit rare, scenario which is required for South Carolina to get a measurable snowfall. Bottom line-it's very nasty and unpleasant outside, but it's supposed to clear up by tomorrow, which is good news, since the clouds are so thick and so high that they are actually messing with my satellite signal, and I CANNOT have THAT happening during GWH!

pitbulllady

Last edited by pitbulllady; 11-22-2006 at 09:37 AM.
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Apparently, there were snow flurries as far south as Central Florida. Of course, it was just flurries, and nothing sticked, but still. No flakes yet this cold season here, but it's supposed to be a wet one this upcoming winter. I'm glad to hear that things are supposed to be improving on Thanksgiving.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

We had November snow in southern Oklahoma once... it was very different!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Another great thing about living in Fl for 99.7% of my life, I've never experienced snow. Except the first couple months of my life before we moved here in Fl.
Now on topic, SC? Wow, & it's supposed to be global Warming.
It's getting really chilly here (Northern Fl) in the late/mid 40's at night. Burrrr.... I love cold weather though, I have my window open.:bloogrin

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

It rained the entire day here in NJ/NY. Thanksgiving was a wash-out, so to speak. ANd of COURSE it was NICE today, and WARMER. And it's supposed to be nice the whole weekend! Stupid rain and its stupid timing...oh well, at least the food was delicious.

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlooGirl View Post
It rained the entire day here in NJ/NY. Thanksgiving was a wash-out, so to speak. ANd of COURSE it was NICE today, and WARMER. And it's supposed to be nice the whole weekend! Stupid rain and its stupid timing...oh well, at least the food was delicious.
We had the same storm up here in CT. Cold and wet all day, but it was a good excuse to stay in and watch the marathon on CN.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

WHAT? Upstate NY is still SNOW FREE! It was 55 today!!!