Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Default Turkey Day Menus!

What are you having for Thanksgiving this year? For those of us who are responsible for feeding the family, now is the time to hammer out your menu and hit the store, before all the good frozen birds are gone. I am cursed with a rather picky and unadventurous family however (as well as most of us being diabetic), so I must juggle being traditional with being creative with care. Too traditional and not everyone can enjoy everything and too creative and people flee screaming. My goal is to one day marry into an adventurous family with no nutritional problems.

Here is the Read Family menu for this year:

Devilled Eggs: A patented Read Family recipe! They are required fare on all major holidays.

Celery Sticks-With-Cream-Cheese and Olive Platter: I hate olives but my dad inhales them, so we have to have them.

Stuffed Turkey-In-A-Bag: Oven bags are where it's at when it comes to flawless roasting without losing moistness - though the birds to tend to fall apart a bit. For the dressing I'll have to just make something out of a box so I don't scare anybody. (But they had chestnuts at Trader Joe's so I bought them anyways!! I'll just have to eat them myself later or something, but I *have* them. They make me feel adventurous, anyways.)

Mashed Potatoes: I could personally do without these because of the dressing but we just *have* to have them, God forbid we don't!

Turkey Gravy: From a can, baby!

Biscuits: Also from a can!

Cranberry Sauce: HOORAY FOR CANS.

Sweet Potatoes: I may actually make these from scratch, but don't tell the can people.

Green Beans: NOT a casserole, ew. Just fresh steamed green beans. I insist on a green vegetable NOT swimming in cream of mushroom soup. Sorry, Dad.

Apple Pie: I'm going to make this from scratch so I can make it low-sugar.

Pumpkin Brown Betty: I expect a mutiny, but I am making this instead of pumpkin pie this year. It is so freaking GOOD, I just threw the recipe together last month and the test run was a smashing success (with the test subject, me). I cook and can my own pumpkin, too.

There will be vanilla ice cream and fresh whipped cream for the desserts.

And there will only be FOUR people at this thing, lol. Well, the bird can help us with the leftovers.

What are you guys having, those who celebrate?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I no longer celebrate that holiday so, not being bound by any traditions, I shall eat whatever pleases me at the time. There is a very good chance that an orange roughy fillet will be on the menu; I first tasted this glorious fish earlier this year, and I've been singing it's praises ever since. There will be a vegetable on my plate as well, though I have no idea which one. I'm thinking about Brussels sprouts right now. Rice or noodles will round out the menu, along with some cranberry jelly and quite possibly some mashed turnips as well (I love turnips). Iced tea will be the beverage of choice, as it is during the rest of the year, and as usual I won't bother with dessert. I plan on being quite stuffed by the day's end.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 11-24-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
SkittleMonkey
Foster's Legend
Snoozer ish lurve.  

Send a message via MSN to SkittleMonkey

Well, my family has two Thanksgivings. My mom's cooking the lunch one, and my grandma takes care of the dinner one. Let's see here. What are we having?
Well, my mom's making:

Mashed Potatos: Of course, it's never Thanksgiving without them.

Turkey: Duh.

Stuffin': Most likely homemade. I don't care, though, because I never eat it...

Macaroni and Cheese: She's BAKING it this time. *slurpy noises*

Pumpkin Pie: From a can!

Chocalate Chip Cookies: Break & Bake!

I don't know what grandma plans on making, but there's one thing I know for sure. If my uncle shows up, there's sure to be some type of fried chicken, since he can't cook worth crap.
Patrick: Yeah, you could be bald and have a big nose!
---------------------------------------------------
Eduardo: No, Senor Bloo! They es magic, not drive around in no car!
Bloo: Nope, he lost his magic; now he dresses like a lady, and the butterfly has legs and an afro.

Last edited by SkittleMonkey; 11-20-2006 at 07:36 AM.
SkittleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

I am bringing pumpkin pie to mother's house for T-day. I am celebrating with just my mom, aunt, grandma, and girlfriend. Then my girlfriend and I are going to another T-day function.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
BabyElephant
Settling In

When it comes to Thanksgiving, I turn into complete trailer trash. Cranberry sauce has gotta come from a can (complete with ridges), green bean casserole (gotta disagree with you on that one, Sparky) with canned mushroom soup and canned green beans...just a turkey breast though. I'd love to do a whole turkey, since I love both dark meat and plenty of leftovers, but good luck finding a turkey here for under $25 or so.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

Well..

Biscuits- A must. The sweet Pilsbury kind that comes in a can... We buy ten cans, and last year we STILL didn't have enough...

Turkey- Of course.

Cranberry sauce- When I was little, my mom would make in in shapes... A star, or a lamb, or something... Now it's out of a can.

Velveeta Mac & Cheese- It's all my six-year-old brother will eat...

Corn- Yum.

Mashed Potatoes- From a box, because it's the only kind my grandpa will eat.

Pumpkin pie- Made by my mama...

Mozzerella balls- My grandma's favorite...

Stuff from Cosco, 'cause that's where my Aunt Suzie shops and we're eating at her house...

And all the other goodies...

Oops. I was just recalling last year, and I realized I borrowed their copy of Moulin Rouge.

I think I never gave it back...

Oops.

-Marty
Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Well, I'm just guessing that my grandma is making what she makes every year: turkey (of course), mashed potatoes (SO good!), corn, stuffing, biscuits, probably salad. And then dessert is at my grandparents' house from my mom's side, and there I think we have chocolate pudding pie (my FAVORITE, made JUST for me...but other people can eat it too ), apple pie, and cake and ice cream (since we're celebrating my cousin's and my grandpa's birthday).
Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
SkittleMonkey
Foster's Legend
Snoozer ish lurve.  

Send a message via MSN to SkittleMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrocks73 View Post
Velveeta Mac & Cheese- It's all my six-year-old brother will eat...
Hm, your six-year-old brother has good taste...
Patrick: Yeah, you could be bald and have a big nose!
---------------------------------------------------
Eduardo: No, Senor Bloo! They es magic, not drive around in no car!
Bloo: Nope, he lost his magic; now he dresses like a lady, and the butterfly has legs and an afro.

Last edited by SkittleMonkey; 11-20-2006 at 12:51 PM.
SkittleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
DoubleLatte
At Home

I've been looking forward to this holiday for months.

My Thanksgiving Day menu..

The star of the show: the bird.

Mashed potatoes (and gravy).

Corn

Biscuits or rolls (We haven't discussed those, but chances are, they'll be out of a bag or out of a can. I don't mind either way. There's enough stuff to cook from scratch anyway).

Homemade bread and meat stuffing

And for dessert, pumpkin, pecan, apple, and blueberry pie. There's a lot of us, so we always stock up on the desserts.

I'm looking around the food network site for a vegetable side dish to try out this year. Those guys always have intereresting ideas.
DoubleLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Your family has good taste, Sparky. I'm lovin' me some deviled eggs.

If nobody here has ever tried pumpkin cheesecake, you should. It is exquisite.