Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Default Nintendo DS Browser

I want to get a DS so I can use the internet browser, but I'm confused. There seems to be a DS and a DS Lite, which one do I want? Is the Lite just the new version of the DS? What do you guys think of the DS browser? And does anyone *not* recommend using the DS to use the internet for any reason?

(Btw, I wouldn't mind getting a used one as long as it still works fine - cosmetic problems don't bother me - so if anyone has one to sell that they can guarantee works fine let me know. )
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Nem
At Home
There's no "I" in team, but there's a "me" if you jumble it up a bit...  

Send a message via AIM to Nem Send a message via MSN to Nem

I don't know much about using the DS to browse the internet, but I can at least attempt to tell you the differences between the DS lite, as opposed to the regular DS.

The DS lite is, as you said, the newer version of the DS, kind of like the GBA versus the GBA SP.

The DS lite is smaller and lighter, and also has four different levels of brightness for the screen. The power button is located on the side, as opposed to the front, and the battery life is longer, but can vary depending on what brightness level you choose. The stylus is also larger. However, if you intend to play GBA games on the DS lite, do note that they do extend out past the bottom of the DS lite, by about 1 cm.

As for the regular DS, it's bigger, bulkier, doesn't have as good of battery life, also does not have four levels of brightness, and the GBA cartridge does not extend out past the bottom.

I've played both, and I guess I am weird to say I prefer the regular DS as opposed to the DS lite, the lite seems a bit too flimsy for me, but again, that's just me =P

I also see no point in me buying a lite, since I have a DS and it has had no problems at all with anything. Perhaps if it were to die on me I'd buy a lite, but I just hope it doesn't come to that =)

As for which one to get? Either one is fine really, it's just what you prefer =D
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Wait...you can play GBA games on the DS?? I had no idea! Awesome!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Nem
At Home
There's no "I" in team, but there's a "me" if you jumble it up a bit...  

Send a message via AIM to Nem Send a message via MSN to Nem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Wait...you can play GBA games on the DS?? I had no idea! Awesome!
Sure can =) You just can't play gameboy color games =(
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

The difference between the Lite browser and the original DS browser is that they only work for their respective systems. If you have a Lite, get the browser for the Lite and if you have a standard DS, get the standard DS browser.
The only real problem is that the Lite browser is the only one on retail. If you want the standard DS browser you'll have to buy it from nintendo's website. And if you don't already have a wireless router you can purchase the special Nintendo USB port that will allow the Nintedo Wii, DS, and DS Lite to go online. You can find these items here
As for using the handheld browsers to surf the net, I have not used them myself, but I hear they are, understandably, slower than a PC. My guess is that it would be similar to the Wii browser because it would take a longer time to load screens and sites. But it's usually no longer than 30 to 60 seconds (depending on your connection I suppose).
Another thing to consider is that, unlike the Wii, I don't think you're able to download updates for the browser to view newer flash sites. This may mean that you would have to buy a newer browser down the road if they make one.
I hope that helps, Sparky.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Crash-N-Cortex
Permanent Resident
I'm back with my Chimchar!  

Send a message via Yahoo to Crash-N-Cortex

It's good that you're getting a DS, Sparky. I'm think of getting the new DS lite since one of the screens of my standard DS is not working and missing the DS pen so I had to use a DS lite pen. Either way, it's okay to pick the standard DS, although the DS lite will seem a bit better.

Crash-N-Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Ricky Fieldmouse
Revived Member

HELLO THERE. I'M DOCTOR RABBIT  

Send a message via MSN to Ricky Fieldmouse

I don't have the browser for myself, but I heard it had slow loading times. Probably because the server is in Japan somewhere. I also heard it doesn't support Java or Flash, but I've heard people say otherwise.

As for the DS choosing, I'd recommend the lite over the original. In fact, I haven't even seen boxes for the DS Phat in a while.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Shelltoon
A Caring Individual

So sweet...  

I think they phased out the old DS because the DSLite is printing more money for Nintendo. As for the browser... I haven't been able to try it because I can't find a Nintendo Wi-Fi hot spot. Maybe I need to buy that silly USB Wi-Fi adapter thingy.
Shelltoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

I can tell you right now that the one accessory that is a must buy for any DS owner is stick on screen protectors, I can say with much certainty that they will save your screens from a lot of ware and tear. Extra styluses are a good idea too since just in case the unthinkable happens and the stylus that came with the system goes to the land of the lost.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
Subzeroace
Has a PhD in Horribleness

Burning things is fun and useful!  

Send a message via AIM to Subzeroace

Is the DS browser out now? I should get it for my original DS, the PSP browser is awwwwful x.x only good for d/ling demos XD