Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #81
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I don't know if this exactly "made my day" but it was kind of cool...

Okay first off, I have this habit that's going to get my ass kicked some day: I treat kids like intelligent human beings. I talk to them the same way I talk to adults. I don't mean, like, babies or toddlers of course, but older kids. And what I mean about it possibly getting me in trouble some day is, if a kid is rude to me I snap at them the same way I'd snap at an adult - NOBODY gets away with being rude to me if I can do anything about it. And my gut reaction to being kicked or insulted is to confront the person, even if it's a kid, and even if their parents are right there.

So today in the pet store I was waiting to get some crickets for my tarantulas (they are HUNGRY after our vacation) and there was a young girl there with her mom also getting crickets. She asked me what I was getting crix for and I said tarantulas and she was all "EWWW, how can you have TARANTULAS??"

I never let anyone get away with that. I let her know in no uncertain terms that it is NOT acceptable, ever, to insult someone's pets like that. You don't have to like my pets, but if you insult them or me for having them I'm not going to meekly bow my head or whatever. Just because they're not fluffy bunnies they and I don't deserve to be insulted. Anyways she said nothing, and neither did her mom.

Later when GM and I were playing with the birds she came over (I don't know if it was on her own or her mom told her to) and she apologised. She said she has rats and that happens to her too, and yes it's rude. That was just kinda cool, nobody (kid or adult) ever apologises to me for insulting my tarantulas. I still feel bad for snapping at her, as I usually do when I have tell a kid off (it's not like she was *really* rude, it's just I'm tired of hearing "ew gross what's wrong with you for having spiders??").
YOU GO, GIRL!! I HATE it, with a passion, if someone disses MY choice of pets, whether it's snakes, or tarantulas, or Pit Bulls, based on their ignorance/stupidity. I too, deal with kids as if they were adults; the way I see it, if they want to try to act like they're all grown-up, they need to be prepared for real adults to TREAT them like they are, and that means taking off the kid gloves. At least this kid did have the intelligence to realize that SHE was potentially in the same proverbial boat as you are; many, many people despise rats, and are even terrified of them, mainly because they think that rats are all nasty, filthy, vicious creatures that only live in the sewers and other dark, scary places.

I got my eyes opened, so to speak, back when I was in college, and I had ferrets. Ferrets were my real passion, in spite of the fact that there was a lot of controversy around them. Many places still classified, and banned, ferrets are "wild animals", which they aren't. There were many lurid newspaper headlines of ferrets attacking and mauling infants and this was used as fuel for the "ban wagon". Most people weren't familiar with ferrets, since they weren't that popular or well-known back then, and all people knew was what they read in the newspapers and what the politicians told them. This was about the time that Rottweilers were getting a really bad rep, and every thug and biker and redneck HAD to have one. At a pet show, I encountered an older woman, who had a Rottweiler(an AKC show champion, it turned out, and the lady herself was a dog show judge). I had two of my ferrets to enter in a costume competition. As we were watching another entry, the dog got close to me, and I backed away and asked the woman to please control her dog. She asked me if I was afraid of dogs, and I told her "no, I'm not afraid of dogs...just THOSE dogs. I've heard too many bad things about them!" She responded by looking at my ferrets, held tightly to my chest lest they be eaten by that black-and-tan monster, and said, "You have ferrets. Don't they attack babies and suck their blood? That's what I've heard about THEM!" Her point was well-taken, and I realized that all of us animal owners, especially those who CHOOSE to have animals that might be scary, or gross, or strange to people who only know of what they've "heard," usually through questionable sources, about those animals, were in the same boat. I had no more right to judge HER dog or choice of dog than she had to judge MY ferrets, and both of us were basing our opinions on heresay-stuff that was largely the concoction of the "if it bleeds, it leads" media. At least that little girl in the pet shop got that education early, and was mature enough to deal with it. Bravo for you, and bravo for her, and bravo for her MOM for letting her kid take her lumps instead of trying to coddle her and take up for her, as most parents would have done.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #82
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Right now as I type, I'm listening to the theme from the movie The Princess Bride on the radio! I have never in my life, over the last 20 years since this movie has been out, heard this song on the RADIO! That totally made my day, er.., night!

Such a pretty song.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #83
creamz06
Kissing Tiny Flowers

?  

Send a message via Yahoo to creamz06

I want to post this now since I didn't get back to this site until just yesterday night, and this happened on Monday. What made my day was when I first went to Rapid City (yes, I'm a South Dakotan). It was fun being there for the first time because, consider me as a siren enthusiast [fascinated by air raid sirens--and some people might consider that kinda weird, and I'm weird], I got to see my favorite all-time siren... by McDonald's, nonetheless. That was pretty much what made my day great, mostly. My digital camera didn't work so I never got a picture of it. But yet, it was fun.

Lately, my days have been boring, so not much has been happening lately. Something interesting should happen soon.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #84
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

I bought a pack of El Monterey burritos last weekend because they're cheap but yummy. There's 10 per a pack. I was expecting to eat the last two tonight, but at emptying the bag, three came out. I thought back to how many I had over the last few days and yup, there should have only been two left. An 11th slipped past the factory scale somehow. That totally made my day because they were sooooo goooooood!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #85
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I went out this afternoon and got a tuna grinder for lunch. Elmwood grinder usually wraps them up and stuffs them in a bag but the lady who makes them packed this one so full that it wouldn't fit in a regular grinder bag and had to be put in a styrofoam case, and even that was almost too small:

Wow. I don't think I'll be needing dinner until tommorrow. This definitely made my day.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 08-06-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added a larger picture.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #86
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Despite my not being fond of any type of seafood, that looks delicious. I love grinders/sub sandwiches. And the more toppings, the better, imho. Yum!

Wanna know what I ate a little while ago? I finished the vanilla ice cream I had gotten specifically for root beer floats last weekend. I topped it off with hot fudge. And after the ice cream was gone but I realized I had some hot fudge left, I took to the jar with a spoon! More yum! Hot fudge ALWAYS makes my day.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #87
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

I woke up this morning to find my dog asleep on my arm. He had been snuggled up like that the whole night

I personally wouldn't be able to own a pet tarantula, but kudos for people who could. By the way, the P. Metallica breed is especially beautiful. I honestly thought it was a Photoshop job at first.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #88
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I got to see a particularly daring deer cross the street to get to some persons berry bush on their lawn during traffic.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #89
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

The price of gas dropped today in my hometown to $3.97. Yeah, still high, but I'm counting my blessings. It's sure better than $4.57, which it was not all that long ago. Filling my tank now costs more like $40 when it was more like $55 a month or two ago.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #90
L.G.
Melvineer

My mother treated me to Baltimore's Aquarium in Inner Harbor for my birthday. We couldn't get in the aquarium right away, so we sat down in a restaurant where a pigeon later walked in and started eating the table scraps on the floor...except the shrimp (the restaurant had outdoor tables). Then we went to a nearby office building with an observation floor...great views of the city.

In the aquarium they had a 4-D show with various special effects like air jets that blew on the back of the legs and--get this--bubbles. A couple of kids couldn't handle it, and one even said, "Not again!" One of the exhibits had an alligator sleeping on a log, and another had a white fishing popping its head out of his hole . One of my favorite exhibits was the one containing poison dart frogs...the ones with enough poison to kill 10 humans.

On the way to and from the aquarium, there is a convention center, and there was some sort of event going on. People were dressed up as various anime, comic and video game characters. Among the characters portrayed were the following:
-Speeder Racer
-Sailor Moon
-a couple of Naruto characters
-Iron Man
-Batman
-Link
-Captain Falcon (wished I asked him to do a Falcon Punch)
-Spider Man
-Dr. Weird from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
-The Ancient Minister from Super Smash Brothers Brawl's Adventure Mode

Last edited by L.G.; 08-09-2008 at 09:07 PM.
L.G. is offline   Reply With Quote