Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #821
basilsunshine
Settling In
I get by with a little help from my friends.  

Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma. I'm native american. & no, it's not a farm.

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHEONIX.

Midnight showing man.
Gotta love it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #822
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

The plan is I'll be seeing Transformers tonight so I'll be back to give my impressions.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #823
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
Speaking of which, did you see the Get Smart trailer at the beginning, and what did you think of it? I reckon it's gonna rock!
Actually I did. I've heard about this movie remake for a long time and no progress was ever achieved until the original Get Smart actor died recently. That's when it kicked into high gear and used Steve Carrell's success to make it even more "big top".

I first didn't think I'd care for this movie. I never had seen or heard of the series prior, and I thought it would be like cheesy, old kiddie humor or cheap slapstick. But the trailer made it look very clever, very funny and in fact, I am actually looking froward to seeing it.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #824
emperor26
Foster's Legend

At the moment, I have already finish watching Transformers (which was a week ago), and currently, I'm planning to see "The Simpsons Movie" once it comes out.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #825
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

At the Theaters: Ratatouille

At Home: Ultraviolet

Next movie to see in Theaters: Harry Potter: "Order of the Phoenix", on FRIDAY, JULY 13th, @ 12:10 PM.

Last edited by antgirl1; 07-14-2007 at 11:05 AM.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #826
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

ferris bueller's day off

great movie, i am in awe of it. not much else to say
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 AM   #827
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

Haven't seen Transformers but Kevin saw it earlier this week. He said he lost brain cells watching it.

The contemporizing of Underdog is presumably conventional wisdom of introducing the character to a new generation of movie goers in spite of the fact that he's a TV character created back in 1964. Virtually nobody born from 1987 on knows who Underdog is, so they'll be approaching this film with the presumption that this is a Disney original. There will be a screen credit (I'm sure) that will say "based on the character created by Chet Stovers and Buck Biggers" but who reads those credits today?

Among the liberties taken: this Underdog doesn't talk in rhyme (there but for the grace of Wally Cox go I). If he has a secret identity, it certainly isn't Shoeshine Boy. In a sure PC move, no Underdog super energy pill. No Sweet Polly Purebred. None of the villains like Simon Barsinister or Riff Raff. And even if it did have all those, the movie would still be a dud because on average, live versions of cartoon shows have had a miserable track record. It cannot be done successfully because it's stretching out formula and convention from thirty to ninety minutes. But as with such cut-to-the-quick Disney products, it will attract the most undiscriminating movie goers and launch at least one direct-to-DVD sequel.

Last edited by Ccook50; 07-13-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Ccook50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #828
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I too believe the movie is a god awful, image destroying piece of cinematic crap however I have to say Ccook that you are wrong on some of your points. The commercials and ads DO reveal some of those characters you mentioned.

Polly Purebred IS in it, I think Riff Raff is also, and I know for a FACT Simon Barsinister is in it and I think he actually looked kind of cool looking. I do know of Underdog and the basics of him but I'm no expert.

Either way, I have no intention of seeing this movie and I know that whether your a Underdog fan or not, you can tell this is not him at all. It would have been smarter if they animated the dog into his cartoon yellow appearance.

While it still would probably be put in the same crappy direction it's being put in now, I think at least keeping his appearance then a CGI beagle with a cape would have looked much better and been less degrading for the character.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #829
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

Peter Dinklage is playing Simon, and if anyone is really going to sell their character it's him. He looks the part in the commercial and anyone who has seen his work knows he's a superb actor.

I think the reason this seems like such a bad translation is because much of the charm from the original just doesn't seem to fit into a modern live-action "blockbuster." The rhyme, the anthropomorphized animals, the very cartoony schemes. But I'll have to wait to see this one before I can really call it out on any of these things. For all we know this could be surprisingly good. And so far Disney didn't try to bury it, even after that brush with controversy over the tagline.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #830
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

I acquiese, since I hadn't seen the trailer or any sneak peek clips. Still, you couldn't pay me enough to appear as a villain in a live action movie like this and utter lines like "Simon says, (insert threatening command here)."