Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Supporting Cast

Notices

Supporting Cast Discuss everyone else in the show, both human and imaginary. For discussions about single, specific characters only.

View Poll Results: Rate "Imposter's Home"
A 11 24.44%
B 4 8.89%
C 13 28.89%
D 8 17.78%
F 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #71
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

I rewatched this episode. it;s not as bad as I thought when I first saw it. It's definitely one of the worse episodes, but ain actuaality, I think Goof ball, if he just came to Fosters, was probably more just "hey, people do stuff for me" than anything else.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #72
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Really, you can describe Goofball in three words:

Big Fat Jerkface.

In all honesty, while I don't despise the character, I have no real love for him either. For the most part, I agree with Kzinistzerg in the fact that he was just mooching and not actually actively attempting to hurt Frankie, despite the fact that that's what occured.

Yet at the same time, I think people take way, way, way to much offense at the character and the episode he was in. Don't get me wrong by any means, Frankie fans; I'm a Frankie fan also, though not to the point where I'm a fanboy. And yes, she was treated very poorly and there was nothing in the episode that was actually entertaining and seemed primarily as a "dump on Frankie" episode, which is why I hated it so much. But whether there was actual malice intended in this episode, or if it was merely intended to make us sympathetic towards Frankie, is beyond me (or if the crew just made a blunder and released an episode that attacked a character with one of the highest fanbases), though I honestly don't there was intended ill will. In my mind, it wasn't so much an attack on Frankie as much as it was actually showing the viewer what she pretty much has to do day in, day out and giving a clearer picture as to what she has to go through. And while Goofball was a jerk, I don't think he was a malicious jerk; he was kind of like Bloo in the regard that he did things without thinking what kind of repercussions they might have. Not that he was anywhere near as good a character or entertaining, mind you.

Was Goofball a jerk? Yes. Was Goofball intentionally trying to hurt Frankie? Probably not. Did Frankie deserve what she went through? No. Is this event in her life even worth remembering?

No.

Again, I'm not trying to dumb down what Frankie went through; it was undeniably harsh, and that was the main reason I hated that episode. But at the same time, I heavily doubt the events in this episode will come back to haunt her, or at least bother her for years, if even months. This is due mainly to the fact that Goofball is gone, and hopefully we'll never see the little jerk again. He gave her quite a lashing, but he's no longer there to constantly remind her of it. Quite different from the case of a little eight year old boy who was embarrassed in front of all his friends, by all of his friends, who had made him go through an unnecessary guilt trip so he'd make a fool out of himself. And this was under the guise of what his best friend considered a birthday party. (Please GOD don't flame me. Like I said, Frankie's lashing was unbelievably harsh, but I still say Mac's in "IOHSFY" was even more so).

Anyway, to conclude:

Goofball was a jerk, but not enough of a jerk to be worth remembering or worrying over.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #73
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Goofball Magee = Definitely a jerk, but funny too. Sometimes I like the characters that act like total buttheads, because they sooner or later expose their weaknesses; when they do - the protaganist can move in for the kill
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #74
Voxxyn
Banned

Nathander, from a logical point of view, you are absolutely right. But it doesn't change my hatred of the episode and Goofball, nor does it make me feel any better knowing that the Foster's crew actually thought it would be funny and that Cartoon Network even broadcast it in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong about feeling it was a purposeful attack, but the episode does too much of a good job on making me feel like it was. Frankie's supermarket woes didn't really have anything to do with the actual storyline of a human disguising himself as an IF, yet there it is anyway. And I still don't get what was supposed to be so funny about Frankie being denied from going to the concert, despite all the extra work she did throughout the entire episode, just so that she can do EVEN MORE WORK.

I'm sorry, but it's not so easy to just forget about this episode and what it did.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #75
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

The episode was really annoying to watch, but I think a lot of that is because up until the very end Goofball is portrayed as a teenager pretending to be an imaginary friend who gets away with everything, which makes everything he did ten thousand times as annoying. I didn't mind him as much after Frankie ripped his nose off and realized she'd been falsely accusing him for twenty minutes. Which I should have seen coming from a mile away, but. His antagonizing wasn't totally unprovoked.

Personally I didn't think it was malicious; IOHSFY and Everyone Knows It's Bendy were worse. Yeah, Frankie got screwed, but she just missed a concert and had to do a bunch of extra chores. Which happens like, a lot. It's not like anyone was plotting her demise.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-15-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #76
Voxxyn
Banned

Just missed a concert? Just did some extra chores?

You are COMPLETELY TRIVIALIZING what Frankie had to endure in that episode. Simply missing a concert or working a little harder than usual is one thing. It's another thing entirely for these things to happen thanks to a devious moocher who spends the entire day taking advantage of someone. And since it happened to a character that is already very sympathetic and underappreciated, it was simply hurtful and meanspirited.

"Imposter's Home" is INFINITELY WORSE than "Bendy" ever was. Bendy was unmistakeably evil, but what he did to Bloo and the others is NOT EVEN CLOSE to what Goofball did to Frankie. They didn't get completely abused, overworked and cruelly denied from something they were really anticipating, like it was the case with Frankie.

By the time the episode was over, I didn't AT ALL care about the whole "human or imaginary" story. All I had on my mind was revulsion about what happened to my favorite character, and extreme disappointment towards the entire crew for actually thinking the entire episode would be a good idea. To this day, I still worry that the Foster's crew could potentially slip and create another hurtful monstrosity on an episode like this one.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #77
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Frankie brought missing the concert and scrubbing the floors on herself by pretending to be an imaginary friend.

Bendy wasn't that bad (I love Bendy, shh), but IOHSFY made me cringe. So did the Foster's Goes to Europe ending.

Goofball (and Bloo) ate all the food and made Frankie do laundry and made a mess and Frankie was only furious with him because she thought he was a teenager. It's not his fault she didn't believe him, if someone falsely accused me in public constantly I'd try to annoy them too.

Sorry if I offended you, I just didn't think it was all that bad. Of course, because I don't like Frankie, I wasn't emotionally involved. I don't like seeing Bloo bullied, so I can see where this would hurt to watch if you love Frankie.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:17 PM   #78
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
she thought he was a teenager. It's not his fault she didn't believe him,
Yes, it is his fault. He could have taken off that stupid rubber nose anytime and showed her his trunk, a feature that human teens don't have.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #79
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Did she specify?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #80
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The odd thing about Bendy is while it is obvious he is more evil then Goofball, the fact of the matter is that there are different kinds of evils. And if I had to compare these guys antics to each other, regardless of INTENTION, I would say Goofball's antics are extremely more evil then what Bendy does.

Bloo doesn't really have anything to do his whole life, except play around and look for something that interests him. Bendy was sticking minor pranks and incidents on Bloo because he is in fact an ass, an evil one. But Goofball's actual effect was much more evil then his original intention in the first place.

And that's the whole differece, who DOES something. Bloo has zero responsibility. Frankie does everything around the house and not only does everyone pretty much agree she gets jack as far as appreciation goes, but Goofball didn't care what he did or ate or how it affected Frankie at all.

Bloo doesn't spend his own money for groceries, Bloo doesn't keep the house clean, Bloo doesn't put the baby IFs to bed, Bloo doesn't even go out for grocieries, but Frankie does. She does alot around the house and she doesn't need to be taking guff from some smart ass jerk who's purpousely being lazy.

Frankie doesn't deserve that kind of treatment for all she's done, Bloo to an extent does. Sorry Bloo fans, but Bloo has done some pretty bad things himself and his selfishness has offended me and Mac plenty of times. In a way, Bloo had some of it coming. He's no devil but he's no angel either.
Closed Thread