Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #781
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

That's why I really only pay attention to the Buy It Now listings these days.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 AM   #782
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The most aggravating thing that ever happened to me on Ebay was when I’d placed a bid on an item that I really, really wanted almost as soon as the listing had appeared. The auction was set to last for a week, during the course of which my bid had remained the item's sole bid, and I'd been waiting very eagerly for it to end. Come the final day, there were still several hours to go before the auction ended, so I stepped away from my computer for a bit and got on with some urgent business in the outside world. I came back a couple of hours later to discover that, not only had I been outbid, but the auction had ended hours earlier than scheduled. Apparently it is perfectly permissible for bidders to contact the seller and ask them to end the auction early while their bid is still on top (though why a seller would choose to do so when there‘s the chance that they could rake in a little more money is slightly beyond me), but it still strikes me as a form of cheating, and it's totally unfair on anyone else who might be hoping for a chance to win the item. I’m really not all that bitter about this anymore, since I did eventually get the item in question elsewhere and at a reasonable price, but I felt pretty darn chargrined at the time.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 11-24-2007 at 03:09 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #783
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

like sparky said. buy it now is a better option. i just get annoyed whenever i dont have any money to get what i want on ebay. which happens alot.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #784
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Apparently it is perfectly permissible for bidders to contact the seller and ask them to end the auction early while their bid is still on top (though why a seller would choose to do so when there?s the chance that they could rake in a little more money is slightly beyond me), but it still strikes me as a form of cheating, and it's totally unfair on anyone else who might be hoping for a chance to win the item.
I was not aware that that was allowed. Wow, that's so unfair to everyone else, and yeah, as far as I'm concerned it's highly unethical and definitely constitutes cheating.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #785
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
I believe in love as a general whole, but I really believe the idea of friendship to be the true highest attainable form of love. I personally hold the idea of true romantic love as a myth that can only be achieved in fiction, and a myth that is dangerous if you fall into it.
Aw

You may be right. I do believe in complex interdependence that creates structures of incredible beauty. That's how I think of love, it's what makes life different from a bunch of things and events. What is indeed dangerous is expectation but you should never expect anything really. Anything could happen.

Your right about friendship though. Perhaps that's love in its most democratic form.

As for these Ebay types who end auctions prematurely, they should be kicked off for spoiling the auction system that serves me as a seller very well. Buy-it-Nows are a pain because they cost more to list and you've got that balancing act of deciding what you can get and what you might have got if you got lucky or have made a good listing. You get a buzz when an auction runs out of control and people bid silly money because desire had overwhelmed logic. Not been happening much recently though.

EDIT! What also Ticks me off is having a post sitting around at the top of the pile for a couple of days going stagnant and stinky. Yuck. C'mon people!

Oh yeh and I've got to go away all weekend when all I can think about is round 2 of the NF Flashchat quiz. Damnation!

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 11-24-2007 at 01:58 AM.
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #786
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Well, I got a pay raise from my evening job, but I'm not celebrating. I'm still paid less than most newer, less experienced people that haven't been around for even 1/2 year (I worked over there for 6+ yrs.). So, the pay raise was nothing but a kick in the face to me.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #787
Nem
At Home
There's no "I" in team, but there's a "me" if you jumble it up a bit...  

Send a message via AIM to Nem Send a message via MSN to Nem

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Radical Dude View Post
Well, I got a pay raise from my evening job, but I'm not celebrating. I'm still paid less than most newer, less experienced people that haven't been around for even 1/2 year (I worked over there for 6+ yrs.). So, the pay raise was nothing but a kick in the face to me.
Completely understandable, I'd be livid.

I got kicked down to 12 hours of work this week, for no reason. I've proved myself worthy of a full time position, I got someone arrested for shoplifting today, and I'm at work on time all the time (except once, but it was due to a car accident), and yet I get 12 hours.

While another full time worker is late a whole lot, or just plain doesn't show without calling in as to why, gets 35+ hours. I'd love for him to be fired so I may be promoted, it's very frustrating, especially when you work your butt off and don't even get rewarded with a full time position.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #788
Sparky

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I had a boss (who had just started there) knock me down to something like 6 hours a week (I'm not even exaggerating, I was working like one hour and 15 minutes a day). I finally asked her why, and she said it was because she had heard me make a joke once to a co-worker about needing my "beauty sleep." She had heard me tell a co-worker I wasn't getting enough BEAUTY SLEEP so she knocked me down to SIX HOURS a week. I can't tell you how mad I was. Because it was so incredibly stupid. No, it wasn't an insult (as in "you need all a beauty sleep you can get"), she honestly thought I wanted SO much sleep that I only wanted to work a handful of hours a week. Just because I made one comment that - excuse me - was obviously a JOKE!

Now, she ended up getting bullied out of there by the workers after only a month or so because she did dumb stuff like that all the time. How does someone like that get to be a manager?? No, don't answer.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #789
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I had a boss (who had just started there) knock me down to something like 6 hours a week (I'm not even exaggerating, I was working like one hour and 15 minutes a day). I finally asked her why, and she said it was because she had heard me make a joke once to a co-worker about needing my "beauty sleep." She had heard me tell a co-worker I wasn't getting enough BEAUTY SLEEP so she knocked me down to SIX HOURS a week. I can't tell you how mad I was. Because it was so incredibly stupid. No, it wasn't an insult (as in "you need all a beauty sleep you can get"), she honestly thought I wanted SO much sleep that I only wanted to work a handful of hours a week. Just because I made one comment that - excuse me - was obviously a JOKE!

Now, she ended up getting bullied out of there by the workers after only a month or so because she did dumb stuff like that all the time. How does someone like that get to be a manager?? No, don't answer.
was she mildly retarded?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #790
Sparky

Nah, but she was kinda...bubble-headed. Whatever.