Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #711
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I actually was amazed by Hoskins American accent in Roger rabbit, in fact, I think it's one of the greatest accents for an actor with an accent to use. When I saw behind the scenes for this special effects show, they had Hoskins on interview and it shocked me to hear him talk in his true accent.

In anycase, first thing I should note is the Mummy series was originally a remake and in fact became it's own kind of story once Sommers got hold of it. Mummy movies actually relied heavy on action, the thing that made the movies good though weren't just the effects, it was the actors and dialouge.

The first movie especially had particuarly fresh and memorable lines, and the actors were not "every day" mega stars like Cruise or Nicole Kidman so it was neat to see them on screen and work surprisingly well together. Weather man actually didn't seme to envoke any kind of "heart" from my perspective.

The movie also seemed slow sometimes, even though it is a really good movie. The thing that's amazing about Pirates is that Verbinski managed to create such amazingly iconic characters, original storylines, and unique creatures all from some ride at an amusement park in Disney world.

To make a movie out of a ride sounds stupid, just like this whole Sims thing, you'd have to be a damn good director and enough original material to make the story your own and make it interesting to watch. Gore did that. He expanded the Pirates ride into another world and made unforgettable characters.

Sparrow, Barbossa, Davy Jones, and even Chow Yun-Fat's Sao Fang character got so much word of mouth around, these characters are becoming more part of our culture. They have changed the way we look at Pirates and if you ask me, it makes me appreciate such hard work Gore did on these films.

I never would have in a million years been able to come up with such a unique idea like cursed gold, pirate immortals, or giving the name of Davy Jones such an original appearance had I been doing this film. I don't mind franchises being made, revamped, resurrected, or continued or whatever.

It only matters if the quality has dropped or the actor/directors have taken it in a new path that totally botches everything that made it good in the first place up. To date i don't feel Pirates has crossed that path and as long as the same care and effort is put into the series, I wouldn't mind a 4,5, and 6.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #712
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

the breakfeast club.

one of the greatest movies ive seen in a while. there really should be more movies like it
Old 05-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #713
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

I still feel it lacked heart and warmth and a certain sense of magic. I never felt like I was truly transported as I did with such films as Star Wars, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones or Ghostbusters to name a few.

The effects, while being touted as the best work ILM has done in years, because apparently everyone forgot that such a good job was done on War of the Worlds especially given the time frame, never seem to really grab me like those for Jurassic Park just 13 years before.

I'll even go so far as to say I had more fun with one of the screenwriters' more reviled works, Godzilla, which actually would have been more appreciated if not for the name.

I don't know. I'm just not really feeling these films like everyone else is. It seems that the only people still making blockbusters where the magic comes first is Pixar.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those oldheads who absolutely hates everything from the current decade. In fact many of my fave films, inlcuding my all-time favorite are from this decade. But it really seems like many have lost their way, and the fact that many are touting this as the good stuff of the decade makes me mourn for the next generation of Hollywood filmmakers.

That aside, I do believe you are right about Gore being a fantastic director. I just don't think these are his best work. I'd like to see him go back to some smaller works. I hope he doesn't pull a Cameron and then disappear for 10 years.

As for accents, I think good accents are along the line of Nicole Kidman's American accent and Gillian Anderson's British accent. Though in truth they really aren't pushing them as they both have acquired them naturally. The problem with Hoskins was he was trying to sound too tough. It's like he aimed for Nicholson's Gitties and then completely overshot it. I've noticed that for a lot of Brits who try for American accents seem to go for gruff undertones which I find a little off-putting. The biggest surprise Brit I've ever heard was the guy who plays Apollo on BSG. I was blown away by the fact that he was British.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #714
Wendi
sup B)

lol hay sir.  

Peter Pan! <3

I havent seen that movie in forever. It's so cute! I love it all. I love classic Disney movies! This is one of the best ever. :]
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #715
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Well, I just got back from seeing Spider-Man 3. Finally.

It's getting pretty late right now, so I'll post my thoughts in the relevent thread tomorrow. All I'll say for the time being is that I enjoyed it.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #716
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

One of the greatest remakes and horror movies I have seen in a long time. Excellent movie, incredible opening sequence and a movie that REALLY captured the "end of the world" madness effectively.

Special thanks goes to Zack Snyder, director of this movie and the equally bad ass The 300.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #717
montitech
Foster's Legend

George of the Jungle,

A fun movie, with kind of a Rocky and Bullwinkle motiffe with the narator, oun/gags, and slapstick. I liked it!

"Blue Crush" was on USA last night, It was an OK surf movie, I did not relize that it was such a new movie. It had some great views of the ocean/surf. we never see anything like that here on the east coast.

Monty

Last edited by montitech; 06-02-2007 at 04:57 PM.
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #718
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Science of Sleep

Oddball French movie (though the language switches to English and Spanish quite regularly throughout), about a man who experiences some really vivid and impassioned dreams whenever he sleeps, but has a much harder time engaging with reality. Not really much plot to speak of, but a nice selection of gorgeously surreal animated sequences therein.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 06-04-2007 at 01:35 PM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #719
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

"This is Spinal Tap"

how much blacker could this album be? The answer is...none.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #720
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
"This is Spinal Tap"

how much blacker could this album be? The answer is...none.

good flick, make sure to turn it up to 11.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote