Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fan Creations > Fan-Fic Forum

Notices

Fan-Fic Forum Post and discuss Foster's-related stories here.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 AM   #61
Dude13
Settling In
Cruising through life without a single clue...  

Ack, unfortunately, it's true both there and the show - not that I have nothign against Mac of course, I love the litle guy to death - but unfortunately, he just has a bit of a disproportionatly-sized skull to deal with.

Ugh, methinks once more we may be rambling a bit off-topic once again, unless anyone has something new they'd like to add to this "intellectual discussion" of ours.
Dude13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #62
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

I made a thread for us to discuss this...

Here's the link:
http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/sh...=9039#post9039

Somehow I doubt it'll get many replies though, because things jut work that way.

-Marty
Old 10-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #63
Dude13
Settling In

Woohoo! Glad that we have all fixed!

Though now methinks this thread is going to be abandoned entirely, as that discussion formed the foundation of all talk that went on here.

Um.....anyone has any comments for me on anything I've written ever or for lucyrocks on our joint story "Wishing Only Wounds the Heart", feel more than free to speak up, we'll always be ready to listen to hear what you have to say!

But if you're here to only discuss disproportionality in the character's heads and bodies - then as of now, unfortunately you're in the wrong thread.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #64
Voxxyn
Banned

I've been wanting to ask this for a while: do you not like Eduardo and Coco as much as the other characters, or something? Because they almost NEVER appear in your stories.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #65
Dude13
Settling In

Ha, finally, something to make this thread actually be on topic for once....

Wow, and that's actually a really, really good question. To begin with, it's not that I have anything against them, not at all. Now that I think about it, maybe it is because simply put, I prefer the standard set of characters I use most of the time in my stories.

Then again, I'll be honest when I see this is the first time I've actually had to stop and think about it - yikes, and I've been writing Foster's fanfics for over a year too, ack, shame on me.

Maybe it's because in all the story ideas I've come with, their prescense was just never necessary for anything, thus their complete lack of appearances. Also, I'll be honest, personally I find that it's nearly impossible to write Coco into anything because zany and lovable as she is, a lot of my stories can tend to be very dialogue-driven, and unfortuantely, her vocabulary is extremely limited. That of course brings up the whole subject of how to let readers know what she's saying, whether that's clues given by the other characters, flat out translations (not really a fan of that method), etc. It gets difficult with her.

Unfortunately, I have no such excuse with poor Ed. He has an accent, yes, but that's hardly a problem. Ack, that's more or less an enigma why he's barely made any appearances.

So at the moment, I think mainly it's because yes, I probably do prefer the others above those two (sadly enough) and thus every story idea I come up with is designed specifically to involve all the others.

Now I feel kind of bad for excluding them, ugh....

Honestly though, that was a really good point you brought up there. If there's anythign else you want to ask (or if I did a lousy job of answering this question) feel more than free to ask.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #66
lucyrocks73

I think you covered it well, Dude13...

Edaurdo is actually one of my favorite characters. I've never really found a good plot line in my head that has to do with him, so that's my excuse. The accent is very fun to write...

The thing is, comedy really isn't my specialty- I couldn't write it to save my life. I stink at it. The ocasional comedy I use is intertwined with drama. And what does this have to do with Eduardo and Coco, you may ask??

Well, like many people cannot see some characters in an dramatic light, I can't really see them as anything other than comic relief. I'm not saying that they aren't important characters, because they are. I'm just saying that I see them more in a comedic act, like some people don't want to see Goo or some other characters in an angsty light.

And there are a lot of lights that are and aren't on in that last paragraph.

So that would be why I, personally, have not written them very much. Although, in the next story I'm writing, Coco is included for some of it.

That was a really crappy explaination. But it's there.

-Marty
P.S.- I hope it was okay, Dude13, that I posted that in your thread...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #67
Dude13
Settling In

Haha - Marty, you were the one who started the thread to discuss our story, "Wishing Only Wounds the Heart."

Honestly, you of all people deserve to post as much as you want in here.

Yeah, but I agree with you one hundred percent, it gets a bit difficult to use them fot drama or anything of that sort - then again most of my works are comedic, so that I think now I just flat-out don't have an excuse for not including them. For my more serious ones yes, but for the others....eh, my bad...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #68
lucyrocks73

I love Ed- he's so much fun to write (and yes, I've written pieces that will never be seen, posted, or e-mailed to anyone, because they embarass me).

I can't write comedy. I physically can't. I LOVE reading it. My brain just isn't quick with humor like that. If I come up with something, someone has probably heard it a million ways in different context somewhere.

Sarcasm, though- I can do sarcasm.

Dude13, you are really talented, because you can write exceptionally in BOTH drama AND comedy.

(*claps*)

-Marty
Old 10-06-2006, 03:44 AM   #69
Dude13
Settling In

You can actually write Ed into stories? My hat is off to you, because after a year of barely using him, I honestly doubt my ability to actually do a decent job of writing the poor guy into anything, much as I love him.

And Coco....poor Coco, I can't do a thing with her.....

Thank you so much for your extrarodinarily generous comliment, but my comedy pieces aren't exactly ingenius bits of humor. Heck, I'll be the first one to admit that they can go extremely over the top and cross the line like it's their job, whcih is odd seeing as how basic the plotlines can be, including -

- Four characters jammed inside a laundry chute
-Fear of turkeys
-A bad flu bug being mistaken for demon possession
-Someone's cursing far too much
-Cross-dressing

My standards aren't exactly high for the humor ideas - some people might see a turkey and think "bird", I look at it and see "instant story idea."
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #70
lucyrocks73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude13 View Post
My standards aren't exactly high for the humor ideas - some people might see a turkey and think "bird", I look at it and see "instant story idea."
Oh, don't you see?? That is why they are so ingenious. You take the smallest thing and make it funny. Your stories are things that are so believable, yet so not because of the setting.

Craig McCracken once used an example somewhere of this same type thing (an interview I once read somewhere...). He imagined a group of brightly-colored imaginary friends on a background of a Victorian mansion. Tat clash- the odd and unordinary with the ordinary and simple (yet ornate, when are talking about the mansion)- is exactly what your humor stories have- something simple that everyone sees and walks right by on a regular basis, but can have humor to it that only people like you can see.

You see, the true nature of a writer is to look at something and say to themselves, "What if..."

You do that with things people might not think of- while using already estabilshed characters, which is quite a feat (you know how hard it is to keep them in character).

Not many people can come up with a plot around turkey, or a laundry chute, or any of the things you listed. I sure couldn't.

You ARE a genius, whether you realize it or not...

-Marty

Last edited by lucyrocks73; 10-06-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I can't spell. And why the heck are you being nosy about it???
lucyrocks73 is offline   Reply With Quote