Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #671
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

You go....guy!

Seriously, you're not the only person who shares these views. You SHOULDN'T have to dress up and go to some bar to find a girlfriend, you shouldn't have to give in to the dominant culture. You have totally the right idea, don't lose sight of that.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #672
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
I've got something that ticks me off but before I say it, I got to explain a few things first. There's a girl that goes to my college who is my friend, I've known her for a while now and anyway we got into this discussion and I mentioned I was lonely and looking for a GF and she told me as a friend what was wrong with me.

Like why I haven't gotten a girlfriend yet, and she said its my clothes, the fact I wear cartoon shirts and that I don't go to bars. She says I need to "live a little" by drinking at bars. And frankly this down right pissed me off. She believes that no one is going to approach me (girls anyway) because I wear shirts like Ghostbusters and Transformers.

I'm sorry but I personally cannot fathom why I have to hide what I like just to impress a girl and not just any girl, a BAR girl. People who drown themselves in alcohol to have fun sounds like a bad idea in the making. I don't see why I have to guzzle booze and dress like someone I am not just to fit into some girl's social acceptance handbook.

Am I insane for thinking it's NOT okay to go off having sex with someone just for the sake of it, and not actually wanting some important moral values with it? Am I insane for being proud to wear shirts that advocate what I like and enjoy to do in my spare time? What the hell kind of view of society is that?

If some girl will not approach me because I wear a Ghostbusters shirt then what's the point in even meeting that person if they have to judge me like that? Furthermore, say I don't wear the shirt, I meet a girl and then I start wearing Ghostbusters. Is that considered okay? I don't see how it should matter.

If a person can't accept what I like simply by looking at me then why should I spend my time and money going to bars and sucking down beer bottles just to meet someone? I know first hand how painful the feeling of loneliness can be but the more I thought about this today, the more I realized that it is just not worth it.

It is not worth meeting someone who has to change what you wear and what you like to accept you in public, I'd rather be alone and proud of who I chose to be then be who society chooses me to be. I don't believe America is set this way, I believe if a single person of good nature can exist then so can another.

I'm not someone who's going to stroll around wearing bland shirts that state my school's name and be ordinary. I like the fact I wear shirts of things I like, I am happy and proud to wear them because I am happy of who I am. I spent my whole childhood not wearing what i liked out of fear of being mocked by kids.

I'm not gonna do that again. As rare as they are, there are people who accept others for who they are and don't think you are "unapproachable" because of what you choose to wear. That person today is still my friend but now I look at her differently sorry to say, like one of those "you think you know someone" things.

I have values about sex and drinking and I just can't bring myself to sinking into a lifestyle that revolves around the two just so I can find a girl. I refuse to believe that is the only means of social and romantic acceptance in this nation. Maybe that's why I find toon girls to be attractive to consider them to be better "people" at times.

It may seem weird and even pathetic but I feel better about my own identity having those drawn feelings to toons then to degrade myself into a life of caring only about sex and having to drink something that never appealed or interested me. I don't believe the world is that shallow or that devoid of any kind of depth.

People CAN be devoid of depth and be that shallow but not all of humanity, and its my faith in humanity that gives me faith in myself and I feel so much better having that faith about myself then wanting to be someone I am not.
Yeah, personally, I don't see what's so great about drinking 'til you drop, either. That's not my thing. There are better ways to "live a little" than to go to a bar and get drunk. As for sex, eh, not until I get married (that's my belief, anyway). I think it's great that you've chose to be yourself, instead of doing what some say "is popular". One should do what he/she believes is right, not what is popular.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #673
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

I do not hang out at bars. My GF and I hate people anyway (something we both have in common). We are both type -Z personalities that cannot stand type A personalities. Before I got sober, I was the guy you did not want to talk to in a bar ("see that guy down thar? Do not interact with him."). I f a type A personality tried to talk to me - I'd rather kill 'em than look at 'em! (just a little followup on the above conversation).

Okay! What ticks me off is type A personalities (but I can tolerate them NOW)!
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #674
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Mr M:

IMO most people tap into a central, widely accepted "image" because they are weak. They don't have the intelligence /or cahones to do their own thing. As for casual sex, who knows? It used to be a huge no-no but now its widely accepted. Personally i never have any luck with women anyway so the guys who keep putting notches on their belt...power to 'em, i'm just not one of them. I'm a bit romantic but usually pretty dark and gloomy.

What really gnaws at me is that i am VERY popular. literally everybody loves me...yet i feel alone and sad all the time. Why? What is up with that? Sure i'm a little different, i listen to The Doors and go shooting all the time (not a hugely popular pastime in New York) but why should i be so alone? I don't understand it. Its my fault i'm guessing, but its hard to really throw yourself out there when you have literally NOTHING in common with any of the pretty single girls.

As for alcohol...maybe it dulls the pain from all the Ritalin, Prozac, and years of cultural, religious, and government indoctrination?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #675
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I'm trying to come up with something supportive and useful here, and have been for the past two hours, but all I can think about is the terrible lonliness that has defined my life for far longer than I want to think about. People judge based on appearances; that's certainly been the case in my life, and it hurts. It hurts a lot. It's not something I can help. I've got a few friends, and people who take the time to get to know me tell me I'm one of the nicest guys they know, but it's not enough. Not a day goes by without me wishing I could find someone who wants something more. It's not going to happen; I've known that for some time. I tell myself that it's their loss; I don't cheat, I'm attentive and supportive, I don't mind doing my own housework, all that and more. I don't really blame anyone for this, for we all do it, to one degree or another. Humans are visually-oriented beings; that's just basic biology and evolution. But I've got to tell you, knowing all that is no comfort during those times when all I want is someone to hold.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #676
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
But I've got to tell you, knowing all that is no comfort during those times when all I want is someone to hold.
Cass I will be the first and probably only one who can honestly say I have been going through everything you just said word for word over these past few days. Being lonely is the most excruciatingly painful feeling in the world, beyond any physical or mental anguish, I can't think of a more hurtful and crippling feeling.

I'm a positive person and even when I can find the silver lining to every solution, I find myself wary and tempted to just give in and give up. To surrender to the truth that no one will love me. But no matter how deep that pit gets, I refuse to fall into it because I know I am not "fooling myself" I am telling the truth.

Nothing in this life comes easy and love is the most difficult thing to obtain in existence, and that is exactly why it is worth striving for every day. There will be rough spots, there will be speed bumps to overcome and yes, there will be pain and hurt. But I refuse to give up on the fact that there is someone out there for me.

And I refuse to give up on the fact that there is someone out there for YOU Cass. Your a strong, dedicated, compassionate and supportive person who does mountains worth of inspirational tributes to the things that matter most to you. Most people today don't have a fraction of the purity you have in your heart.

You cannot let the miserable, ungrateful, and undeserving masses of people who discard kind and loving hearts like playthings win or let yourself drown away into misery when the chips are down. You are INFINITELY better then that and so am I and I know there is someone out there who is worth loving.

I would rather die alone and be happy with who I am then to strive for some plastic image of societal imagery and marry someone who I don't honestly love. I know it will be hard and I will be tested but I will NOT give up because love exists everywhere for each and everyone of us and its only a matter of time.

You may or may not believe that but even so, you know damn well that the compassion and love you house is stronger then any piece of emotional degradation the world can throw at you. I love who I am and I love what I love and I know a heart exists for mine out there and nothing said or done to me can change that.

Loving a false love isn't loving at all, you'd be fooling yourself more so if you married someone you didn't care for rather then fooling yourself into thinking you won't find someone. I don't believe love is a fairy tale or a work of fiction, I know it is real because I have seen it, I have felt, and I'll be damned to Hell if I let some snob from a sexed and drunken up sin city tell me otherwise.

And if that's not enough, I say read/listen to this song and believe in it just as much as you should be believing in yourself:

Don’t give up
It’s just the weight of the world
When you’re heart’s heavy I - I will lift it for you
Don’t give up
Because you want to be heard
If silence keeps you I – I will break it for you

Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don’t give up
Because you are loved

Don’t give up
It’s just the hurt that you hide
When you’re lost inside I – I’ll be there to find you
Don’t give up
Because you want to burn bright
If darkness blinds you I – I will shine to guide you]

Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don’t give up
Because you are loved

(You are loved)
You are loved
(You are loved)
Don’t give up
(Don’t give up)
It’s just the weight of the world
(You are loved)
Don’t give up
(Don’t give up)
Everyone needs to be heard
(Don’t give up)
You are loved
(You are loved)

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 10-17-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #677
vinny
The real mac.

NO U  

Send a message via MSN to vinny

one thing that make me mad is when someone come up to me and a thinks im 13 or 14 and says something like shouldnt you be in school or act all suprised when i say im 18.

i was watching steve wilkos show last night and it was about how this guy wanted nothing to do with his wife just cus he got her pregnant and she had the baby. guys that abuse women is another thing, i just dont see how people can live with themselfs-things like that more than make me mad.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #678
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Btw, sorry if i over did it there and came off too strong or sappy.

Sometimes I don't know when to shut up.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #679
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

No problem; it's appreciated.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #680
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
No problem; it's appreciated.