Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #661
FailedShapeshifter
Settling In
Computers hate me ^_^  

It was pretty darn awesome.....I might watch it again....when I'm not sleep deprived On the Pokemon subject, Cartoon Network is showing yet another Pokemon movie. Despite the fact that I really dislike May(I have to watch all of the new episodes with my younger siblings) this movie may actually have promise

.....Look at me getting off topic.....*hides*
FailedShapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #662
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Space Jam

This movie is such a childhood favorite of mine, and very well made for a kid designed film. Excellent soundtrack, actual new characters, and a story that works amazingly well for the movie considering it's about a basketball game.

Granted it's no "Rodger Rabbit", but I love any good human/toon crossover movie.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #663
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
Space Jam

This movie is such a childhood favorite of mine, and very well made for a kid designed film. Excellent soundtrack, actual new characters, and a story that works amazingly well for the movie considering it's about a basketball game.

Granted it's no "Rodger Rabbit", but I love any good human/toon crossover movie.

I would agree Space Jam was a good movie.
it did a good job of preserving the Loony Tune characters personallties.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #664
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Over the Hedge

I'm on a animation roll as of lately, and this is seriously one of my all time favorite animated movies. I totally loved this film. Saw it twice in theaters and even bought an sweet rare movie poster of it with some of the actors signatures.

It's a great, great, GREAT freaking movie .
Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #665
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Just want to get in on the Space Jam cheerleading before the moment totally passes...like Mr M. says, it was no Roger Rabbit, but it doesn't deserve the bad rap it's had in recent years. OK, in retrospect I'll admit that the basketball crossover plotline was probably a story decision made more to boost audience appeal than because it was a logical setting to place the Looney Tunes into, but I was a British kid who didn't even know the rules of basketball or, Michael Jordan aside, have a clue who any of the sports stars were, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Good effects, predictable but effective plot, good turns by the ever reliable Wayne Knight and Bill Murray...heck, Michael Jordan was was decent enough, from what I remember! OK, Lola Bunny was a working definition of "pointless token female character", but otherwise I loved this movie as a kid...don't believe the haters!

Pokemon: The First Movie though...I was a Pokemon obsessive back then, but I recall being really disappointed with that. The film started out moody, atmospheric and almost dark, but it faltered badly with its finale, which failed to deliver the expected all-action climax and instead opted to so for an emotional ending that just came off as mawkish and cloying. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that the unsubtle and OTT performances of the 4Kids dub actors, but the show was always at its weakest when it tried to be moving or emotional, and that flaw was magnified ten-fold in the movie's overwrought ending. That, and the fact that the Mewtwo vs. Mew battle that they'd hyped up on all the posters ended up being a total non-event, in which the two of them bounce pointlessly off each other in big coloured balls for about 90 seconds....I didn't buy it. I continued wactching the show for a while, but didn't see any more of the movies after that...

EDIT: Oh, and I just watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory again; I do think it's a good film, but I can never help feeling somewhat conflicted about it. On the one hand, it's a Tim Burton movie, and as such is hugely imaginative, visually striking, incredibly idiosyncratic and imbued with a sense of dark humour; on the other hand, it's a Tim Burton movie, and is in no way the faithful adaptation of the classic book that it was kind of sold as. The opening twenty minutes or so come close, recreating the book's key scenes in an offbeat but reverential fashion, but as soon as Willy Wonka himself turns up, Roald Dahl's story takes a complete backseat to the altogether different sensibilities of Messrs Burton and Depp. Dahl's story was mischievous and underpinned by a hinted darkness, but was mostly defined by warmth and wonder; Burton's version, mostly thanks to Depp's reinterpretation of Wonka from a twinkly-eyed yet sly prankster to a detached and emotionally stunted manchild, is bizarre, sinister and a little oppressive. The most prominent new plotline (that of Wonka's father), meanwhile, is sweet enough, but it feels a little out of place both in Dahl's world (the moral of this story was never about the value of famiy) and in Burton's (it's a sentimental strand in an otherwise strangely cold movie). Overall, a curious film, one with many merits, and yet one that I admire more than really like....

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 05-10-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Melvyn Bragg.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #666
montitech
Foster's Legend

I think Burton and more particularly Depp Saw the old Wonka Movie, I would bet, Depp was more influinced by Gene Wilder in this role than reading the book, If he even read the book that is. Personally I skimmed the book about 15 years ago, and I saw Burtons movie about a year ago. I saw the older movie well over a dozen times and I can easily see influences of that movie in this.

On a different note, Was anyone else disapointed with remake of the Producers. particulary when comparing the two version next to one another. I think the new version spent to much time tring to recreate the old version and did not spend any time trying to develop there own take of the story/play.

Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchy McAbandonpants View Post
EDIT: Oh, and I just watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory again; I do think it's a good film, but I can never help feeling somewhat conflicted about it. On the one hand, it's a Tim Burton movie, and as such is hugely imaginative, visually striking, incredibly idiosyncratic and imbued with a sense of dark humour; on the other hand, it's a Tim Burton movie, and is in no way the faithful adaptation of the classic book that it was kind of sold as. The opening twenty minutes or so come close, recreating the book's key scenes in an offbeat but reverential fashion, but as soon as Willy Wonka himself turns up, Roald Dahl's story takes a complete backseat to the altogether different sensibilities of Messrs Burton and Depp. Dahl's story was mischievous and underpinned by a hinted darkness, but was mostly defined by warmth and wonder; Burton's version, mostly thanks to Depp's reinterpretation of Wonka from a twinkly-eyed yet sly prankster to a detached and emotionally stunted manchild, is bizarre, sinister and a little oppressive. The most prominent new plotline (that of Wonka's father), meanwhile, is sweet enough, but it feels a little out of place both in Dahl's world (the moral of this story was never about the value of famiy) and in Burton's (it's a sentimental strand in an otherwise strangely cold movie). Overall, a curious film, one with many merits, and yet one that I admire more than really like....
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #667
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

Actually it was directed by the same person who directed the musical. It wasn't trying to hard to recreate the original movie, it was trying to hard to recreate the musical. But it actually differed enough from the two of them to actually stand on its own. The problem is it's inferior to both.

You gotta give them a hand though, had it not been for Mel it would've been filmed in Toronto. Ugh! The reason behind that was, well Mel thought Toronto bagels were too mushy. Go, Mel!!

Speaking of Mel Brooks movies becoming musicals, look for Young Frankenstein by the end of this year. Also directed by the same woman who did The Producers.
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #668
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Gotta throw my hat into the movie talk when it comes to "Space jam", and the only reason I'm saying it here is because there isn't a need for a thread for it because it'll be dead in less then a week. The movie's plot is actually what makes the movie so amazing, that it was bulilt on such a slim concept.

The idea of a basketball game to secure the toons freedom was just as cartoony as they were, but it worked so VERY well. The movie made the plot actually seem like something serious and to do that with such a strange concept, I find it admirable. Plus, i really, really, liked Lola Bunny.

I felt she was a much needed female character, not for Bugs sake, but for the Looney Tunes in general such they have FEW female characters, and none of them are very famous. Yeah more could have been done with her, but she wasn't obnoxious, overly "girl power" and she was pretty hot to boot.

The other thing I loved about this movie were the villains. The Nerdlucks/Monstars were original and creative characters, I thought they were brilliant ideas for bad guys and I LOVED how each Monstar actually looked like each Basketball star they talent swapped.

Bill Murray was brillaint in here, just playing himself, it was such a gas.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #669
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Meet the Robinsons. Second time I've seen it, and I still love that movie. I don't think it comes close to capturing the exact magic of the animated Disney flicks from the 80s-early 90s, but it's the closest attempt they've done in years. I really think it's wonderful.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #670
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Blood Diamond

Not bad at all. Certainly entertaining. Quite a bit of brutality, but nothing I shouldn't have been expecting, given the setting.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote