Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #41
Subzeroace
Has a PhD in Horribleness

Burning things is fun and useful!  

Send a message via AIM to Subzeroace

Squee! I love Betta's to death! I have two, a dark red one named Finneus and a light light grey one with hints of blue on his fins named Maxwell. One of my kittys (Akima) likes to drink out of Finny's bowl, I should get him some more it's only half full right now x___x My kitty is too lazy to go into the other room to drink, the Beta's are close to her fave spot to sleep ya see.

I've tried to take pictures of them before but they never turn out.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #42
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Yeah, I went through a bunch of pictures, messing with the settings on my camera on each of them, until there was two or three pics that were clear enough. Flash wouldn't work because it glared off the bowl. And I couldn't have lights on in front of the bowl either, because they also glared a little bit (in one pic he was right behind the glare spot, it irritated me because other than that it looked like it turned out great ). So I upped my exposure so I wouldn't need to use the flash, but with that I needed a tripod so the camera wouldn't move, but of course I couldn't stop the fish from moving. After uploading them I realized there was one more setting I should have tried, which was the "close" setting so I could take a picture of something a mere inches from the lens, so the items closer would be clearer than the items in the distance. Oh well, these turned out good enough for now. I may try to take more later. Perhaps I'll even move him out onto my patio so there'll be natural light and won't have to worry about exposure.

My cat Joey sometimes drinks out of the bowl, or at least, he did out of the bowl when I had my old fish. I don't like him doing that though due to the water conditioner the fish needs for his water. Thankfully though, Joey's never tried bothering any fish I've ever owned. He'll enjoy sitting there watching it, but he won't disturb it. My furry neice, and Joey's cousin, Arwen, however, found it irresistible to bat at the fishy, and last April while house sitting for my parents, she scooped him right out of the bowl during the night, and I ended up finding him dried out on the floor the next morning. It was tragic. Naughty Arwen! Eh, I can't help but love her though.

Last edited by Lynnie; 03-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #43
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Aww, Lynnie, your story about Joey watching your fish reminds me of my kitty. She'll jump on my dresser where my betta, Mr. Todd, is and watch him very intently. If he starts going crazy (I have him in front of a mirror to keep him occupied ), she'll get so excited; it's adorable!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #44
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Congratulations on the new fishy, Lynnie - here's to hoping that this one enjoys a longer lifespan than the last.

I've never actually kept fish myself, so I've no idea how my own kitty cats would react to them. The closest I've come was owning one of those battery-operated "living aquariums", in which the little plastic fishies within are kept in constant motion due to vibrations in the water. It doubtlessly pales next to the genuine article, but at the time I thought that it was quite a neat little device. It held Cleo's attention on one occasion, but she never really looked its way much after that.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 03-07-2009 at 02:21 PM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #45
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

He must have been in a romantic mood last night. I woke up this morning to see he had blown a bubble nest. When they do that though, it leaves a slimy coat over the surface of the water. I've had him only a few days, but I feel the need to change his water already.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #46
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

When I kept a betta ("Blue Meanie", he flared at *everything*, lol) I used a feeding ring so I could still feed him even if he made bubbles everywhere else. The ring floating on the surface of the water made sure that within that circle the water tension was normal despite stuff like betta bubbles or adding medicine to the water etc.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #47
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Not a bad idea. And we do carry them at my store, I should look into that.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #48
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Plus it keeps the food from getting all gummed up in the plants and stuff. It's also fun to watch the fish turn and stare expectantly at the ring every minute or so. Mine used to flare at it when it was empty.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #49
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Presenting, a time lapse of the tree just outside the front door of my side job.

Three weeks ago

Two weeks ago

One week ago

And today. I think the leaves on the ground were all blown away the last few days. It was pretty windy.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #50
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Fascinating to see a tree go through it's annual metamorphosis more rapidly than it does in real time. Good job!

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote