Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Imaginary Friends

Notices

Imaginary Friends Discuss the main imaginary characters: Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Mr. Herriman, Duchess, and Cheese.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #421
InsaneFan
Foster's Legend
It's time for Animaniacs!  

Send a message via AIM to InsaneFan

Yeah, I wouldn't think it'd be TOO sad. Not for Foster's.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #422
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
I haven't seen much evidence that nice people are pitied at all. Nowadays, many folks tend to hold them in contempt, finding them strange or abnormal in some way. Wilt is not "too nice"; that's like saying someone is "too pretty" or "too handsome" or "too intelligent". Wilt just stands out because he acts the way MOST people used to decades ago, with regards to having compassion for others, and nowadays it seems strange, when most people are all about themselves. An individual who is willing to reach out for others and even sacrifice their own safety and comfort for someone else seems really odd in our day and time, but 60 years ago, Wilt's attitude would have been the norm.
Welcome to my world.

Quote:
I pity Wilt NOT because he's nice, or because of his physical impairments(which really do not seem to impair him at all), but because there is obviously some emotional turmoil going on with him, and those who are supposed to be responsible for his well-being don't recognize it, so he goes on suffering through this day after day. He does a good job of hiding it, but his ability to do so seems to be wearing down with each episode.
If he is in fact deliberately hiding something, why should we expect his caretakers to recognize it? To the best of my knowledge, neither Frankie, Madam Foster, or Mr. Herriman is a trained psychologist.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #423
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Welcome to my world.

If he is in fact deliberately hiding something, why should we expect his caretakers to recognize it? To the best of my knowledge, neither Frankie, Madam Foster, or Mr. Herriman is a trained psychologist.
Frankie DID say that she was a "trained caregiver" in "The Big Cheese", and more than hinted that she has considerable knowledge of psychology. In order to receive any sort of certificication to care for either children, elderly people, the sick, or presumably, displaced Imaginary Friends, some expertise in psychology would be necessary. You cannot even obtain teaching credentials in most states without it. As part of her job, we know that she has to deal with intelligent, emotional beings who've been displaced from their homes, and are dealing with feelings of rejection and being unwanted, and some of those being quite possibly have also experienced mental, emotional, or physical abuse prior to arriving at Foster's. It would be disastrous to simply have them all stay there, with no one in charge who was prepared to handle such situations. We know that Frankie has a degree, and even though we don't know in WHAT, it's not terribly unreasonable to assume that it would be in some area that would benefit her now in her current occupation. Psychology certainly would be quite useful.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #424
Voxxyn
Banned

I think Frankie might have a degree in child psychology, since it's children who imagine and create the IFs in the first place.

And yes, I agree that it's just ridiculous to accuse people of being "too much" of a positive quality. But it's(unfortunately) to be expected from a current-day society that has become more about the quick thrill than the long term.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #425
DoubleLatte
At Home

Quote:
In order to receive any sort of certificication to care for either children, elderly people, the sick, or presumably, displaced Imaginary Friends, some expertise in psychology would be necessary. You cannot even obtain teaching credentials in most states without it. As part of her job, we know that she has to deal with intelligent, emotional beings who've been displaced from their homes, and are dealing with feelings of rejection and being unwanted, and some of those being quite possibly have also experienced mental, emotional, or physical abuse prior to arriving at Foster's. It would be disastrous to simply have them all stay there, with no one in charge who was prepared to handle such situations. We know that Frankie has a degree, and even though we don't know in WHAT, it's not terribly unreasonable to assume that it would be in some area that would benefit her now in her current occupation. Psychology certainly would be quite useful.

pitbulllady
Keyword, some. Frankie's in her 20's, so unless she sped up and finished graduate school before she was 22, I doubt she currently has more than a bachelor's and enough knowledge in the area of psychology to be able to help deeply troubled IFs.
In oder to be fully qualified to handle extreme cases like abuse and trauma, if there have ever been any, she'd need at least a Master's in the area of psychology (IF psychology?) to actually be competent. I'm not 100% sure exactly how many psychology courses are required for a teaching degree (assuming she has one), but I know that they are typically intro courses such as PSY 101, SOC 101, and human development, which do not cover enough beyond child psychology and family communication. As far as I know, a teaching degree doesn't require courses that delve into clinical psychology, which she'll need if IFs actually depend on her alone to function as some sort of therapist. If there have been extreme cases where simply lending an ear to won't work, she could always refer them to a well trained professional who focuses in this area. I'd imagine that in their world, they have to have individuals out there that specialize in the psychology and treatment of imaginary friends. Frankie is still young; She doesn't seem have the experience or education that would qualify her to deal with anything else that goes beyond advise-giving and caretaking.
DoubleLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #426
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleLatte View Post
Keyword, some. Frankie's in her 20's, so unless she sped up and finished graduate school before she was 22, I doubt she currently has more than a bachelor's and enough knowledge in the area of psychology to be able to help deeply troubled IFs.
In oder to be fully qualified to handle extreme cases like abuse and trauma, if there have ever been any, she'd need at least a Master's in the area of psychology (IF psychology?) to actually be competent. I'm not 100% sure exactly how many psychology courses are required for a teaching degree (assuming she has one), but I know that they are typically intro courses such as PSY 101, SOC 101, and human development, which do not cover enough beyond child psychology and family communication. As far as I know, a teaching degree doesn't require courses that delve into clinical psychology, which she'll need if IFs actually depend on her alone to function as some sort of therapist. If there have been extreme cases where simply lending an ear to won't work, she could always refer them to a well trained professional who focuses in this area. I'd imagine that in their world, they have to have individuals out there that specialize in the psychology and treatment of imaginary friends. Frankie is still young; She doesn't seem have the experience or education that would qualify her to deal with anything else that goes beyond advise-giving and caretaking.
I've had to take several graduate courses in Psychology to meet requirements for my teaching certificicate, and ALL teachers in our state must meet those same requirements, regardless of which degree level you have. Many, many children in the public school systems now have profound mental and emotional problems, and as an Art teacher, I have to deal with all of them, no matter how severe they are, and believe me, they can be severe. I don't think that Frankie has a degree in education, though, so her degree, even though it's just a Bachelor's, would still give her more credits in psychology courses than most educators would get. Prior to deciding to pursue a Doctorate in the physical and medical aspects of human behavior, my cousin earned a Bachelor, and later a Masters, in Clinical Pyschology, and she had to take very extensive coursework on this during her first four years. She did receive exemption from many routine undergraduate classes, like the math and general science, through AP testing in high school, but Frankie is smart enough to have accomplished the same thing.

pitbulllady
Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #427
Vampyre
Smart Aleck
Woah! Look at that ZIT!... PSYCHE!  

Woo my head hurts. So uhh... has anyone noticed any simlarities between themselves and the tall red dude we all know and love? I have a fair amount:

1: I'm a push over
2: I'm tall
3: I keep things bottled up
4: My feet are huge
5: I smile alot (which I never used to... It's quite weird really)
6: I can sing
7: I can act and finally...
... 8:I have that same, long legged, arm swinging, head bobbing, feet flopping walk as him! And I have since I was nine which was WAY before Foster's aired in England!

So what about you guys?

Last edited by Vampyre; 11-03-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #428
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
Woo my head hurts. So uhh... has anyone noticed any simlarities between themselves and the tall red dude we all know and love? I have a fair amount:

1: I'm a push over
2: I'm tall
3: I keep things bottled up
4: My feet are huge
5: I smile alot (which I never used to... It's quite weird really)
6: I can sing
7: I can act and finally...
... 8:I have that same, long legged, arm swinging, head bobbing, feet flopping walk as him! And I have since I was nine which was WAY before Foster's aired in England!

So what about you guys?
Oddly enough, I have very, very few things in common with Wilt, as much as I love him. I'm short(5'2"), I am NOT good with apologies, I like helping people, but I would not describe myself as "selfless". I absolutely REEK at sports. I'm not physically strong, fit or flexible; I often catch myself going "Owww..." while getting in and out of my car! I tend to maintain a neutral expression; in my line of work, too much smiling makes them think you're a pushover, and I'm definately NOT. Unlike Wilt, I really don't care too much about what others think of me. I gave up on trying to make the popularity list a long, long time ago. I cannot carry a tune in a bucket with reinforced handles! I have no qualms about speaking or lecturing in front of large groups-do it every day, and those groups don't want to hear me, or even want to be there. I've never even tried acting, but was awful enough at the old-style RPG's(the ones where you actually had to be in the same ROOM as the other players, pre-internet, pre-home computer)that I can be fairly assured I'm not Oscar material. I look totally stupid in any sort of formal wear.

The only things I really have in common with Wilt is that I'm not afraid of many things, especially not of spiders. I have compassion for other creatures, especially ones that most other people do not like. I have to bottle up my emotions, too-not by choice, not because of some emotional disorder, but because of my job. If I blew up every time I felt like it, I'd probably be in prison by now for either beating the snot out of a supervisor or throttling someone's little angel! I'm very much aware of this, and how it affects me, though, so I am not in denial of it at all.

Wilt, almost total opposite of me, is still fairly easy to understand(as much as any gal can understand any guy, I guess, or vice versa). I grew up with a similar Type Two personality individual, my own grandfather, though he had a lot fewer issues to deal with than Wilt apparently does. For me, Wilt would be like Yin to Yang, an opposite that could create a whole.

pitbulllady
Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #429
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Pitbulllady, you're not alone, as I'm a shortie too...4'11. My feet are REALLY small...and I'm not Chinese. I'm a size 4...XD

I'm more Eduardo than Wilt. Easy to tears, often misunderstood, etc. But not scared of many things.

I'm a type 9 when I took that personallity test...the Peacemaker.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #430
CG
Foster's Legend

BACK FROM THE DEAD?!!?  

Send a message via AIM to CG Send a message via MSN to CG Send a message via Yahoo to CG

And the officials have it in : Wilt was found as a 'stray' and has no creator listed in his files. At least if you take Foster's Big Fat Awesome House Party as totally canon, which probably kinda is since they're tying in Good Wilt Hunting with their Thanksgiving Motiv this month.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote