Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #401
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
Just like a a Malone to bring a knife to a gunfight.
I'm afraid not. The winning quote was...

'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!' - Gone With The Wind (1939)
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #402
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Now that I've watched all the currently aired episodes of The Batman, I've started on Teen Titans, all as part of my ongoing "Do Absolutely Anything Other Than Work" initiative.

I've watched half of the first season now, and so far...I like. I can see why the DC Comics hardcore expecting another Justice League didn't go for it, but the blend of stylish action and childish but witty comedy are working for me so far, and whilst the forays into wacky anime visuals don't always work, they definitely establish a unique tone. The characters are really endearing too; Raven has a great deadpan delivery (thank you, Tara Strong! ) and whilst I feel they place her in a damsel-in-distress role too often (she's a superhero, isn't she?), Starfire is wholly adorable in her oblivious naivete.

"I suggest a pizza with pickles, bananas and mint frosting."
(*happy, satisfied grin*)

You just want to give her a big hug.

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 05-10-2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Bill Bailey.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #403
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

I loved that show. I agree Starfire was quite adorable indeed. I'm going to go so far as to say I enjoy the show a lot more than the Wolfman/Perez series it's based on.

For the past 12 hours I haven't watched a whole show. I've only seen snippets of something. I believe the last snippet was either Dr Keith Ablow, a shoo-in for world's ugliest tv doctor, and Extreme Machines. I dunno what Extreme Machines was about, but Dr Keith was talking with a man trying to come to grips with being the product of incest.

You know, I think I've put my finger on why I've only been watching snippets.
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #404
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
I'm afraid not. The winning quote was...

'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!' - Gone With The Wind (1939)
oh, thats a good one fo' sho'
Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #405
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

By the way, the actual quote is, "Leave it to a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight." Malone says it, so I can see how it gets confusing.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #406
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerostarMonk View Post
By the way, the actual quote is, "Leave it to a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight." Malone says it, so I can see how it gets confusing.
really? I haven't seen it in forever.

Sir Sean is the best actor ever (salutes)
Old 05-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #407
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Aye, Sir Sean is one of the greats. Who else can make you not care that they're a Scotsman playing and Irishman?

Voyages: Great Ships
This episode was about ships of the line. It highlighted Clerk's theory on the changing of naval tactics from broadside to broadside to breaking the line and crossing the stern of enemy lines. It also talked about Nelson's victory at Trafalgar. Great program.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #408
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The Office: Beach Games

For an episode that was NOT the season finale, this episode totally kicked ass. It was amazing! The games were hilarious and Dwight's fire squirm, Harry Potter references, and Pam's big speech at the end.

Fantastic, absolutely fantastic and funny as always.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #409
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Thumbs down 'Ello, duckies...

Well, I just finished watching the Teen Titans episode "Revolution", and I have to say: what in gawd's name just happened there?

Let me just clarify here. Earlier on, I said that I'd started watching Teen Titans, and that I liked it; well, scratch that, I positively love it now. I think it's a wonderfully animated, outstandingly acted show that combines action, drama and comedy perfectly to form a supremely entertaining blend, all grounded by five diverse and utterly lovable characters. As such, I appreciate that much of the show's charm comes from its ability to switch between dramatic superhero adventures (such as Season Two's Terra story arc, which had me gripped and frequently quite touched) and crazed comedy (such as the same season's "Fractured", in which a rotund Robin-like imp called Larry turns reality into a crayon drawing).

However, Season Three's "Revolution" (in which Malcolm McDowell's psychedelic Cockney villain Mad Mod creates an alternate reality that repeals the Declaration of Independence and turns the city into a Union Jack-tinted dystopia) had me at a loss for words, and not in a good way. Patriotism's all well and good, and as American animators, they're well within their rights to have a pro-US message, but when you have an entire episode centred around the relentless, flippant mockery of another country...I'm sorry, I just find it grating and kind of offensive. I'm not trying to be some uptight, overly sensitive killjoy Brit who can't take a joke; I know that both Mad Mod and the British hell he creates were just stereotypical caricatures, but this episode just didn't find anything new or clever to do with them, and instead went for cheap laughs by propogating the tired cliche of the Brits as buck-toothed, tea-drinking imperialists who talk funny. What really killed it for me, though, was the contrast between that blithe ridicule and the cloyingly earnest, smugly superior way the Titans take inspiration from their American heritage to defeat Mad Mod. Cyborg's "it may not look like it, but this is still America, so I say we vote" line had me almost screaming at the screen ("WE HAVE BLOODY VOTING IN ENGLAND AS WELL!" ), and as for Starfire's little spiel about the birth of democracy...well, it made me temporarily hate Starfire, a character whose sweetness and huggability rivals PPG's Bubbles. Hating Starfire is like wanting to go and shoot a puppy, and I object to any show that makes me want to go and shoot a puppy.

Like I said, I love Teen Titans, and I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far of the third season ("Haunted", which saw Robin plagued by visions of vanquished archenemy Slade, shocked and impressed me with its dark impact), but "Revolution" left a bad, bad taste in my mouth...

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 05-14-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Marvin Gaye.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #410
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I think the thing with "Revolution" was that just like Mad Mod's prior episode (self titled), it really wasn't trying to aim at any kind of ethnic or personal targets just because the character happens to dress, act, and more importantly THINK in British terminology. I believe that's more of a gimmick thing for him.

Cyborg even said "Yo, I bet even real British people don't like you". One thing Ditchy I think that needs to be realized is that no one in England or any other nation appointed Mad Mod as the representative of all things British, this is merely his own actions, own choices, and own form of representation.

It's just like if he was Chinese, or Japanese, or Russian and they did a whole spiel on nation themed gimmicks and imagery through him. Mad Mod thinks he's representing Britain whether anyone wants him to or not, and this is also evident in his whole "teaching" persona.

No one appointed him a teacher to anybody, he just imposes his own beliefs and own versions of culture on others. Also thing is like Control Freak, Mad Mod is an exaggeration of an image and not meant to insult others. I myself am a geek and don't take offense to Control Freak's actions or personality.

And believe me, there are people who find Control Freak insulting because of his whole unofficial representation of a Star Trek fan. But I understand not everyone will love every episode they see of Titans, I personally just watched the episode and saw it in the same regard I saw "Fracture" or "Episode 257-94"=total wackyness.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote