Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fan Creations > Fan-Art Forum

Notices

Fan-Art Forum Post and discuss Foster's-related artwork here.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #21
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I know I've been told this before, or mentioned it, and it may sound stupid of me but honestly, I have to know....

What is this "Mary-sue" "Gary-sue" name thing mean?

I'd really like to know.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
Nyo
Little Miss Awesome Sauce

*bang!*  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
I What is this "Mary-sue" "Gary-sue" name thing mean?
It's Gary-Stu. May-Sues/Gary-Stus are OCs that people make that do lots of things perfecty. Basically, people who make them usually end up pairing them with a character from the show (take a look at Wilt in Fomalhaut's pic to see what I mean).
Old 02-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #23
Fomalhaut
Who speaks like Goo and sings like Eurotrish

Sing with me, Eurotrish!  

Send a message via Skype™ to Fomalhaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBloo View Post
What is Mary-Sue encyclopedia?
I drew 11 fandoms (yes, added "Gravitation" recently), where I put some popular character falling in love with a perfect-looking beauty (i.e. Wilt in this pic), and showed "this is how Mary-Sue looks in this-and-that fandom".

"Up in the sky, there's a star for everyone"
Fomalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #24
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

It strikes a chord, it really does.

Fosters is the only show I really like in a way where I want to read fanfic of it, and Fosters fanfic can be very entertaining. But it seems that half of them are about a new OC freind who moves to Fosters and ends up putting the moves on Wilt. Now, I've nothing against OCs, if used well and work well with the existing characters and don't mess up the show's key dynamics too much. But these Mary-Sues do, and they really razz me. If you're gonna do a fanfic which is a blatant self-insert (and there's nothing wrong with that), at least try to remain true to the style of the show, or it'll just end up as a vehicle for your OC and then trolls will flame you. I'm just trying to spare you the trolls. The Trolls! Beware the flaming trolls!

Ugh, that was a bit of a vent. If I was out of line, please tell me, and I'm sorry . But that IS my opinion and it isn't aimed at anyone specific. If you feel your fanfic doesn't fit the description above, it wasn't meant for you. And a forum IS where people can voice their opinions, right?

Sorry, I'm done hijacking the thread now.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
Cutelilteen
Newly Abandoned

Sorry, sorry, sorry...  

Send a message via Yahoo to Cutelilteen

Oh man, I HATE Mary-Sues!! Overly perfect little b****s. I was once reading a Mary-Sue story and this person took up a whole chapter describing how beautiful this character was. *vomits*

Anywho, awesome picture! Made me laugh out loud. It's so true.

Last edited by Cutelilteen; 05-14-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Cutelilteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #26
Fomalhaut
Who speaks like Goo and sings like Eurotrish

Sing with me, Eurotrish!  

Send a message via Skype™ to Fomalhaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutelilteen View Post
Oh man, I HATE Mary-Sues!! Overly perfect little b****s. I was once reading a Mary-Sue story and this person took up a whole chapter describing how beautiful this character was. *vomits*

Anywho, awesome picture! Made me laugh out loud. It's so true.
*A little OT*

In other fandoms, Mary-Sues usually have the form of some 16 year-old girl - and stick with that, people, 16, I say, 16! - who is amazingly beautiful and seduces some character (who usually has a girflriend/is engaged/is married/has children etc.). Yes, I may have written Mary-Sues, but when I realized that (I noticed right after posting the first chapter that it was a very clear self-insertion, though the aim was not moving over my fave character), I had the good taste of taking the story off.

In my Foster's fanfics, when I began outlining the story, my first thought was "wouldn't it be nice to move over Wilt cuz I looove him?" YES, people. Thus, Mary-Sueish Shaula was created - BUT! Before I posted the thing, took a look at the section, and noticed the main tendency. Thus, the fic changed from Mary-Suesih Shaula X Wilt to Mary-Suesih Shaula being a peripherial character who is friends with Wilt. Have mercy, people.

"Up in the sky, there's a star for everyone"
Fomalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote