Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #21
LaBloo
Banned
Zombie Fighters!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
gotta say those late model Messerschmitts (totally botched the spelling on that...) any way, rocket-propelled nazi warplanes. designated Me-1something. Me-163? I dunno. Not jet powered but rocket powered, they put a big cannon on them and said, "go knock out some b-17's". These things flew way faster and climbed way higher than anything else, they'd just dive out of the sky and open up on a bomber then glide back when the fuel ran out. No landing gear, just touch down on a field and tow it back to base

the nutjobs also stripped down standard fighter planes and used them to ram, literally ram into, bomber formations... the crazy thing was the pilots were expected to bail out and report for duty again! Its 1945, Germany is obviously sunk, and a bunch of 17 year olds with like 5 flight hours under their belts were expected to fly their Me-109's into B-17 bombers... and bail out and return home! The goal was to cut the cockpit off of the bomber using your wing as a knife, or to chop up the tail with your propeller.

absolutely nuts

ETA yeah i think it was the Me-163

It looks like those aircraft that was used for stuff. How about the flying boats?
They were never a big success.
LaBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

There's a very famous air display group over here called the Red Arrows, they're made up of nine red BAE Hawks, and they perform at airshows all over the UK (and other countries too I think). I've seen them twice at the Sunderland Airshow, and they're always a treat. I always wonder how much training the pilots have to go through to get those routines dead on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Arrows