Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

I decided to be the one who moves this thread into the Way Off Topic Forum, as it's an interesting and very lively discussion and smarter then your average Spam.

Last edited by taranchula; 03-08-2008 at 09:45 PM.
taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Oh yeah, I don't like avocados either. I do however like guacamole, whether as a chip dip or a topping for burritos or haystacks. Although that's only because of the yummy spices added to it. Sometimes I swear my mother actually manipulates herself into liking some foods just because they're healthy. She eats avocados whole and raw, and loves them in salads and sandwiches. I doubt she likes them for their taste or texture though. It's just because they're "healthy". I can't handle them. The taste is just way to bland and they're way to slimy and, let's face it, they remind many of us of something that is far from appetizing.

Another I should mention is brewers yeast. This is a fetish of my dad's. He likes it sprinkled on everything from popcorn to pancakes. No kidding. Again, he likes it because it's healthy, but he's not manipulating himself into liking it as I know he also likes the taste. But that stuff smells and tastes like fermentation. Yuck.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Another I should mention is brewers yeast. This is a fetish of my dad's. He likes it sprinkled on everything from popcorn to pancakes. No kidding. Again, he likes it because it's healthy, but he's not manipulating himself into liking it as I know he also likes the taste. But that stuff smells and tastes like fermentation. Yuck.
Yeast as a topping? Bleh. As far as I'm concerned, yeast has two uses; beer and bread. That's it.

I once read about a case where a form of yeast set up housekeeping in a man's digestive system, much as many forms of bacteria do. Unfortunately, yeast converts everything into alcohol, so no matter what he ate, he got drunk from it. It took the doctors a long time to figure out what was going on; by the time they did, I don't imagine the guy had much of a liver left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
I personally like sweet potatoes and watermelon, and especially sweet potato tempura, and I can tolerate tapioca and tofu, and I like a kind of eggplant dish my mom makes. But....celery flavored soda? Are you messing with me?
No joke:

I had a different brand. It's tolerable stuff, but not by much. While hunting for this pic I also found another odd soda flavor:

I must admit that I'm strangely intrigued by this idea.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #24
Diamond Duchess
Banned
I love chocolate cake, I like pencil erasers, too...  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post

I personally like sweet potatoes and watermelon, and especially sweet potato tempura, and I can tolerate tapioca and tofu, and I like a kind of eggplant dish my mom makes. But....celery flavored soda? Are you messing with me?

Right there with you. Right there with you. Though, have to admit....never had had Mountain Oysters. Are they any good?
Oh, look, I can rant in this thread and make a legitimate post now. Good! I don't dislike many foods, but there are some I try to avoid.

Onions bug me. I'm not particularly fond of the taste and their texture is really off-putting.

Okra tastes and feels incredibly disgusting to me whenever I try to eat it. The exterior is rubbery, the interior is slimy and filled with seeds and it doesn't have much flavor. Bleah.

Also, Nathander, when I read your post containing the mention of celery-flavored soda, I immediately thought of A Series of Unfortunate Events, where a similar soda (parsley-flavored) was a popular beverage. Unfortunately, it left much to be desired, as Cassini noted.

I've had Mountain Oysters at the fair once. They weren't bad, a bit chewy, a bit meaty, but somewhat bland. Each to their own, I suppose.

EDIT: Because it wasn't celery soda in ASOUE, it was actually parsley soda. Changed it to be more accurate.

Last edited by Diamond Duchess; 03-09-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Diamond Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

A reason I refuse to eat lobster is because, I feel bad for them. They're people too, y'know? At my local Red Lobster, the first thing you see is a small tank with lobsters in it. They always look like they want OUT, because the lucky lobster who's grabbed is gonne be the one to NOT gain freedom, but face death in the most horrid way possible: Pain from Hell.

So anyways, I go over and say hello to the poor things, they look at me like they're saying "Get us OUT OF HERE!". And just when you get to know one of them, the one who became your friend...oops, someone just ate 'im. Tragic, to say the least.

I guess that's what I get for being an animal lover.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #26
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

I can't eat lobster, shrimp, fish... basically anything that came out of the ocean. I can only eat fish if it is in a fishstick form and I can only have tuna if it is on a sandwich.

It's not because I'm some kind of hard core animal lover... I mean I do like animals, but that's not why I don't eat the sea creatures. I just find them completely revolting. I mean... shrimp are basically cockroaches of the sea... and lobsters? They're like big bugs. Bugs that you have to crack open to eat. I don't like to be reminded that the thing I'm eating was alive not too long ago. Seeing its legs and face kind of ruins that.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't like chicken that much either... because of the bones... Biting into a bone will pretty much ruin my whole meal. I just find it disgusting to be knawing on bones. I guess I do feel bad for eating the animals... but some of them or so yummy, I can't not eat them.

<Click!

Last edited by Pawbah; 03-09-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Funny a lot of people saying they dislike Bananas. Years ago Bananas had a unique sweet taste that's been lost somehow in most commercial 'nanas as they're too rindy and tasteles. It might be linked to the fact the 'Cavendish' strain of the Musa accuminata, Banana plant is failing after effectively being cloned for decades. Chances are the fruit is leaving the plant too early so it doesn't rot in transit and isn't getting all the sugars it needs for that really yummy taste that was more like the flavour 'Banana' you get in milkshakes. The search is on for replacement, we're trying the Chinese Banana but we're not too hopeful.

I dislike noodles (pity, I like the name) and detest Custard. Foul yellow muck!

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 03-11-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Legal advice
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #28
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

You know, all the things I'm hearing about lobsters and their unpleasant dining habits... has anyone looked at the stuff we feed to cattle, fowl, and swine? And let us not forget that fish swim through and breathe their own pee.

I love lobster and crab; I will happily eat either regardless of how it's prepared. My favorite way is the simplest; you boil it, grab a bib and a big honkin' mallet, and get to work. And work it can be, especially with the larger ones. There's a seafood restaurant called the Chowder Pot not too far from me where one can ask for the King of the tank; soon thereafter, you have the largest lobster in the place sitting in front of you. The one time I ordered it, oh boy did I get more than I bargained for! From the tips of it's outstretched claws to the feathery tufts at the end of it's tail, this animal was nearly three feet long. I don't recall what it weighed but I do recall the shell quite clearly. Medieval knights did not have armor anywhere near as tough as this lobster's protective gear. Excellent meat in every way, and no doubt a good meal for dieting, because I'm sure getting through the shell burned off more calories than the meat contained. Cost a heck of a lot, too, but it was well worth it.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

The thing with lobster is that you can't really kill them before the cooking process, as uncooked lobster meat goes bad quickly. you can make their death nearly instantaneous and LIKELY painless (as far as we can tell), by inserting them into boiling water headfirst, or striking them in the brain right before tossing them in the pot.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #30
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
You know, all the things I'm hearing about lobsters and their unpleasant dining habits... has anyone looked at the stuff we feed to cattle, fowl, and swine? And let us not forget that fish swim through and breathe their own pee.

I love lobster and crab; I will happily eat either regardless of how it's prepared. My favorite way is the simplest; you boil it, grab a bib and a big honkin' mallet, and get to work. And work it can be, especially with the larger ones. There's a seafood restaurant called the Chowder Pot not too far from me where one can ask for the King of the tank; soon thereafter, you have the largest lobster in the place sitting in front of you. The one time I ordered it, oh boy did I get more than I bargained for! From the tips of it's outstretched claws to the feathery tufts at the end of it's tail, this animal was nearly three feet long. I don't recall what it weighed but I do recall the shell quite clearly. Medieval knights did not have armor anywhere near as tough as this lobster's protective gear. Excellent meat in every way, and no doubt a good meal for dieting, because I'm sure getting through the shell burned off more calories than the meat contained. Cost a heck of a lot, too, but it was well worth it.
Oh, barf. I know eating pigs, cows etc might seem gross, but I find them too yummy.

<Click!
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote