Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #21
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

i plan to keep bees, if i miraculously get a home before the Apocalypse, you can turn their honey into mead. If i live far enough south i want to grow tobacco, too. Its all about skills.

In an age where paper money is worthless, if you dont have skills to produce the stuff that people want, you are dead.

The short term goal, for me, is to convert my greenbacks to something stable and steady, like gold or Swiss Francs. The long term goal is producing enough stuff (alcohol, tobaco, etc.) so that if even gold and S. Francs lose their value i can TRADE for the stuff i want.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
vinny
The real mac.

NO U  

Send a message via MSN to vinny

what about other countries? will their value drop also? and out of all the things you could produce, alcohol was first on the list lol. ahhh i caan see it now, libing off the land, boiling sea salt for trade. i think spices would be a good idea to trade.

Last edited by vinny; 11-28-2007 at 11:27 AM.
vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #23
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Good idea with Bees. Granulated sugar is for feebs! Not so sure about tobacco though. Horrible stuff, totally deadly and deadly addictive. I smoke cigars now and when if I could afford it, even now! Fortunately the economic meltdowns already hit me so it's totally off the agenda. It's not so bad, growing things is such a joy in itself. There's lots of commodity items that you can easily grow. I'll be harvesting Grapes, Figs & Carobs next year and Mangos one day. Try Pink Lady apples!

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Vinny, other countries will be hithard as well. Remember: he US still produces a LOT of goods, we still provide a LOT of jobs, and we still throw around a LOT of economic weight. Heck, we pay for so much extra stuff right now, i believe we pay something likt 1/4 of the UN's annual budget...now if we STOPPED paying that the slack would have to be taken up by the rest of Europe and Asia...who will already be in a massive depression just like the USA is. All those third world countries? Forget about it...without the UN pumping ridiculous sums of cash into them they would slip back into complete disrepair. The Great Depression of the '30s was insane. People were starving to death in NYC while trains loaded with milk and corn and beef were sitting on the tracks in Nebraska because nobody had the cash to move them!

BTW alcohol and tobacco? Primo stuff. Think of all the people who are addicted to tobacco...and alcohol takes the edge off really well. That stuff will be in DEMAND.

And Koosie, i agree about refined sugar, its like cocaine the way its produced, really. But tobacco is nice once in a while. A few cigarettes at work make the day seem nicer. And cigars are wonderful, too. Pipe tobacco is the best, IMO. Besides, all the tobacco addicts out there will really want this stuff!

Listen to me people: When paper money becomes worthless (a la the post-WW1 German Reichmark), the currency of the future will be food, drugs, alcohol, medecine, and bullets.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #25
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
Listen to me people: When paper money becomes worthless (a la the post-WW1 German Reichmark), the currency of the future will be food, drugs, alcohol, medecine, and bullets.
Too bad. I may as well take to the streets and start looting right now.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #26
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Too bad. I may as well take to the streets and start looting right now.
attaboy, get in on the ground floor
Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #27
CrazyPhil
Settling In

Ride 'em cowboy.  

Wow, as if our country doesn't have enough problems already. Seriously, we're already dealing with illegal immigration, the "war" in Iraq, and a possible Oil Peek. And now we could be facing a depression worse than the last one. *sigh* Wonderful.

But seriously, what are the chances of this actually happening? I took an economics class last semester, and our teacher did mention that the U.S. dollar could depreciate in value, but by 90%? Isn't that a bit extreme to happen all at once?
Eduardo: "I like voting."

HIM-Best.Band.Ever.

Last edited by CrazyPhil; 02-14-2008 at 01:59 PM.
CrazyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #28
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

haha, never doubt the power of speculation and panic.

Ya know how when theres a hurricane which takes out an oil rig in the gulf, and gas prices in Maine jump up 20 cents overnight? Same principle, fear of shortages, fear of being left in the dark, fear of everything. And greed. Lotsa of that.

So if we do dip further in our current recession you'll find out what i mean when i say "survival of the fittest". Morality is a luxury. People can get mean, real mean when they think they might not be able to feed their kids next week because the Grand Union trucks are all stuck on I-95 without gas. Thats when people start getting shot, thats when people start panicking.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

I don't know if the dollar is going to drop 90%, but everybody has been saying for some time that it WILL take a serious hit in the next few years. Not having it tied to anything concrete doesn't help, either.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #30
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

yeah. Besides, i remember being younger and having such an edge on Canadian money going up and really getting good stuff for my greenbacks...now their money is worth more. Thats an appreciable slip in just my lifetime. I'm 18. Thats a fast decline.