Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Supporting Cast

Notices

Supporting Cast Discuss everyone else in the show, both human and imaginary. For discussions about single, specific characters only.

View Poll Results: Rate "Imposter's Home"
A 11 24.44%
B 4 8.89%
C 13 28.89%
D 8 17.78%
F 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #191
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Be fun to tie a knot in it, though.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #192
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

I finally saw that their was a poll added, and I gave the episode a D.

As I've stated before, I did not look Goofball or this episode, but my reasoning for disliking it tends to be very different then the apparent predominant reasoning for disliking it. While I do think Frankie got a raw deal, her treatment in and of itself wasn't enough to anger me, because as I've said before, I still don't feel this was the cruelest prank pulled on someone in the show.

My primary reason for disliking it is that I don't feel the character of Goofball, or the episode in general, was well structured. I know the whole thing with Goofball actually being an IF was intended to be irony, but I think it was poorly done considering the fact that they had already set up so much to disprove this, as well as some of Goofball's own actions, such as actively guarding his red nose. I STILL don't get that; the only reason he could have been so possessive was for the fact that he was afraid Frankie would steal it from him, which makes no sense as he has no reason to believe Frankie would just maliciously take his property from him.

There's also the fact that he couldn't remember simple information about himself (his full name, his phone number, ect.) and that he had homework. Perhaps, in Canada, IFs also have to go to school for whatever reason. I don't know. Perhaps he was just genuinely stupid, which is my personal belief. Kind of like Cheese, but able to communicate better.

I just thought it was a poorly done episode that wasn't up to snuff with the rest of the series, really.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #193
Voxxyn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
I still don't feel this was the cruelest prank pulled on someone in the show.
I'm not so sure about this. I think what Goofball did to Frankie in this episode was far worse than what happened to Mac in "I Only Have Surprise For You".

Mac didn't have to put up with the demands of a malicious jerk(whether intentionally or accidentally doesn't change the fact he WAS), buy groceries twice on the same day, do extra hours of cleaning and chores, and be denied from going to something he'd been anticipating forever. Bloo's birthday party plan for Mac WAS a cruel prank, I'm not doubting that. But by comparison, Frankie wasn't 'pranked' at all--she was ABUSED and TORTURED.

I'm not trying to discredit the unpleasantness of what the entire house did to Mac in IOHSFY. I felt bad for him, and really angry at Bloo. But what happened to Frankie in IHFUMEUP is on another level of horror and suffering.

I DO completely agree that the episode was very lacking in technical merits, and was a very poor "swan song" for Craig Lewis. The thinness and laziness of the actual plot, compared to the extreme harshness of Frankie's suffering, was what originally led me to believe it was an attack on Frankie. Whether or not it actually was an attack, doesn't change the fact it continues to upset and depress me just for existing.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #194
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
I'm not trying to discredit the unpleasantness of what the entire house did to Mac in IOHSFY. I felt bad for him, and really angry at Bloo. But what happened to Frankie in IHFUMEUP is on another level of horror and suffering.
I partially disagree. On one hand, I agree this was a terrible episode for Frankie and it was absolute hell for her. However, I think the overall affect of what happened to Mac in IOHSFY was more "damaging" because he was psychologically scarred.

That's the main thing that really pissed me off. Frankie's day of hell was just that, a day, and while I'm no way condoning what Goofball did to her, I'm still really upset at the fact that Bloo drove Mac into a mental phobia of his own birthday. At least Frankie only had to put up with Goofball for one day.

Mac on the other hand is shown to be scarred for life and fearing his birthday at every wake and turn. And that's what really upsets me, the fact he had be so afraid of something that's joyful. Goofball was an ass for a day, but what Bloo did is everlasting.

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 12-04-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #195
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Mac didn't have to put up with the demands of a malicious jerk(whether intentionally or accidentally doesn't change the fact he WAS)
Not so. Mac, at the end, allowed himself to dance to the whims of Bloo, who is a jerk (though, unlike Goofball, a likeable and....oddly enough, commonly friendly jerk) and, in "I Only Have Surprise for You", his actions could easily be considered malicious. Of course, I doubt he was intentionally malicious, but as you yourself said, intentionally or accidentally doesn't change the fact that Bloo was a jerk in this episode. What he did was worse psychological in the long run then what Goofbally did to Frankie. Mac has had a fear of his own birthday for some time now due to Bloo, and now it's not only due to Bloo but just about everyone in the one sanctuary and joyful place he has. Quite obviously, it'll be hard for him to come to trust any of them, as they used his eventual shame and his attempt to set himself right to them for their amusement and entertainment. Goofball never actively attempted to use Frankie's shame for the sake of amusement, from what I can remember.

Quote:
Bloo's birthday party plan for Mac WAS a cruel prank, I'm not doubting that. But by comparison, Frankie wasn't 'pranked' at all--she was ABUSED and TORTURED.
Frankie had to miss a single concert and do extra chores. Mac was humilated in front of everyone he thought he could trust, after having been spit on by them for having been a jerk, and then having his goodwill thrown back in his face when he found out the entire thing was part of a scam to make him perform an act Mac himself found to be one of the ultimate forms of degredation. Now, while we could say Frankie was humiliated by Goofball during her Goof-Goof routine, it wasn't as if EVERYONE in the house had conspired against her for this. She was embarrassed by one jerk, and one we will never see again. Mac was embarrassed and insulted by every single person he counted as a friend, who he sees each day.

No offense, but I see what happened to Frankie being more along the lines of a prank then the cruelty enacted towards Mac. I'm not saying Frankie wasn't treated cruelly; she was, I thought she didn't deserve what happened to her one bit. However, I still don't think the deal she got was as raw as the one Mac got.

Quote:
The thinness and laziness of the actual plot, compared to the extreme harshness of Frankie's suffering, was what originally led me to believe it was an attack on Frankie. Whether or not it actually was an attack, doesn't change the fact it continues to upset and depress me just for existing.
And you have more then the right to feel as such. I myself feel the same way about IOHSFY, so I'd be a hypocrit to lambast you for feeling that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow
That's the main thing that really pissed me off. Frankie's day of hell was just that, a day, and while I'm no way condoning what Goofball did to her, I'm still really upset at the fact that Bloo drove Mac into a mental phobia of his own birthday. At least Frankie only had to put up with Goofball for one day.

Mac on the other hand is shown to be scarred for life and fearing his birthday at every wake and turn. And that's what really upsets me, the fact he had be so afraid of something that's joyful. Goofball was an ass for a day, but what Bloo did is everlasting.
My sentiments exactly, Mr. Marshmallow. My sentiments exacly.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #196
Voxxyn
Banned

I see you're looking at this in terms of public embarassment. To me, the 'embarassment' aspect in IHFUMEUP(Frankie being unmasked from her Goof-Goof disguise) was just a poisoned extra topping to the realization that Frankie was forced to miss something she really wanted to see so she could instead clean an entire gigantic mansion "top to bottom", despite all the extra work and cleaning she did on what was supposed to be her day off thanks to a lazy jerk, and in face of the fact that she's already a very underappreciated and sympathetic person.

And it was NOT just Goofball who made Frankie suffer. Bloo caused the chemistry set flood at the beginning, assisted Goofball with eating all the food, and essentially became his partner-in-crime. Goofball also had human friends over who made a huge mess. Mr. Herriman kept ordering Frankie to clean up all the messes caused by Goofball/Bloo, and was the one who made the decision which led to her missing the concert. And none of the other friends - not even WILT - felt any guilt about going to the concert without her(even though she worked very hard for the tickets and it was probably her decision to take the gang with her), nor did they even bring her anything from the event(a t-shirt, autograph, etc) as consolation. Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER... and then got away unscathed with commiting some incredibly callous acts just two episodes later.

Mac definitely won't have it easy trying to trust his friends after the birthday scheme, or being able to enjoy birthdays in the near future. But Frankie, following her ordeal with Goofball, is still left as being a very underappreciated and 'taken advantage of' maid, who still has an oppressive rabbit as her boss, still has a wild blob of an IF to clean up after and put up with, and has a grandmother with the luxury of getting away with literally everything the TV-Y7 rating will allow.

In an admitedly weird and bizzare way, I deeply sympathize with Mac's ordeal. Mac was betrayed by the people supposed to be his best friends with a birthday plot to embarass him. I, as a Frankie fan, felt betrayed by people I greatly admire with an episode that was very painful and cruel. Just like it'll be very hard for Mac to fully forgive his friends for that humiliating experience, it's become very hard for me to fully forgive the show's writers and staff for making this episode and allowing it to air in the first place. I'm greatly hoping Season 5 will have a Frankie episode that will heal the wounds of this episode("Setting A President" was not enough) and celebrates her character instead of burying her, but there's still part of me that fears they'll end up creating another hurtful monstrosity of an episode(though I see IOHSFY is already considered as such by some).

Last edited by Voxxyn; 12-05-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #197
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Well said indeed, and an excellent summary. I can't find anything here that I really disagree with. However,

Quote:
Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER...
We can't place any blame on Madam Foster; I can't see being absent as a strike against her. For all we know she could have been comforting a sick friend at the hospital all day, or perhaps out schmoozing the local big shots in an attempt to raise funds for the house. Had she been at home I like to think she could have, and would have, intervened. Unfortunately she wasn't, but it isn't her fault that she has other things outside of the house to take care of.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 10-21-2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #198
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Quote:
I see you're looking at this in terms of public embarassment. To me, the 'embarassment' aspect in IHFUMEUP(Frankie being unmasked from her Goof-Goof disguise) was just a poisoned extra topping to the realization that Frankie was forced to miss something she really wanted to see so she could instead clean an entire gigantic mansion "top to bottom", despite all the extra work and cleaning she did on what was supposed to be her day off thanks to a lazy jerk, and in face of the fact that she's already a very underappreciated and sympathetic person.

And it was NOT just Goofball who made Frankie suffer. Bloo caused the chemistry set flood at the beginning, assisted Goofball with eating all the food, and essentially became his partner-in-crime. Goofball also had human friends over who made a huge mess. Mr. Herriman kept ordering Frankie to clean up all the messes caused by Goofball/Bloo, and was the one who made the decision which led to her missing the concert. And none of the other friends - not even WILT - felt any guilt about going to the concert without her(even though she worked very hard for the tickets and it was probably her decision to take the gang with her), nor did they even bring her anything from the event(a t-shirt, autograph, etc) as consolation. Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER... and then got away unscathed with commiting some incredibly callous acts just two episodes later.

Mac definitely won't have it easy trying to trust his friends after the birthday scheme, or being able to enjoy birthdays in the near future. But Frankie, following her ordeal with Goofball, is still left as being a very underappreciated and 'taken advantage of' maid, who still has an oppressive rabbit as her boss, still has a wild blob of an IF to clean up after and put up with, and has a grandmother with the luxury of getting away with literally everything the TV-Y7 rating will allow.

In an admitedly weird and bizzare way, I deeply sympathize with Mac's ordeal. Mac was betrayed by the people supposed to be his best friends with a birthday plot to embarass him. I, as a Frankie fan, felt betrayed by people I greatly admire with an episode that was very painful and cruel. Just like it'll be very hard for Mac to fully forgive his friends for that humiliating experience, it's become very hard for me to fully forgive the show's writers and staff for making this episode and allowing it to air in the first place. I'm greatly hoping Season 5 will have a Frankie episode that will heal the wounds of this episode("Setting A President" was not enough) and celebrates her character instead of burying her, but there's still part of me that fears they'll end up creating another hurtful monstrosity of an episode(though I see IOHSFY is already considered as such by some).
In the words of Fred Flintstone - "Ooooh boy!"
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #199
InsaneFan
Foster's Legend
It's time for Animaniacs!  

Send a message via AIM to InsaneFan

He has many haters...And surprisingly, Goofball's thread is 20 pages long.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #200
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneFan View Post
He has many haters...And surprisingly, Goofball's thread is 20 pages long.
20 pages? Yikes!
Closed Thread