Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:25 AM   #11
Ricky Fieldmouse
Revived Member

HELLO THERE. I'M DOCTOR RABBIT  

Send a message via MSN to Ricky Fieldmouse

I use Imageshack, 'cause it isn't sophisticated, but it has too many popups.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
ptps
At Home

Best Friends Forever  

Flickr isn't a site to host stuff like drawings and all, I think? When I first heard about it it was more of a stock photography website, but lately people are just joining and posting whatever. :/ And I don't like it mainly the browsing thing is just... I dunno, lol, I don't like it.

On the other hand, photobucket can get really annoying every time the server overloads and you have to wait to maybe hours before the site starts working again.

Tinypic has been ten minutes in loading and the website still hasn't appeared. I'm giving it up. >>;
ptps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I have both Flickr and Photobucket. Flickr only because Yahoo Photos will no longer be in existance come next month, and all my pictures would have been lost in cyberspace for ever. And Flickr is a Yahoo partner and was easily accessable. But I personally don't like it as much as I did Yahoo photos. I agree with what many have mentioned before, Flickr takes a while to come up, and although it has many different ways to organize your photos, in doing so it just makes the page take even longer to come up, and more buttons to click to actually get where you want. It also has a free account and a paid account, and in hoping you get a paid account, they limit the number of pictures you can upload in a certain time, and there are many annoying ads. The only reason I have it is because it saved my 100s of Yahoo pictures before they were lost forever, and I can also display them on my Yahoo 360 blog because, well, it's fun to see pictures in a blog!

I opened up a Photobucket account a few months ago because I tried linking to a picture from Flickr in a blog and it didn't work so well. But I heard how easy and carefree Photobucket is. And what I heard was right. They lay everything out for you, and it's specifically for those of us who blog and post in message boards and forums. You can't organize your pictures as much at Photobucket, but it's so easy to use. And it loads a lot faster. At the moment, I only use Photobucket for pictures I want to share somewhere, and Flickr as an "everything" album. I also have a Snapfish album, which a number of years ago I opened to be my main online photo album. It's very similar to what Yahoo Photos was like, it's easy to manage your pictures and fun to use. It's free, but the only catch is you have buy something once a year to keep your pictures safe. They email you a warning a month or so before you're due to buy something, but if you don't check your email or have steady access to a computer, you may not get the warning, and one day you find your account no longer exists and all your great pictures are gone forever. But you can buy something as little as a 12 cent print, so it's not too big a deal. I've been happy with them.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

I was going to say that Tinypic is best, but then I saw that I already posted that like 9 months ago. My answer is still the same, for what it's worth; it's simple, the links don't go down (in my experience), and you can host giant pictures (my art is always giant) -- but your URL will always be tiny! :B

The only downside is that you don't make an account so basically unless you c+p the link to your pic it will disappear into the ether. Then you have to upload it again. But Tinypic is still my favorite.

Last edited by kageri; 08-01-2007 at 06:36 PM.
kageri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #15
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

I've only ever used Photobucket, never had a problem with it.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #16
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I never even heard of Flikr before. I'm a photobucket man myself.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

As much as I dislike this "award winning" site, I now have a Flickr account. Why? Because Yahoo! says I do. Fine, whatever, at least I'm not paying anything for it. The account has a couple of pics on it; one is of my Frankie plush prior to her arrival here (photo courtesy of the lady who created her), and the other is a scan of a cassette tape label (Deep Purple, for those interested). I'm told that these were transferred from my now defunct Yahoo! account. The trouble is, I have absolutely no memory whatsoever of ever uploading either pic to Yahoo!, so I'm feeling just a little bit confused at the moment.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 11-02-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Corrected punctuation error.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #18
Mayor Adam West
At Home
Oh yes, I'm a man who loves his taffy  

Send a message via AIM to Mayor Adam West Send a message via MSN to Mayor Adam West Send a message via Yahoo to Mayor Adam West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
I never even heard of Flikr before. I'm a photobucket man myself.
Yeah, same here, I've only heard of Photobucket, and that's the best one for me to use.
Mayor Adam West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
The trouble is, I have absolutely no memory whatsoever of ever uploading either pic to Yahoo!, so I'm feeling just a little bit confused at the moment.
Yahoo use to automatically save any pictures you attached in an email, and sometimes downloaded from an email sent to you (depending how it was sent). I thought that was kind of cool way back in the day when I remembered a picture I was emailed but learned I accidentally deleted that email. Then one day while browsing through my Yahoo photo albums, there it was! The email was gone, but I still had the picture. It was a nice surprise. Don't know yet if Yahoo will do the same courtesy now with Flickr. I'm still irritated at that, I liked Yahoo Photos.

As of last week, my "free trial" of Flickr Pro expired, and I now can only download so many mp's of photos in any given month, and also have access to only the latest 300 pics I uploaded there. If I want any access to the other (250 or so) pictures, I have to buy a Pro membership. This also means that with every picture I upload, a picture (or two, depending on the size of the one I'm uploading) at the end of the line also disappears and I won't be able to see it again unless I buy a Pro membership. Gah!! Luckily, they did have the courtesy to warn me of this, and I managed to save all my pictures onto my hard drive, so they're safe, for now. But now I have to either write them all to disk or upload them again into another online photo account, because if something happens to my hard drive, then *poof!* they'll be gone again.

I'm liking Photobucket more and more every day, I think.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #20
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

This is what they told me this morning:

Quote:
Hi again (Cassini's email address goes here)-

Yee har! All your photos have been imported from your AT&T
Yahoo! Photos account to Flickr.

FYI, we know you had 0 public photos and 2 private photos
over on AT&T Yahoo! Photos. We've marked everything private
because Flickr works a bit differently to AT&T Yahoo!
Photos. If you're happy to make things public, you can use
a handy little tool we built to make the photos you had
public on AT&T Yahoo! Photos public on Flickr as well.
Private photos will stay private.

You have a Pro account, at no cost as long as you keep your
AT&T Yahoo! service.

Just sign in to get started:
(Cassini's brand-spanking-new Flickr account address goes here)

Welcome!

Regards, Team Flickr
"Yee har"? Yeah, okay, that's a real confidence booster.

Photobucket has an upper limit, too, but it's a very long way off. I currently have over 400 photos there, mostly Sims-related, mostly linked to here. It's easy to use and does what I need it to, which is all I ask of any site. I may upload some of the pics I've taken with my camera to Flickr at some point but for the moment I'm just thinking about it.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote