Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Oh by the way Pawbah, the best bait for mice in my experience is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I used to have pet rats, and although peanut butter's not good for them (they can choke on it) they LOVE it. If you don't have luck with other baits I recommend Reese's, as its sweeter, and therefore smells stronger, than straight pb.

(I've had to deal with mouse outbreaks far more often than I'd like to admit! Just about everywhere I've lived, college included, we had mice at one time or another.)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_dream View Post
Also, since rats can be cute, too, if you don't want to kill the rat, they have humane traps that just TRAP the rat without killing it. Then you're free to just let it go somewhere away from the house. Same goes with sticky traps, as long as you get the thing off with cooking oil and don't leave it there to die.
Rats cute?! No that's mice, not rats.

Ugh... I hate rats. We used to have some in our garage. But they're all dead now, that was before we had a cat. We haven't had them since. (Our cat hangs in the garage where her food & litter is)

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:05 AM   #13
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Heh, I like rats, much more so than mice - obviously I wouldn't want them crawling around my cupboard, but the domesticated variety can make very intelligent and affectionate companions (I've been informed that they're actually a lot more rewarding to keep as pets than the routine hamster, since they don't sleep all day and are much less likely to bite), and the wild variety can provide a lot of amusement value with the various stories you hear about their cheerful defiance (however hard humans strive to stop them, the rats will find a way...). At the very least, you've gotta admire that impressive vitality of theirs.

Besides, I anticipate that rats are going to be very much in vogue this summer, what with the upcoming release of Pixar's Ratatouille.

The only thing that puts me off wanting to keep a pet rat of my own is their typically short lifespan...like most rodents, they only seem to have a very meagre two or three year's worth of life in them, which is too short for me. If I'm ever getting a rodent, then it's going to be something a bit more hard-wearing, like a chinchilla. They can live an average of 10-15 years, so I'm told.

Fortunately we've never had any infestations at my house worse than a handful of common or garden ants (and cat fleas, which are a given). There has been the odd occasion in which my cats have carried live mice into the house and then...misplaced them. In which case, the problem usually rectifies itself.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 06-10-2007 at 03:08 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Heh, I like rats, much more so than mice - obviously I wouldn't want them crawling around my cupboard, but the domesticated variety can make very intelligent and affectionate companions (I've been informed that they're actually a lot more rewarding to keep as pets than the routine hamster, since they don't sleep all day and are much less likely to bite), and the wild variety can provide a lot of amusement value with the various stories you hear about their cheerful defiance (however hard humans strive to stop them, the rats will find a way...). At the very least, you've gotta admire that impressive vitality of theirs.

Besides, I anticipate that rats are going to be very much in vogue this summer, what with the upcoming release of Pixar's Ratatouille.

The only thing that puts me off wanting to keep a pet rat of my own is their typically short lifespan...like most rodents, they only seem to have a very meagre two or three year's worth of life in them, which is too short for me. If I'm ever getting a rodent, then it's going to be something a bit more hard-wearing, like a chinchilla. They can live an average of 10-15 years, so I'm told.

Fortunately we've never had any infestations at my house worse than a handful of common or garden ants (and cat fleas, which are a given). There has been the odd occasion in which my cats have carried live mice into the house and then...misplaced them. In which case, the problem usually rectifies itself.
I agree with you on rats here, since I also find them to be cute, especially when they're young and go through that "gawky" stage like puppies, with too-big feet and ears and not enough of anything else! They're also very intelligent and can be very affectionate. Mice, in contrast, at the MOST will just tolerate being held, and are MUCH smellier and more likely to bite. Both are being bred in a nice variety of coat colors, patterns, and textures, or if you prefer, no coat at all! Still, like you said, they have very short lifespans, and in my case, I'm horribly allergic to their dander(which even the wrinkly hairless rats have in abundance). I started breeding rats years ago as snake food(hey, snakes gotta eat, too), and found that they made wonderful pets, much better rodent pets than hamsters or gerbils, in my opinion. I sold a lot of surplus baby rats as pets. Now, I can't even go in a building with live rats or mice, due to my asthma, and have to buy pre-killed frozen rodents to feed my snakes, and even THOSE cause me some degree of misery.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

I went to work and saw the Ratatouille trailer and started laughing cause of my current situation. If the rat in my Kitchen started cooking then maybe I wouldn't have to get rid of it.

Sparky, Thanks for the Peanut butter tip. I'll keep that in mind.

<Click!
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #16
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

you could rent a mongoose for a day.

Or (if you live in a rural area) borrow a friend's outdoor cat. They're always bringing me dead rodents as presents.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
you could rent a mongoose for a day.

Or (if you live in a rural area) borrow a friend's outdoor cat. They're always bringing me dead rodents as presents.
Mine used to bring home birds but not all of them were dead.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
montitech
Foster's Legend

I think most rats are a bit too big for the common cat, but cats are good and may spook it.

Poison as mentioned above does work, From what I hear. the poison dehydrates the rat, so they try to find water. So if the rat is traped in the house (sort of speak) then it would get caught in a wall. Typically when poisoned they wind up in the basement. I remember we found a dead 8 inch rat in the kitchen closet when I was a kid.

I would suggest the nonkilling traps, they are like racoon traps but smaller. the only problem with them is where do you put the rat. If you put it outside, It would proboly make its way back in. and then some towns have laws that prohibit transporting wildlife (and rodents). so you may want to give your local animal controle a call to check on the laws and options.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Mine used to bring home birds but not all of them were dead.
i pulled a live chickadee outa mine's mouth. Bird flew away.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #20
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

We have a rat and mouse problem. Though that's nothing compared to the whistle pig problem in the ceiling. Apparently they fight the other rodents for dominance, and then fight each other. Ah, the Wild West.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote