Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #1771
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Tinker Bell

Go ahead and laugh, I don't care.

I've been wanting to rent this out for some time, and I finally got the chance. I really enjoyed this movie, even if it was a bit short. Still, Tink will always remain a young, VERY pretty fairy to me.

Okay, you can stop laughing now.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #1772
HerrimanWasHere
At Home

*Non Omnis Moria* "I dislike you with great intensity."  

Send a message via MSN to HerrimanWasHere

The Great Mouse Detective

I love watching Rattigan on the screen! He's so...liquid-like with his movements. Basil is great too...

~"No, sir, I make it a rule of mine: the more it looks like Queer Street, the less I ask." ~
HerrimanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #1773
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Muppets Take Manhattan

and

Waltz with Bashir

I watched these flicks pretty much back-to-back on Monday and, wow, there could hardly have been a greater contrast between the two. One film is amusing, light-hearted and loveable, the other is bleak, brutal and harrowing. Actually, the latter, despite its grim subject matter, in which a former Israel Defence soldier attempts to get to the bottom of his experiences in the 1982 Lebanon War, was beautifully rendered, using rotoscope animation techniques - not too unlike the visuals in Richard Linklater's Waking Life, only whereas the rotoscoping in that film provided a gleefully giddy sense of surreality, in Waltz it gives the film a stark, often nightmarish quality. For fans of animation (or indeed cinema in general), this is certainly something quite rare and different.

Muppets Take Manhattan is an enjoyable flick with lots of amusing gags, though admittedly the plot doesn't have a great deal of teeth.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 01-28-2009 at 04:04 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #1774
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Okay if anyone of you are still laughing about me seeing Tinker Bell, you can now stop laughing because earlier today I went to see Frank Miller's first solo film as a director...

The Spirit

Gabriel Macht is a rookie cop who is shot dead, and reborn again as The Spirit, who protects Central City, whilst hunting down The Octopus (Samuel L Jackson in a kick-ass performance!) and meeting various women who either want to love, seduce or kill the hero.

But I have to say.. the Octopus' henchmen... they are what you can truly call dumb henchmen! They were as dumb as any other henchmen I've ever seen!

Overall, a really fun movie, if you can forget the fact that it's another all green screen film (like 300 and Speed Racer). I really enjoyed it.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #1775
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I, for one, am not laughing at you FF. I'm a big Disney fan as it is, and have been wanting to see it myself. But I'll also admit I've seen a number of the Barbie movies. And although the earlier ones are cheesy, some of the later ones are actually pretty good. I wouldn't recommend them to a guy, as they are indeed very girly. But the stories, the art, and usually even the voice acting is pretty good.

I'm kind of planning on watching one of the DVDs I got for Christmas tonight, Elizabeth- The Golden Age with Cate Blanchett. My mother knows my love for history, especially Medieval and Renaissance times, so she knew I'd like it. And I'm sure I will.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #1776
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Super Mario Bros.

As far as the people I know goes, I am probably the only person on the planet who actually liked this movie, enjoyed it thoroughly, and actually bought it (my dad is the only other person who likes it). With a video game as utterly ridiculous and bizarre as Mario Bros, its not hard to believe that a director would have to take drastic creative differences with the material and try to make some kind of sense or story out of it.

I actually thought the parallel world where dinosaurs evolved and built their whole society around using electricity instead of gasoline and fossil fuels (for obvious reasons) was an ingenious concept even if it didn't have anything to do with Mario. Plus, say what you will about the movie, I've rarely seen a movie mention so MUCH reference material about a game/show before so constantly.

Above all else, I loved the actors and the special effects with the Goombas and the devo guns (super scopes actually). Brilliant performances from one of my favorite actors, Bob Hoskins, and of course Dennis Hopper as Koopa who was a blast as the head villain. I actually would prefer watching this movie over half the over ego inflated artistically pompous films most critics shove into award shows.

Yeah that probably makes me sound crazy but I'm usually into more of the unknown or lesser appreciated movies and TV shows anyway.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #1777
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

You're not crazy; I've seen the movie several times and thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #1778
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

I watched Repo! The Genetic Opera a couple of days ago.

Man, that was fun! It was gory, but in a campy way, and I found myself really wrapped up in the story. Grave Robber and Blind Mag rule!

I have been looking forward to this film for a while, so it was nice to finally get to see it (the road tour never came anywhere near me. It's really too bad because I would've LOVED to see it in a theater ).

And really? I never took any of the bad reviews seriously because all they ever did was focus on Paris Hilton, and how oh so horrible the movie was because Paris Hilton's in it. Mm-hmm. Paris has about 10 minutes total screen time. They're gonna base a whole review on someone who is in a movie for 10 minutes? Okay. Besides,
Spoiler Below
her face falls off
, so Paris haters should enjoy that.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #1779
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
You're not crazy; I've seen the movie several times and thoroughly enjoyed it each time.
Well then that makes you the 3rd only other person I have ever found who loved that movie which is just fine and dandy by me.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #1780
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I think I saw it differently than most other people because I never played the videogame. I knew who Mario was, and a couple other characters too, but that was the extent of my knowledge, so I didn't expect to see anything in particular (other than a couple of colorfully dressed plumbers, anyway). Hard to say what kind of difference that may or may not have made.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote