Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #1671
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Nick and Norah's Infinite playlist

A teen comedy/romance starring Michael Cera and the "Juno" girl, (can't remember her name). Let me start off by saying I didn't think this movie was going to be great, I thought it was going to be okay and have a few good laughs but ultimately a forgettable movie. Happily, this movie was anything but forgettable.

While I personally don't think Cera is that much of a versatile actor, forever bound to the shy, meek, geeky quiet guy, he fit the role perfectly here and considering how the movie was set up, I couldn't see anyone doing it better. The movie is fun, simple, and hilarious, there's such comical depth to the awkward situations and dialog coming from these easily to relate to characters.

It had an excellent soundtrack and most importantly, a beautiful and enjoyable romantic story that I not only felt was sincere and well acted, but extremely enjoyable to watch for 90 minutes. I usually hate RL romance movies (outside of a few) because I always felt unlike toons, human actors fail to deliver sincere emotions of "love" and I end up feeling it looks too fake.

There have been a few films where I honestly felt the love was sincere and very authentically displayed. Nick and Norah's performance was truly stupendous and one of the most down to earth, realistic looking, and genuine feeling romantic movie I have seen in a good long time and that aspect alone makes me feel truly overwhelmed and over joyed for a movie I expected was to be average and turned out to be well, WELL above average.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 AM   #1672
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Philadelphia

As far as I'm concerned, this is Tom Hanks' greatest performance - yes, I know that he's awesome as Woody the Cowboy, and as a 13-year-old boy trapped inside a 30-year-old's body in Big, but he really is quite outstanding here - and it pleases me so much to know that he won an Oscar for his efforts. Same goes for Bruce Springsteen for his song, "The Streets of Philadelphia", which was actually my favourite Springsteen song even before I got to see it in its proper context here. It's a great movie - poignant, powerful and at times very angering, but ultimately very touching.

Trivia: It was Tom Hanks' Oscar acceptance speech for this particular film which would later serve as the inspiration for the 1997 comedy In and Out.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 10-06-2008 at 06:15 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #1673
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

The Happening

Oh dear. Unless I'm missing something obvious, like the twist was that it's meant to be a bad film, Mr M Night Shyamalan has really messed up terribly here. While I really liked the premise and at least one of the characters, the plot just seemed to wander off somewhere like it wasn't really bothered. Like lots of films of this type there are some great bits but none of them involving the central characters you're forced follow around. It didn't help that some of the acting was so poor too. I did wonder whether the odd unconvincing way that certain lines are spoken was actually part of 'the happening' but apparently not. It's really interesting to compare the similarities between this and 2 other fairly recent 'disaster' movies: The War of the Worlds remake and Diary of the dead, neither of which I thought was totally brilliant but they were both way better than this. Sorry!

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #1674
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
A teen comedy/romance starring Michael Cera and the "Juno" girl.
Ellen Page is the name of the lead actress in Juno. She wasn't in this film. The part of Norah was played by Kat Dennings, perhaps best known for playing Marla, Catherine Keener's daughter in The 40 Year-Old Virgin.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #1675
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerostarMonk View Post
Ellen Page is the name of the lead actress in Juno. She wasn't in this film. The part of Norah was played by Kat Dennings, perhaps best known for playing Marla, Catherine Keener's daughter in The 40 Year-Old Virgin.
Yeah I know, I realized that but was too lazy to go back and fix it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #1676
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

The Return of the Living Dead

One of my favorite zombie films, and comedy-horror films, ever. The film has so many great moments its hard to name just a few. Along with the Evil Dead series, it's one of the few movies I can say I never get tired of seeing. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and pick it up.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #1677
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Midnight Meat Train

A dark, bloody movie that was directed by the same man who created Godzilla Final Wars and Versus and based on a story written by Clive Barker, creator of the Hellraiser series. This movie got severely screwed by distributors and barely made it to any remotely public or well known theaters outside of a few places.

I was upset at this and when I saw the movie on demand, i was most interested in seeing the movie. After finally seeing it I was extremely pleased to discover this movie kicked ass! It was incredibly violent, bloody and full of gore and yet, well acted, beautifully filmed and Vinnie Jones (Juggernaut from X-men 3) was fantastic and yet he was practically a mute the entire film.

The ending was very twisted and very bizarre and yet, I don't feel it was too stupid or too weird for the movie. Yet it could be the fact it was filmed so well the shock value of it didn't even bother me that much. I loved the fact the characters here acted realistically and didn't pull off over cliched horror movie reactions or do any obvious "horror mistakes" like you see in Scream or etc. As Ryuhei Kitamura's (director) first U.S. made movie, I look forward to see much more of his work.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #1678
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

The Machinist

Powerful and disturbing film with Christian Bale as an industrial worker suffering from insomnia and chronic weight loss, haunted by images of punishment and locked in a spiral of confusion and paranoia. Reminiscent of Jacob's Ladder with its imagry of descent and the way it builds to a deeply moving resolution. Well worth it. If you've not seen it, see it now before someone spoils it for you.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #1679
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quarantine

Very intense movie, feels almost 100% real with a start to finish video camera point of view film view and absolutely NO music. No suspense music, no creepy music, nothing at all but the film's natural sounds. There's plenty of jump scares, creepy surprises and a very dark, realistic sense of authenticity feeling here.

The "Infected" are very creepy and look much better and terrifying then other infected zombie like beings like in the 28 days/weeks later movies. All of the actors and characters felt very real especially Jennifer Carpenter as the lead, gore was pretty good too for those who enjoy it. I had a few freak out moments, not the scariest movie I've ever seen but certainly the most intense.

Great Halloween movie to catch this October, once the **** hits the fan, it doesn't stop and neither does the freakyness.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #1680
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Dead Man

A cracking great movie from Jim Jarmusch - part inversed Western, part black comedy, part meditative drama, I consider it to be amongst his very finest work, and Johnny Depp's too for that matter. Here, Johnny plays a timid young accountant named William Blake (though unaware of his more famous literary namesake) who travels to the American Frontier in the hopes of receiving employment there, only to be rejected and then involved in a lethal shoot-out which leaves the other man dead and himself mortally wounded. Forced to flee the town, and with a trio of bounty hunters hot upon his trail (two of whom are fairly amicable, the other, played with delicious malevolence by Lance "Bishop" Henriksen, is utterly psychopathic), things take a turn for William when a somewhat eccentric Native American who calls himself "Nobody" comes to his aid and, sensing that his new-found companion does not have a great deal of time left, decides to take him on a journey to help him prepare for death. Like all of Jarmusch's films, it's unconventional, brilliantly engrossing, and makes wonderful use of visuals and understatement, and while there are plenty of winces and chuckles to be had from its macabre sense of humour throughout (the scene with Alfred Molina is particularly gratifying), ultimately it's quite an ethereal and haunting experience. I'd definitely recommend this one to anyone who likes their movies to be offbeat and slightly surreal.

Oh, and yesterday I caught the vast majority of Zathura, a not-so-subtle successor to my generation's Jumanji. To be honest, I was mainly watching it for Tim Robbins' contributions - perhaps a tad unfortunate, given that he only appears at the very beginning and at the very end, but it actually turned out to be quite an enjoyable and entertaining kids' film all-round, with a pretty nice twist in the tail, so I can't say that I was disappointed.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 10-23-2008 at 06:20 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote