Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #1651
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

One of Eastwood's best as far as I'm concerned. Definitely a four-star effort.

It's actually the third movie of a trilogy, although I think the only connection between the three movies is Clint Eastwood's unnamed character and director Sergio Leone. The other two movies were A Fistfull Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More. Both were excellent but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was the best of the three.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #1652
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17
Thumbs up

I have to agree with Cassini-- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a fantastic movie. When I was younger, my dad loved Clint Eastwood movies, and I hated them; now that I'm older, I can really appreciate the movies and enjoy them with my dad. Personally, I enjoy Pale Rider and The Good... best out of all the ones I've seen

But yes, that is one helluva movie.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #1653
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Oh, I loved The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - an epic story, and with a cracking sense of humour too. I actually saw it a couple of years ago at my student cinema through a slightly dodgy print, in which a few missing frames here and there enabled characters to perform the remarkable magical act of making their enemies drop dead without even having to fire a gun. Which gave it an additional element of comedy but, needless to say, couldn't possibly detract from what an amazing piece of film-making it truly was. It's long overdue for a rewatch.

Anyways...

Waiting For Guffman

The This Is Spinal Tap of community theatre! Presented in mockumentary format, and directed by Christopher Guest, who's probably most famous for playing Nigel Tufnel in the aformentioned film, and who here puts in a wonderfully eccentric performance as aspiring director Corky St. Clair, it tells the frequently quite pitiful but always hilarious story of a team of local amatuers' efforts to stage a musical named "Red, White and Blaine", celebrating the 150th year of their small town's (frankly quite embarrassing) history. The big bright hope being that renowned Broadway producer Mort Guffman has agreed to attend, to assess whether or not their production might be cut out for bigger and better things (and if, like me, you're at all familiar with the works of Samuel Beckett, the film's title will no doubt have alarm bells ringing already).

It doesn't quite match up to Spinal Tap, but it's still a brilliantly entertaining film which hits all the right notes for a successful mockumentary of this nature - the thick, juicy layer of understatement, the enjoyably artless characters who reveal far more about their personal weaknesses than they intend, aided by an array of slick performances which bubble deliciously with both naivety and obnoxiousness throughout. There's a lot of cringing to be had for sure, but it's all so fabulously funny. Now I really need to see Best in Show. Oh, and I really want one of them Remains of the Day lunch boxes too - I wonder if I can get one custom made somewhere...

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 09-09-2008 at 09:05 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #1654
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Weird or what? The version I saw was a special showing featuring restored footage, mosty of which had been re-dubbed probably recently as there was no way that was Lee Van Cleef. They were a treat but just finally seeing this movie on the big screen finally was a truly great experience, especially the very early sequences when Angel Eyes' face is enormous and terrifying.

The extra scenes also add to something that cowboy comedian & critic Rich Hall pointed out(as well as the whopping historical errors), which seems to be the key comment this film makes. 'The Good' is both bad and ugly and not much better than 'Bad' Angel eyes. He's completely mercenary and his one outright good act is an act of compassion to a dying young soldier. However Angel Eyes too in a restored scene seems to show a little genuine compassion for the wounded and exhausted soldiers he encounters ( before he starts up his torture room in the POW camp) and even 'Ugly' Tuco betrays some confusion and distress at the wounded in his brother's monastary. He's also a very beautiful character indeed, it was great to see a cinema audience amused by his blunt one-liners.

Most of all I loved the music, as I always have. It wasn't quite loud enough for me but then I've probably defeaned myself listening to Morricone's amazing scores on No.11 over the years

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #1655
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Teeth

Wow....that is all I can say about this movie.....wow. For those of you brave enough to look up this movie title (since there's no WAY I can actually say what its about), I have to tell you this is one of the most bizarre, shocking, interesting and freaky movies I've seen in a long time.

This movie is tense, beautifully acted, beautifully cast, yet hauntingly dark, extremely twisted and a tad on the sicko side. This movie is a prime example of originality turned into shock value and yet, still working as a movie. Its a great movie to see at least once (if your brave enough) because its quite an experience let me tell you.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #1656
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Frank Miller's Sin City

Still an awesome comic book movie done by Mr. Robert Rodriguez!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #1657
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

The Great Mouse Detective
One of Disney's lesser known movies, but a great one if you ask me. A take on Sherlock Holmes, but mouse sized. Funny, heartwarming, and I just love the music!

The Rescuers Down Under
Another of Disney's lesser known movies, and a sequel at that. I personally like this one better than the original, I find it funnier, and I just love watching this giant eagle and the little boy be friends, and soar through the air together. I'll always remember the first time I saw this movie. I was in ninth grade I believe, and some friends of mine held a slumber party in a vacant house next door to theirs (their mother had a key somehow). We moved a TV and VCR from their house over to the vacant one, loaded a cooler with food, and laid our sleeping bags on the wide open living room floor for a night full of fun, four friends and I having an entire empty house to ourselves. One of the best memories of my life. So whenever I've seen this movie since then, I remember that night.

Uptown Girls
Dakota Fanning was cute when she was little, and she's always been a good little actress. But I've always been a big fan of Brittany Murphey. Sad, touching, funny in parts, with a great feel good ending. Yeah, it's probably a "chick flick", but so what? I'm a chick, and I like it!
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:36 AM   #1658
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Bear

A simple but extremely touching and beautiful fable from French director Jean-Jacques Annaud, who later went on to direct the more recent Two Brothers, and who here demonstrates both his strong visual flair and his ability to enchant your heart out with minimal dialogue and lots of wonderful animal photography. The story in question follows the adventures of an orphaned bear cub with a slightly psychedelic imagination (there are some actually rather skin-crawling dream sequences therein, mostly involving stop-motion frogs and mushrooms), who befriends a wounded adult grizzly and later finds himself in the hands of a group of hunters who hope to use him as a means of bagging the adult. The film does a splendid job of convincing you to empathise with the four-legged protagonists without ever having to put words into their mouths, and the human characters, though they haven't a chance of stealing the show, do get their fair share of depth and vulnerability too, which makes it feel nicely balanced. Gentle, powerful, magnificent and understated, it's an excellent choice for anyone with an appreciation for wildlife and nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
The Rescuers Down Under
Another of Disney's lesser known movies, and a sequel at that. I personally like this one better than the original, I find it funnier, and I just love watching this giant eagle and the little boy be friends, and soar through the air together. I'll always remember the first time I saw this movie. I was in ninth grade I believe, and some friends of mine held a slumber party in a vacant house next door to theirs (their mother had a key somehow). We moved a TV and VCR from their house over to the vacant one, loaded a cooler with food, and laid our sleeping bags on the wide open living room floor for a night full of fun, four friends and I having an entire empty house to ourselves. One of the best memories of my life. So whenever I've seen this movie since then, I remember that night.
It was actually Disney's first ever sequel to one of their animated classics (loooong before their descension into DTV cheapquel hell, the least said of which the better), and the only one which I reckon holds up at all well when compared to the original. I was six years old when it came out at our local cinema, and I can still recall the immense excitement I felt when going to see it. In fact, I remember getting these Rescuers Down Under stickers at the time which I don't believe I actually used, since I enjoyed looking at them so much and didn't want them to get damaged or grubby. They're still around here somewhere, I'm sure.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 09-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #1659
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
The Great Mouse Detective
One of Disney's lesser known movies, but a great one if you ask me. A take on Sherlock Holmes, but mouse sized. Funny, heartwarming, and I just love the music!
I concur, especially with songs as good as this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTWBgiWtzsc

Reason 101 of 1000 of why Vincent Price was one of the world's greatest actors.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #1660
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Personally GMD is one of my least favourite Disney films (just never cared for it, I'm afraid, despite being a fan of many of their other lesser-known and lesser-acknowledged classics), though I do agree that Vincent Price was properly awesome in it.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 09-16-2008 at 05:53 AM.