Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Foster's Discussion

Notices

Foster's Discussion Discuss general Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends topics here, that don't fit in any other specific category.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #151
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
Put me down in the "I liked it" column, it's kind of fitting that a show that had not one but two episodes about Internet memes (IE World Wide Wabbit and Blootube) would partake in a stunt like this. It proves some one in the Astley, Macy's or Cartoon Network camp did their homework. (Though boo on the announcer for almost spoiling it when he said something like "If they're not careful, the gang could be joined by a surprise musical guest".)

And speaking of which I think that something like this could be more or less the end of Rickrolling, because as World Wide Wabbit taught us. The joke more or less ceases to be funny when the subject of said joke is officially in on it.
I can't disagree with ya there. Love it or not, it was a very interesting move to have Rick Astley appear on the Foster's float.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #152
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Loved the float or hated the float, everyone seems to be talking about it. If I had a nickel for everytime I read something today that went along the lines of "lol America was rick roll'd by the Foster's float!"...well...I'd be rich?

I, personally, thought it was hilarious. My initial reaction was: , then: . I don't know; I think it was pretty epic that we got rick roll'd, by Rick Astley himself, on the Foster's float no less. And the float is getting a lot of publicity because of it. That's always a plus, right?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #153
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

At seeing Astley in the opening credits, I figured the rumor was true. So I expected him to make an appearance. Especially after the announcers kind of gave the "surprise" away. I was just irritated at how they interrupted Bloo's song. Oh well. Despite what people say, I've always liked Rick, so he's cool with me.

Turns out the "rumor" was first leaked out at his fan sight. And from there it spread, no doubt eventually to the point where it was hard to give a reference to the info any more. Again my apologies to IB for not believing him at first.

And here's an interesting article I found.

Quote:
“Our marketing group came up with it,” Cartoon Network spokesman Joe Swaney told me on Thanksgiving. “The Rick Astley song is about friendship, which fit with our characters. We asked if he was available. He liked the idea. We flew him in from England.”

Swaney admits that a good portion of the viewers probably had no idea why Astley was there, but “We figured, let’s let it play out. If anybody picks up on it, that’s great. Besides, there are always celebrities singing on floats. I think it’s hilarious.”
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #154
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Hey that was good. I'm sure Harry Nilsson would have been fine with it too. Now I'd never really liked the song (pretty much identical to ' I should be so lucky' but sung in a deeper voice) but it was definately appropriate on several levels and by all accounts Rick Astley is a really lovely guy who sensibly got out of the fame game before he got bored of it. It was nice to see him again and he doesn't seem to have changed at all in all those years. I take it that's the last time they'll be a Fosters float for the parade? Who gets the big house?

Anyway as much as I enjoyed it I wouldn't be sorry if that's the last I ever hear of Rickrolling. Maybe giving up isn't so bad?

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #155
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
So the whole rickrolling thing really happened then?

*Checks video evidence*

I'm gob-smacked. And I tip my hat to your superior foresight, IB.

At the very least, and as Lynnie already pointed out, the song itself is more-or-less appropriate for Mac and Bloo. Although, to echo yet another of Lynnie's points, having Cheese pop up and say that at the end definitely felt like a step too far.

Very nicely stated jekylljuice! My sentiments exactly on this rickrolling 'thing'.
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #156
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlaz View Post
Very nicely stated jekylljuice! My sentiments exactly on this rickrolling 'thing'.
Thank you, though I fear you may be misreading me. I do actually look quite favourably upon this event myself (Cheese's final proclamation notwithstanding). The "at the very least" in my statement was intended to be of consolation for those who weren't so enthused about it, rather than a reflection of my own feelings, though with hindsight that probably wasn't so obvious. Oh well.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 11-29-2008 at 09:14 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #157
Foster's Geek 287
Settling In
Khones Pwns  

I lol'd. I rickroll my dad all the time.
This proves how epic Foster's is.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #158
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

I accept any apologies.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #159
L.G.
Melvineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo2daMacs View Post
I am a little ticked off about that. I was actually looking forward to a song.
You're not the only one feeling that way. When the 'real' song was interrupted by "Never Gonna Give You Up", my initial reaction was, 'What?? Is this really happening?' Once reality sank in, I was saying to myself, 'Oh no no no. Of all the floats to rickroll, why Foster's?' (even if "Never Gonna Give You Up" was somewhat appropriate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Me, I wasn't disgusted at all. I definitely preferred it to last year's musical performance (which was a case of great choice of song, questionable decision to have Cheese sing the entire thing, for more reasons than one).
Who do you think should have sang "You're My Best Friend?" instead?

Last edited by L.G.; 11-30-2008 at 08:11 PM.
L.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #160
Luminouslolly
Newly Abandoned

I kinda wish it had been a different float that Roll'd us than Foster's, just because I love hearing Bloo sing! It was very epic, though, to be "Foster Rolled" as I like to call it.

Ironically, "Never Gonna Give You Up" will be an obsolete theme for FHFIF considering the title of the last ep....But, *shrugs* only the future will tell....
Luminouslolly is offline   Reply With Quote