Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #151
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
As for falling in love with cartoon characters versus humans, I'm neutral. As far as I'm concerned, true romantic love doesn't really exist, except as a chemical reaction in the brain that fires off, and is used as a code word to "sanitize" what could seem to simply be the uncouth idea of propigation of the species, by convincing people there's such a thing as "romantic" love.
You well may be onto something there, Nathander, but as far as I'm concerned the end-result is very much the same. Certain stimuli (ie: Kip) triggers the release of endorphins to my brain, and it leaves me feeling supremely happy.

Needless to say, there's nothing wrong with that.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #152
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I think that's a rather cold description of something that is so wonderful to experience. That's like saying hugs don't feel good, they are just electrical impulses from your body releasing a physical enzyme that creates warmth or something like that. Its a pretty sterile and kind of "dead" way to view things.

Love is a hard thing to determine or to discover but I feel that is what makes it so much more wonderful once it hits you, the ending result is great enough to withstand any kind of obstacle. As of lately, I believe my feelings in regards to toon crushes has grown and not declined, age really hasn't changed that with me.

Specially after re-watching this anime series of mine, featuring one of the most BEAUTIFUL animated females around, Belldandy. The series is called "Ah! My goddess" and any single episode in this series truly is enough (in my opinion) to make you realize the valuable nature of love and how much stronger it is than vanity.

To make a long story short, the show is about a college guy who karma craps on 24/7, his purity comes through as he is given a wish by a goddess called Belldandy from a hotline designed for those "worthy" and by worthy I mean GOOD, decent people. He wishes for the goddess Belldandy to stay by his side as his girlfriend.

She grants it and the series progresses from there. My point is that show always reminds me how important animation is to my life, and how animated females have inspired me to look towards them whenever I am down. Hell, the shows writing constantly circles back to themes of morals and inner beauty.

There are even these 2 evil, asshole human characters who are vain, sexual, shallow people who constantly try and destroy the purity of the love between the main guy and Belldandy and every time they fail. Like the show says "money, height, and good looks do not EVER measure someone's actual worth".

It may sound like school crap you hear on a kids program, but its the truth and I believe it which I why I believe in love and why I still crush on female toons. They represent such an image that is impossible not to admire at least a little. You don't see them often wasting their lives obsessing over drugs, alcohol, or sex.

They are characters who are the kind of people you want to meet and people to be more like. I can't tell you how disgusting it feels sometimes to think so many people base entire judgments or perceptions on you simply because of the size of your wallet or whether your a "McLovin" or not. I don't think toon crushes are wrong in anyway.

They are no different then the athletes or heroes we idolize and admire, they represent something we want to strive for and what others could learn a thing or two from. And if anyone honestly says toons can't be considered attractive or sexy, all I simply ask is "Have you seen Roger Rabbit?" and that's enough said.

If toons couldn't be construed as attractive, Jessica Rabbit would not have been drawn that way neither would Lola Bunny, Foxxy Love, or half the females in the Justice League: Unlimited TV show. Attraction in animation exists and its quite noticeable, just because a girl (or guy) is ink and paper doesn't mean they can't make your heart skip a beat now does it?
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #153
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Once again, you have written a classic. And truly, this sounds like a series that I need to experience.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #154
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Once again, you have written a classic. And truly, this sounds like a series that I need to experience.
Wow I have classics heh just playing I do appreciate that and I really would recommend this series to anyone who is feeling down in the dumps about finding "that special someone" or just someone who feels being a nice guy (or girl) doesn't cut the mustard in today's modern world.

If you feel that way, this series is DEFINITELY for you. The relationship between the characters is so pure and loving, it makes you want to be in the show itself just to experience it. It really emphasizes how important it is to be "morally worth something" rather then physically beautiful or loaded with cash or muscles.

Those things are not what are important in life and trust me, loneliness is nothing compared to the pain of living a lie with someone you do not love or loves you for the wrong reasons. This show is another example of why I love TV/movies so much, I learned almost everything i know from anime, cartoons, movies etc.

And I don't regret a SINGLE second of it. I've learned so much I feel I would not be who I am today if it wasn't for the shows and movies I have seen (and of course) the wonderful toon crushes who inspired me to keep looking for Mrs. Right as they say. I think you'd love the show Cass.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #155
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Heartfelt and eloquent as ever, Mr. Marshmallow, though I couldn't help but chuckle when I first saw this particular sentence:

Quote:
And if anyone honestly says toons can't be considered attractive or sexy, all I simply ask is "Have you seen Roger Rabbit?" and that's enough said.
Now, I know you meant the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as opposed to the CHARACTER Roger Rabbit, but dammit... you know, newspapers and magazines get sued for millions for taking quotes out of context, but how can you expect them to resist doing something so fun?
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #156
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchy McAbandonpants View Post
Now, I know you meant the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as opposed to the CHARACTER Roger Rabbit, but dammit... you know, newspapers and magazines get sued for millions for taking quotes out of context, but how can you expect them to resist doing something so fun?
Good to know you got the reference either way, hey I just figured if Bob Hoskins can jaw drop at the sight of Jessica Rabbit, I'm sure there were quite a few people in the movie theaters who did the exact same thing.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #157
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
Specially after re-watching this anime series of mine, featuring one of the most BEAUTIFUL animated females around, Belldandy. The series is called "Ah! My goddess" and any single episode in this series truly is enough (in my opinion) to make you realize the valuable nature of love and how much stronger it is than vanity.

To make a long story short, the show is about a college guy who karma craps on 24/7, his purity comes through as he is given a wish by a goddess called Belldandy from a hotline designed for those "worthy" and by worthy I mean GOOD, decent people. He wishes for the goddess Belldandy to stay by his side as his girlfriend.

She grants it and the series progresses from there. My point is that show always reminds me how important animation is to my life, and how animated females have inspired me to look towards them whenever I am down. Hell, the shows writing constantly circles back to themes of morals and inner beauty.

There are even these 2 evil, asshole human characters who are vain, sexual, shallow people who constantly try and destroy the purity of the love between the main guy and Belldandy and every time they fail. Like the show says "money, height, and good looks do not EVER measure someone's actual worth".
oh dude...thats a show? I'm familiar with the comic and the movie but i didn't know it was a series...cool. I used to read the comic, i was a huge fan of Belldandy and her older sister. What was her name? Skuld or Urd? I remember their names were supposed to be based off of the three Norns in Norse mythology, and there was a lot of Germanic mythological themes in the comica. It was good. I might need to watch them.

Cass i think you'd love it, if the comic was any indication.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #158
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
oh dude...thats a show? I'm familiar with the comic and the movie but i didn't know it was a series...cool. I used to read the comic, i was a huge fan of Belldandy and her older sister. What was her name? Skuld or Urd? I remember their names were supposed to be based off of the three Norns in Norse mythology, and there was a lot of Germanic mythological themes in the comica.
That's where the movie came from. Belldandy is the middle child of 2 sisters, also goddesses. The eldest is Urd and the youngest is Skuld, both of them come down to Earth after Belldandy is wished to be at the main character's side (his name is Keichii Morisato).

There are approximately 4 versions of the Goddess show. The movie, a 6 episode OVA short series (which is the first animated form of Goddess), the series I saw (TV series) which is pretty new, and a comedic show called "Adventures of Mini Goddesses". Which is a toony, comedic spin off of sorts.

It has NOTHING to do with any of the other shows or the characters except for the goddesses and its about chibi versions of the goddess girls helping out a rat that lives in the house. Its a very weird little series. There is a sequel to the current TV series I own, and like i said I highly recommend it to all.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #159
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

i'll have to check them out.

thanks for reminding me of this series, dude
Old 12-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #160
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
I think that's a rather cold description of something that is so wonderful to experience. That's like saying hugs don't feel good, they are just electrical impulses from your body releasing a physical enzyme that creates warmth or something like that. Its a pretty sterile and kind of "dead" way to view things.
I agree completely. Unfortunately, my agreement with you on this doesn't stop me from believing in my idea of it wholeheartedly. After my own experiences with romantic love, and my faith in science and scientific explanation as one of the three tools I live my life around, I'd rather not deal with it ever again.

Quote:
Love is a hard thing to determine or to discover but I feel that is what makes it so much more wonderful once it hits you, the ending result is great enough to withstand any kind of obstacle.
I've been in love before, or at least had felt myself to have been in such, for a relationship that lasted three years. After it ultimately ended, which occurred, granted, as my own damn fault, I have an especially bitter opinion about romantic love. It is my own honestly belief that I had found the one person I would ever love, and ultimately due to the pressure I was under at the time, I allowed her to leave me. It's a partially hypocritical view, but after experiencing love I simply no longer trust my emotions as having any merit.

Not to say, of course, that your emotions aren't really. To you, they're very much so; I simply choose to distance myself from them, and from developing most kinds of relationships with other people, as much as I can. Something can easily be very real to one person, and false to another.

Quote:
If toons couldn't be construed as attractive, Jessica Rabbit would not have been drawn that way neither would Lola Bunny, Foxxy Love, or half the females in the Justice League: Unlimited TV show. Attraction in animation exists and its quite noticeable, just because a girl (or guy) is ink and paper doesn't mean they can't make your heart skip a beat now does it?
Have you ever watched/read an anime/manga called Genshiken? There's a conversation between two people, where one character questions how anyone could possibly find a cartoon character attractive. The other basically answers that the human mind is accustomed to finding familiarity and specific things in images, and thus it would be odd for a person not to understand how it would be possible for someone to find a drawn picture attractive, due to the fact that its a simple function of the human mind to find such familiarity with any form of visual aid.

I guess I'm just putting this out there because your remark reminded me of that scene.

On another note, I've never gotten to see "Oh My Goddess!" in any form, and thus suppose I should.

And going back to my hypocrisy, I do tend to harbor crushes on some cartoon characters despite my otherwise bleak image of romantic love. Though I seem to have fairly different views then a lot of the guys here, as I tend to prefer the female characters who are "take charge and take no crap" personalities then the sweet, silent cheerleader type girls. That's not to say I'm not sweet on some of the quiet, shy girls, though some of them are odd versions of that archetype (the main one being Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh). My other main crush/infatuation is Heinkel Wulfe from Hellsing, who falls more squarely under the "take charge" archetype.

Edit: Also under the take charges one would be Gaz Membrane from Invader Zim, who I harbored a crush on when I was younger and have a soft spot for still.

Last edited by Nathander; 12-09-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Nathander is offline   Reply With Quote