Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 07-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #1431
L.G.
Melvineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
may i suggest maneuvering around them? They do have multiple lanes for a reason, you know.
I do overtake them on the right but only if I feel I can do so safely. Part of the problem is that the interstate I take to work only has 2 lanes per direction. Sometimes, people won't move over to the slow lane even though there's a decent gap between cars, and it's usually safer if they change lanes instead of me having to overtake them on their right.
L.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #1432
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.G. View Post
I do overtake them on the right but only if I feel I can do so safely. Part of the problem is that the interstate I take to work only has 2 lanes per direction. Sometimes, people won't move over to the slow lane even though there's a decent gap between cars, and it's usually safer if they change lanes instead of me having to overtake them on their right.
that sucks dude

my pet peeve? my buddy lights up a cigarette while i'm pumping gas... uh, hello? Then he says, "don't worry, this stuff is impossible to light accidentaly."

Like hell! We had doused soaking wet wood in gas and torched it with one match literally two weeks earlier!

guy is one can short of a 6-pack

EDIT that fire burned for a solid 4 hours, too. Gas isn't flammable... what a moron

Last edited by Partymember; 07-04-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Partymember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #1433
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

anyone know about them popping things? the ones where you pull on a string and papery string flies out? the kind that says "shoot away from you or anybody near you"?

my brother put one in my face a few hours ago. it stung ALOT. every day my brother makes me think he hates me more and more.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #1434
L.G.
Melvineer

SUVs: they are abysmal .

A. You're lucky to get fuel economy in double digits in those jumbo ones.
B. They look like either tall station wagons or a truck with a fixed roof over where the cargo bed would be.
C. If the only reason you want an SUV is to get 4WD or AWD, there are now cars that are available with AWD that aren't luxury cars.
D. A minivan has more interior space than an SUV for the same size externally.
E. Does anyone in an SUV actually go off-road at all??
F. About as nimble as a bloated elephant.
G. Can't see around these behemoths!

I feel like I'm in the minority opinion, but oh well.

Last edited by L.G.; 07-04-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Remembered another reason
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #1435
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy you dont know View Post
anyone know about them popping things? the ones where you pull on a string and papery string flies out? the kind that says "shoot away from you or anybody near you"?

my brother put one in my face a few hours ago. it stung ALOT. every day my brother makes me think he hates me more and more.
ouch ever get a match head burned into your thumb? Happened to me last year, the first (and so far, only) time it's happened. Half the match head broke off as i was lighting a candle for dinner and it stuck into my skin as it flared up...The sulfur kind of just smolders there after it dies down... i had a black spot on my thumb for months afterwards

oh gee, fun times
Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #1436
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

ow. not a match, no. but i did (back around when i was 6 or 7) hold a burning sparkler, as well as stepped on one too. not as bad as the match thing though. although that does remind me of a time a while back when i got a staple stuck in my thumb.

wow, the 4th does seem to bring alot of annual pain for some reason.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #1437
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

dang man... i think stepping on a sparkler would be decidedly more painful than a match/thumb/burn thingie i always try to remember Nietzche's "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" when i get myself scraped/burned/cut/bruised up... helps stop me from crying like a little kid when i drop a kayak on my foot at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.G. View Post
SUVs: they are abysmal .

A. You're lucky to get fuel economy in double digits in those jumbo ones.
B. They look like either tall station wagons or a truck with a fixed roof over where the cargo bed would be.
C. If the only reason you want an SUV is to get 4WD or AWD, there are now cars that are available with AWD that aren't luxury cars.
D. A minivan has more interior space than an SUV for the same size externally.
E. Does anyone in an SUV actually go off-road at all??
F. About as nimble as a bloated elephant.
G. Can't see around these behemoths!

I feel like I'm in the minority opinion, but oh well.
they're not that bad, my dad got a great deal on a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Luxury edition... under $2,000 and it runs GREAT, new tires, heated leather seats, Air Conditioning, power windows power mirrors, etc...

lessee here:

A) i get 17 highway, about 14 on the rural roads
B) she's just a shorter version of the Suburban, no third row of seats... they actually look pretty nice, hard to tell one from a newer Suburban unless ya get real close, its only like a 2-foot difference overall between the two vehicles
C) this beast has 4 different modes of 4WD... its almost impossible to get stuck somewhere
D) looks a HECKUVA lot cooler than a minivan, and doesn't smell like soccer cleats and Dorritos
E) i've taken it down some very questionable roads... as in, "is this even a road?". Gone up pretty steep grades "paved" with loose gravel, no problem at all, drop her in 3rd and ease on the accelerator
F) this thing actually rides nice and steers tight enough for most situations
G) yeah, but having driven cars and tiny SUV's my whole life i gotta say it is a breath of fresh air getting a little elevation, it really makes a difference in cities and stuff, you sit up so high you've got an awesome vantage point, great field of view. I don't ever want to switch back to driving a low-riding vehicle, the height really makes a difference when you're in traffic, it just lets you see EVERYTHING thats going on in the road. Much safer than if you're in a car, i think.

but this thing is an above-average truck... i dislike normal SUV's for the same reasons you do... The Tahoe, though? Beautiful vehicle. Absolutely incredible, well worth the lower mileage to drive a nice SUV than to drive a car, IMHO

wow... long post

Last edited by Partymember; 07-04-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling, etc.
Partymember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #1438
Jackie Khones
Settling In

Gotta tie it to the bed post first  

Send a message via AIM to Jackie Khones Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Khones

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy you dont know View Post

Ouch, i hope you're ok
Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #1439
L.G.
Melvineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
they're [SUVs] not that bad, my dad got a great deal on a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Luxury edition... under $2,000 and it runs GREAT, new tires, heated leather seats, Air Conditioning, power windows power mirrors, etc...

lessee here:

A) i get 17 highway, about 14 on the rural roads
B) she's just a shorter version of the Suburban, no third row of seats... they actually look pretty nice, hard to tell one from a newer Suburban unless ya get real close, its only like a 2-foot difference overall between the two vehicles
C) this beast has 4 different modes of 4WD... its almost impossible to get stuck somewhere
D) looks a HECKUVA lot cooler than a minivan, and doesn't smell like soccer cleats and Dorritos
E) i've taken it down some very questionable roads... as in, "is this even a road?". Gone up pretty steep grades "paved" with loose gravel, no problem at all, drop her in 3rd and ease on the accelerator
F) this thing actually rides nice and steers tight enough for most situations
G) yeah, but having driven cars and tiny SUV's my whole life i gotta say it is a breath of fresh air getting a little elevation, it really makes a difference in cities and stuff, you sit up so high you've got an awesome vantage point, great field of view. I don't ever want to switch back to driving a low-riding vehicle, the height really makes a difference when you're in traffic, it just lets you see EVERYTHING thats going on in the road. Much safer than if you're in a car, i think.

but this thing is an above-average truck... i dislike normal SUV's for the same reasons you do... The Tahoe, though? Beautiful vehicle. Absolutely incredible, well worth the lower mileage to drive a nice SUV than to drive a car, IMHO

wow... long post
My previous rant was directed to the general public: of course there a few people (such as yourself) that will use SUVs to their full potential and I don't have a problem with that.

However, it's when people buy SUVs just to be hip or to avoid the "dreaded minivan" that I get agitated. The soccer mom image now applies to SUVs too...if not more so. If someone wants an SUV with 4WD for all-weather purposes, there are affordable alternatives. And while gas mileage has improved among SUVs, cars still get better due to lower curb weights, better aerodynamics, and don't require a big engine to keep up with traffic. In emergency situations, I'm not sure if a bigger SUV can change directions so quickly without resulting in a rollover.

And please realize that this rant is coming from a guy who will never go off-road, is happy with FWD or RWD, and has never liked driving big vehicles.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #1440
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

People who "whoosh" past me on the road like gas is still $2.25 a gallon. I am a proud Prius owner.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote