Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #1411
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

I think it's best not to bring up specific political leaders here, as to who ticks you off, since you could cause some fireworks here. So watch it.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+

Last edited by pitbulllady; 06-25-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Quoted inapropriate content from other post
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #1412
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Today while leaving work, I was already clocked out and had taken my uniform jersey off (I had a tee on underneath), and had just retrieved my things from my locker. With my purse, my water bottle, my keys, and my jersey rolled up into a ball of fabric, a patron stopped me and asked "Do you work here?" Ok lady, how on earth can you tell that I work here? Do you recognize me, and saw me before I clocked out? Or did you actually guess that this ball of fabric I have in my hand is my uniform top? I dunno..., whatever. I admitted to her that I did but was off for the day, however I'd be happy to answer a question.

-So she asked me if we carried a certain brand of dog food. I apologized and said "No", but I told her about one that's very similar. But of course that wasn't good enough for her because this brand is the "only one" her dog will ever eat! She made the comment that none of our stores seem to carry it. I told her that our company doesn't carry that brand at all as of yet, so none of our stores are going to have it. She told me that we need to start carrying it (as if I have any control over that), and I told her that we've gotten many requests and have sent them onto corporate. It would be corporate's decision to start carrying any certain brand of dog food, not the individual stores'. And we've gotten enough requests for it that certainly corporate will look into it, if they aren't already.

-So she asked me if we had any samples of food so she could try different ones and see if her dog liked any of them. I told her that sometimes we do when a certain brand is having a promotion, but there aren't any promotions going on right now so we didn't have any samples at the moment. She told me that was dumb. I explained that it's the vendors who bring the samples, the store has nothing to do with it, so we have no control over that either. She went onto say that "Ya know, this is the problem with your company..." blah blah blah gibberish and blah. I showed her the brand that was similar to the one she was wanting, and she starting ranting about the price, and how ridiculous it was and "Who has the money for something like that? I sure don't!" And she went on about how "broke" she is, and she started really hitting a nerve.

For one thing, this brand she was wanting? It's a new high quality brand so far only availible at "boutique" type pet stores, where prices would shock everyone but celebrities. And for a second thing, she was basically accusing me of being "stuck up" for thinking high prices are ok. Well, I'm flattered you think I'm so rich lady, but at the same time, you have NO IDEA what I've been going through financially over the last few months! I could feel myself losing my cool and so I interrupted her and said "I know the prices are high, it's hurting me as much as it is everyone else. I wish there was something I could do about it, but there's nothing I can do. I showed you what we have and explained why. There's nothing more I can do to help you, I'm sorry", and I started walking away before I got over heated. She sensed my mood, and apologized for "dumping" on me, and admitted she realized it was no where near my fault for all this. She told me to enjoy the rest of the day off. I thanked her and left. Well, at least she was nice in the end. Apology accepted, I suppose.

But what really ticks me off? As I stated in the beginning, I dealt with all this off the clock.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #1413
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

when i spend forever trying to do something in a game, and just cant do it. it always seems impossible to me. its worse when i look up some strategies to do it and none of them work (or i cant get them to work.) it just puts me in a bad mood (ex: randomly going off at people that even try to tell me that i should calm down, when i know they are right, but i cant.) worst part is that i have that instinct where i have to complete it before i can do anything else, so it just gets worse and worse until i finally give up after a while. not a fun experience at all. :l
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #1414
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

People who state their opinions as facts and just take a big fat steaming **** on your views and don;t give you the time of day, the decency, or common courtesy to treat you as a respected individual. Like my brother, I am so freaking sick of his CRAP! He bashes what I believe in and states everything as a fact.

He doesn't let my opinion exist without me feeling guilty about it because my opinion apparently is less trust worthy then "a mental person with a gun". I cannot even begin to describe how utterly aggravating it is to try talking reasonably with a person who treats your beliefs like the lowest form of filth.

Its frustrating and insulting to have to deal with someone who feels its acceptable to be indecent and the only way to respond to it is to "suck it up" as he puts it.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #1415
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
People who state their opinions as facts and just take a big fat steaming **** on your views and don;t give you the time of day, the decency, or common courtesy to treat you as a respected individual. Like my brother, I am so freaking sick of his CRAP! He bashes what I believe in and states everything as a fact.

He doesn't let my opinion exist without me feeling guilty about it because my opinion apparently is less trust worthy then "a mental person with a gun". I cannot even begin to describe how utterly aggravating it is to try talking reasonably with a person who treats your beliefs like the lowest form of filth.

Its frustrating and insulting to have to deal with someone who feels its acceptable to be indecent and the only way to respond to it is to "suck it up" as he puts it.

Some things are important enough to fight for (which is why this forum does not allow religious or political discussions for a good reason), and other things are about as important as ice cream flavor preferences. A little while ago, I was observing a heated internet "discussion" concerning the latter, and I made the mistake of telling people that, since it was not an important issue, why not calm down, agree to disagree, and discuss it in terms of opinions?

The very next poster promptly called me "The same as Hitler!"

I was compared to Hitler for saying "let's all just get along."

There is something hilarious about that.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #1416
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post

This is pretty much an unavoidable happenstance, as pretty much EVERYONE has, at some point done it in their life. God knows I've done it, your brother has apparently done it, and I'm willing to bet that, at some point, you've done it. This doesn't necessarily make it right, but it's a pretty much inevitable.

That doesn't mean you have to take it from him, but I'm saying that, while it is indeed something that SHOULD tick you off, it's unlikely it'll ever change due to basic human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridureyu

This is suspicious. After all, how do we know you AREN'T Hitler, Rid? You're someone we know over the internet. Maybe you ARE Hitler, or at least his brain, floating in a jar full of translucent liquid with a port to the internet connected to it.

So, to be frank Rid....ARE you Hitler?

Anyway, as for things that annoy me, one is people who constantly quote Nietzsche after having just heard of him and read some of his work. Now, I'm guilty as sin of this when I first started reading him, but as I've grown I've learned not to, as it's incalculably hard for ANYONE to be very certain as to what Nietzsche actually meant with what he said. However, despite knowing this, it irritates me when people quote him nonstop and without really caring what he meant, but simply to attempt to sound like an intellectual.

As if simply quoting someone or stating you adhere to one belief system or the other somehow makes you a higher human being.

I have the same problems with people who quote Ayn Rand, but unlike Nietzsche, I had genuine problems with Rand herself, which I won't go into due to the rules of the forum.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #1417
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Incurring huge bank charges because a lazy useless housing association I work for can't get itself together to pay its contracters in time. If anyone knows what the 'death-valley curve' is in relation to small business finance do they know a way out of it? This is looking terminal and to be frank I'd rather be in a pine box than get on my knees again and say 'yes sir, bloody, no sir' to some boss. In my experience, it's the hierarchies within the workplace that prevent organisations doing what they're supposed to do as managers feel more secure in their positions when surrounded by yes-men. That and short-term cost-cutting of course. Maybe it's only in this country, I'm not sure, but manufacturers are increasingly turning out shoddy goods, finance offices leach money, hospitals make people ill and the police won't enter high-crime areas. People look to the government for leadership but they've long since lost any real power over events as evinced by the ridiculous sight of Ministers protesting against post-office closures.

Wow. I could really go on and on. I must be really tense.Better go for a walk or something. Anyone know a way of feeling better that doesn't make things ultimately worse?

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #1418
CrazyPhil
Settling In

Ride 'em cowboy.  

Oh, I've got a good one.

So I finally got my first car back in February, which of course made me really happy, though actually driving is still something I'm getting used to.

Anyway, when I got the car my dad decided to switch our auto insurance policy to cover all of our vehicles. Now, the only problem is that our old insurance provider has spent the last several months constantly pestering us about how our policy with them is expiring!

We know that already!

Now if it was just once or twice I wouldn't care, but they've contacted us over a dozen times now saying the same thing! By mail, phone, even e-mail.

Oh, yeah, to make things even better, they somehow managed to get ahold of our cell phone numbers, so now even my phone's gotten spammed by them 3 times. And the last one was at 6am on a Saturday! I gotta tell you that they're really lucky that it's always a recording, cause if it was actually someone, I would have had a few choice words for them!

Anyway, that's the thing that's been really getting under mine and my parents' skin recently. A reminder's one thing but this is bordering on harrassment!
Eduardo: "I like voting."

HIM-Best.Band.Ever.

Last edited by CrazyPhil; 06-29-2008 at 03:23 PM.
CrazyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #1419
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
Some things are important enough to fight for (which is why this forum does not allow religious or political discussions for a good reason), and other things are about as important as ice cream flavor preferences. A little while ago, I was observing a heated internet "discussion" concerning the latter, and I made the mistake of telling people that, since it was not an important issue, why not calm down, agree to disagree, and discuss it in terms of opinions?

There is something hilarious about that.
You're saying the discussion was about politics, right? Not ice cream? The ice cream was just a simile? Please let it be a simile. Maybe I shouldn't be reading at 2 AM.

Last edited by kageri; 06-30-2008 at 10:07 PM.
kageri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #1420
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

my sister doesnt seem to understand that she isnt the only one who wants to use the DS (we only got one :l)

i havent played anything on it since friday. i really need my pokemon fix right now.