Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #1411
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

"Letters From Iwo Jima"

i guess we now know why the Japanese lost the war. They kept killing themselves. Bad strategy
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #1412
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Conversations With Other Women

Such a smart, highly creative film. It never got the attention it deserved. The split screen is sometimes hard to watch because you're sort of watching two things at once, and the plot is very simple, yet...not. I believe those two things make it the unique movie it is, if that makes sense.

Plus Helena Bonham Carter is simply an amazing actress.

Last edited by Imaginary Light; 03-30-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Imaginary Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #1413
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Caiman

More brilliance from Nanni Moretti, an Italian film-maker whose films I discovered in early 2007 and who's never ceased to enrapture me since. This one deals with the exploits of a very different kind of Italian film-maker, Bruno Bonomo, a once-successful producer of trashy action flicks (all of which starred his wife, Paola), whose career - and personal life - went down the tubes ten years ago, and who stumbles across a potential opportunity to revive his career by assisting a budding young screenwriter with the production of a movie about controversial political figure Silvio Berlusconi. Nanni Moretti himself only plays a small role in this one, and to some extent I did miss his charming onscreen presence throughout, but I did feel that Silvio Orlando gave a fine performance as Bruno nonetheless, and the script and direction were as witty, wry and wonderful, not to mention deliciously understated, as anything else in Nanni's catalogue. Great stuff.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #1414
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I had never seen any of the Indiana movies before, and with the Kingdom of the Crystal skull rapidly approaching, I wanted to be able to see them to get more "well equipped" for the new film. Luckily my friend had all 3 movies and showed them all to me and I have to say, its a fan-freakingtastic movie series.

The first movie is easily my favorite, with this 3rd one being a close second. I had no idea this movie was THAT funny and well made, the dialog was great and the interaction with Connery as Daddy Jones was priceless stuff. I'm happy to hear sexy Miriam Ravenwood (Karen Allen) is making a come back for number 4.

I thought she was the best girl of all Jones movies in terms of acting, personality, character, and appearance. Very happy I got to see this film series, very happy.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #1415
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Inland Empire

Whoa...it's kind of strange, but for a film so abundent in imagery and thematics, I can't really think of very much to say about it right now. I guess it's going to take me a little longer and at least another viewing before I'm able to really articulate some thoughts upon it. I love David Lynch's films, and while this one certainly wasn't his shortest, nor his easiest to comprehend (which certainly says something), it was still as ripe with unnerving, skin-crawling delights as you would hope, with a couple of genuinely emotional sequences into the bargain.

My favourite scenes were those involving these eerie anthropomorphic bunnies who seem to inhabit some kind of nightmarish sitcom, wherein a laugh track responds to their various cryptic, vaguely threatening remarks. These were actually derived from a mini-series made by Mr. Lynch (entitled Rabbits), which was apparently available on his official website a few years ago, which I sadly missed out upon, but now really, really want to see in its entirety.

Oh yes, and I had to love that ending. I don't think we've ever had a David Lynch film conclude in quite that manner before. Delightful.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 04-08-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #1416
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Dang, I've wanted to see Inland Empire, but I haven't gotten the chance.

Anyway, last film I saw was Night of the Creeps. Fantastic, fantastic 80s horror-comedy made by Ted Dekker, the writer and director of the movie Monster Squad, another classic horror-comedy from the same period. NotC served as inspiration to the more recent film Slither, though I find NotC to be a far better film, especially for Tom Atkins' role as Detective Ray Cameron.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #1417
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Rabbits

Hurrah! After a little rooting around the internet, I was finally able to find a place that still hosted this, in this case as a single block as opposed to a series of short films. As mentioned in my previous post, Rabbits was first brought to my attention by the usage of a few small scenes in Inland Empire (which I'd definitely recommend, Nathander - I'd also been wanting to see it for a while, since they never screened it at my local cinema, and it was on my rental list for a bit before they sent it - I am planning to buy the DVD some time in the future, when the price is right).

As also mentioned above (and pictured below), the film revolves around a trio of anthropomorphic rabbits - Jack, Jane and Suzie - who inhabit a sinister sitcom-esque environment. Whenever one of them enters the room, applause is heard, and a laugh track plays at various points throughout, despite there being nothing at all comedic within their verbal exchanges, which are deeply foreboding and jumbled all over, so that whenever one of the rabbits speaks, it rarely pertains to what has just been said. Occasionally, one of the rabbits will stand before the audience and recite some kind of incomprehensible monologue, or they'll engage in what appears to be a kind of ritual, complete with burning torches.

Indeed, it's a very novel concept and, I felt, used to really great, chilling effect. Can't say I have much of a clue right now as to what any of it's supposed to mean (it is David Lynch, after all), but it genuinely enraptured me, and the fearful, disconcerting little atmosphere it generated was beautifully sustained throughout, with a couple of moments that even made me jump. I can only hope that they'll consider giving this a proper DVD release of its own some time in the future.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #1418
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Nim's Island

It was a great film, much better than I expected. Jodie Foster shows she still has some comic talant left in her and both Gerard and Abigail were really great to watch. Overall, a funny film and the animals were great as well.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #1419
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

"No Such Thing"

pretty brilliant
Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #1420
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Wow, I haven't posted in this thread in a while...

Father of the Bride, followed by Father of the Bride II

I first saw the first one in high school. It made a bunch of the girls cry. "I ain't ever gonna' do that to my daddy!!" Yes, it was a touching scene. After the movie ended.

And yet, most of them did a few years later.

Anyway, I've seen II so many more times than I've seen the first one. And I don't think I've ever seen them right after the other. I enjoy them immensely, Steve Martin and Martin Short are so funny on their own. Put them together and it's a riot!
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote