Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #1391
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Doomsday

So much more to it then the trailers make it look. Its much more then a simply Mad Max copy cat or anything like that, dark, depressing story with INSANE amounts of gore and intense action. The action NEVER EVER lets up.

Every minute its like bam, bam, bam! Keeps hitting you. I was very impressed, the commercials don't do this movie justice, it was a great ride.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #1392
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

glad to hear it bro, i've been looking forward to Doomsday.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #1393
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Mountains of the Moon

I guess that it would probably sound a trifle shallow if I admitted that the primary reason I was drawn to watch this dramatisation of the friendship/rivallry shared by Richard Burton and John Hanning Speke and their merry little quest to root out the source of the Nile River was for Richard E. Grant's involvement. Well, I've always enjoyed seeing that man in action. He didn't exactly have a huge role here, disappearing once the focal expedition gets underway, though he does show up again toward the end. Fortunately, there was a lot of beautifully picturesque photography of central Africa throughout to keep me engrossed throughout, and the story was a reasonably entertaining one. Plus, it taught me a valuable lesson - beetles, eardrums and burning wax are a lethal combination.

I've also been enjoying the Michael Caine season on Sky Classics of late. I watched The Ipcress File last night, and right now I'm watching the original Italian Job, which is one of my favourites.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #1394
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bloo_Veins View Post
Lord of The Flies.

in English class
the 60's version or the 90's version?

trust me, the 60's version is WAY better.

monty python and the holy grail

watching it while i was on the ride home, and i love the movie a lot.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #1395
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Awake

This was really good. It stars Hayden Christiansen (I know I butchered the spelling. Sorry...) and is about a guy who's getting a heart transplant and he's stuck in a phenomenon called "anestethia awareness" where his body is totally paralyzed, but he's fully aware of his surroundings and what people are saying, etc. I really enjoyed watching the surgery end of it-- I'm sitting my friend's couch EATING SPAGHETTI watching them cut into this guy's chest with all the blood and whatnot and going, "Cool!" <Takes bites of spaghetti>

But yes, I enjoyed this movie immensely.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #1396
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Dot and the Kangaroo

This has to be quite possibly one of the saddest and most haunting animated films that I've ever seen. Really, if I'd stumbled across this fifteen years ago or more, I supsect that I'd have had a very hard time handling it. Unfortunately, the video transference upon the disc I was watching it on wasn't brilliant, so I don't think I got full benefit of all those subtlely-sketched natural backgrounds, which included some input from the great Spike Milligan, although the film actually seemed to consist of a combination of hand-drawn backgrounds and animated characters added to actual 3D backdrops, which in that sense reminded me a lot of When the Wind Blows (which also ranks as one of the most heart-breaking animated films I've ever seen, albeit for vastly different reasons).

The story follows the adventures of a young girl named Dot who gets lost in the Australian outback, where she finds herself deeply out of her element, until a friendly red kangaroo, still mourning the loss of her own offspring, comes to her aid. From there on in, a series of encounters with representatives of the local wildlife ensue, some of whom are sympathetic to Dot's plight, others less so. I would guess that one of the key intentions behind this film was to provide Australian children with an introduction to the vast array of wierd and wonderful creatures with whom they share their native land. Some of these sequences are incorporated well into the story, such as that of the platypus (sorry, Ornithorhynchus anatinus), while others, such as the frogs', constitute whimsical little tangents, but all of it merges together to form a very satisfactory and powerful experience. Still, if you're going to watch it, then you'd do well to have a box of tissues set aside for the end. The final outcome is kind of inevitable from the start, but it still packs one heck of a punch when it happens. Then again, I'm easily moved.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 03-17-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #1397
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I just watched some clips of the big battles of the movie "Zulu" on youtube. I really love the movie and just wish that it was played more often of TV.
The movie really has a mastery of making you feel like you're right there with the British soldiers anxiously waiting for that almost endless army of Zulu warriors (Shaka I believe the correct term is) to finish their war chant and charge. Definitely a classic as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #1398
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Tenant

A psychological thriller from Roman Polanski, concerning a hapless man (played by Mr. Polanski himself) who rents an apartment in Paris, the previous tenant of which has committed suicide, and becomes slowly convinced that his assorted neighbours are attempting to manipulate him into doing the same. It's an interesting premise, and although the resulting film is decent enough, I didn't quite feel that it ever really reached its full potential, and despite a handful of truly creepy and well-executed set-pieces, for a lot of the time it came across as being an uneasy mixture of wannabe Hitchcock and an extended episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery. The final few moments were particularly NG-esque, in that once the initial shock value had made its mark, they seemed a bit more silly than scary, and in the last ten minutes or so, the film suddenly seems to be in a quandary as to whether it actually wants us to empathise with its protagonist or not (in that regard, it certainly doesn't reach the same satisfying middle ground that Alfred did with his protagonist in Vertigo, and feels more messy and frustrating than effectively disconcerting), though I will at least credit Polanski for managing to add an additional twist to what had threatened to be a fairly predictable climax. All in all, it was more than worth the watch, although Chinatown is still by far the best that I've seen from this director.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 03-19-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #1399
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Enchanted

I am SO glad I bought this. A truly wonderful and charming film that enjoys poking fun at its own Disney loaded cliches and running gags. Its not a cheesy kids film and it has a marvelous cast of excellent actors. James Marsden, and Amy Adams truly act like living, breathing, 3-dimensional cartoon characters.

The music is very well written and very enjoyable. It was such a blast to see traditional hand drawn animation sequences for the opening part of this movie. Anyone who has heard any hype about this movie, believe me personally when I say it is well worth it. Disney truly outdid themselves with this movie, its Pixar quality LIVE movie material if you ask me.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #1400
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

The very last movie I watched was "The Three Stooges in Orbit".

Moe, Larry and Curly Joe are evicted by their landlady for cooking in their hotel room. Searching for a new apartment, the Stooges travel to a Professor's house. The Professor
persuades the boys to help him guard his new invention... a military craft with the ability to move on the ground like a tank, in the air like a helicopter, in the water like a submarine, and even orbit like a spacecraft.

The movie is silly yet entertaining.
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote