Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #1371
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I did not find that movie funny AT ALL, no offense Cook but I was bored through most of that movie.

Last movies I watched were

Southern Comfort

and

The Secret of NIMH

NIMH has got to be one of the best non Disney animated movies I have ever seen, its an animation masterpiece with beautiful music, charming and honest characters and absolutely flawless animation. The Southern movie was quite different then I expected and aside from a few things, was a very good movie.

Great acting, good tense drama scenes and some freaky stuff. Remind me to watch my step next time I run into a swamp (Just kidding).
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #1372
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

Click

I did not know that Adam Sandler was capable of good dramatic acting. Wow...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #1373
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

I have to agree with Ccook on this one. IMO, Dr. Strangelove is one of the funniest movies ever.

"If you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you? You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #1374
the beninator!!
Newly Abandoned
"I'm not the kind that would argue with Ben" - "Weird Al" Yankovic  

Send a message via AIM to the beninator!! Send a message via MSN to the beninator!!

I've rented a bunch latley:

Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away

I'm tryin out some Miazaki if you couldn't tell

and, I Am Sam

I loved princess mononoke and spirited away, i enjoyed howl's moving castle, but i'm really not sure how much i LOVE it, i think I wanna see it again.

I Am Sam has to be one of the best movies I've seen. Not only are the characters and story great, but the cinematography is all hand held and helps you get sorta see things from the main characters perspective (he's retarded). And I loved how there was no cliche bad guy, see the story is about a retarded man trying to get custody of his daughter (and also the lawer having to learn about her self and how she/we all can be just as helpless as somebody with a mental handicap in lots of situations) and the social workers aren't portrayed as bad guys, the foster family isn't, everybody is just trying to do what's best for Lucy, the girl. I loved the end because it was happy, yet not perfect and in that way it was very anti hollywood.

Last edited by the beninator!!; 03-04-2008 at 04:33 PM.
the beninator!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #1375
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
I did not find that movie funny AT ALL, no offense Cook but I was bored through most of that movie.
That's because it wasn't a comedy. It's a satire. And it's generally regarded as one of Stanley Kubrick's best.

Last edited by Ccook50; 03-05-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Ccook50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #1376
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccook50 View Post
That's because it wasn't a comedy. It's a satire. And it's generally regarded as one of Stanley Kubrick's best.
Call it what you want, it wasn't interesting, funny, compelling, dramatic, intelligent, thought provoking or entertaining outside of few lines that raised half smirks and the only neat thing about the movie: the performance of Dr. Strangelove.

I wouldn't consider this his best work or even a good movie but that's just me. ANY other film I have seen by Kubrick like "The Shining" or "A Clockwork orange" is a million times more interesting and worth watching then "Strangelove". To me, Strangelove was just 95 minutes of repeating the fact a plane is gonna bomb someone over and over again.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #1377
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Call it what you want, it wasn't interesting, funny, compelling, dramatic, intelligent, thought provoking or entertaining outside of few lines that raised half smirks and the only neat thing about the movie: the performance of Dr. Strangelove.

I wouldn't consider this his best work or even a good movie but that's just me. ANY other film I have seen by Kubrick like "The Shining" or "A Clockwork orange" is a million times more interesting and worth watching then "Strangelove". To me, Strangelove was just 95 minutes of repeating the fact a plane is gonna bomb someone over and over again.

I'd have to 'strongly disagree' with the above statement but I suppose context is all. Having grown up and matured in that era, that film is one of the most powerful and funny I can think of. Maybe because we were told it could and probably would happen at some point and this movie let people express that inner terror in such a positive way.

An interesting historical note is that an identical but serious film came out the same year called Failsafe with Henry Fonda as the US president. Neither film copied nor diminished the other. Failsafe is played entirely for tension and quite terrified me as a kid.

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 03-25-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: respect for Henry Fonda
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #1378
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

oh i loved "Strangelove".

The British officer's line about having been tortured by Japanese during WW2, "which is strange since they make such damn good cameras" kills me every time.

Tell you one thing: i'll never get flourinated water again
Old 03-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #1379
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Nightmare City

I opted to watch this late-70s zombie flick with my housemates the other night purely upon impulse. The critical difference between the living dead in this film and their more stereotypical Romero-esque portrayals being that these ones are a heck of a lot more co-ordinated and intelligent, and generally behave as if they're on steroids. On the whole, it was much as we'd been expecting - an enjoyably tacky storyline, coupled with cheap, occasionally quite risible effects - only nothing on earth could have prepared us for just how dismal and lazy the ending would be, a real case of "we couldn't think of a proper way to conclude this film, so instead we're going to rely upon one of the oldest and most galling of narrative contrivances of all time." In a way I suppose it was kind of endearing.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 03-06-2008 at 05:57 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #1380
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Be Kind Rewind
Sadly it isn't, they mostly keep talking/mentioning/referencing everything important to some black jazz singer named Fatts Wallace or something. I'm no racist but I'm sorry to say i don't care about this jazz singer (whether if he is real or not) I came here to see those insane cheap movie remake ideas.
That's some kind of racist propaganda right there. Stop being racist and start caring about cultures that don't affect you, M.

(I'm being sarcastic, by the way; I'm simply stating that immediately here since my sense of sarcasm apparently doesn't translate well online).

Anyway....

Night of the Living Dead

The original one, by Romero. I'm all about zombie movies, and I consider this to be one of the best, especially with the underlying themes about what the movie is about, which is racial tension. Fantastic horror film, and one of the best to come out of the sixties.