Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #1361
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Animal House

I just saw it in theaters for the first time! They had a 30th anniversary reunion at a special movie theater, 6 of the actors from the movie showed up and did autographs, took questions, and even had Otis Day performing prior to the screenings.

I got my Animal house DVD signed by Mark Metcalf (Needermyer) and got a picture with him too it was loads of fun.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #1362
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Battle Royale

I’d heard so much about this film - how violent it is, how shocking, how nasty, how gory, etc, etc - and much to my surprise I actually rather enjoyed it. Far from being just a slew of mindless killings, it does have a really gripping and interesting storyline, and I thought they handled the nightmarish scenario supremely well. Not a trace of boredom anywhere. Also, concerning the film's main antagonist, Kitano:

Spoiler Below
Were those the greatest bad guy's dying words or what? "The last one...cookies sure were good", before he finally succumbs to his gunshot wounds...ooh yes, stirring stuff.

If I have one real nitpick, it's that the film's technique of systematically listing the names of the characters who'd died and how many more were left to go, though certainly indispensable, didn't come without its drawbacks - in the early stages of the film, it was very haunting and eerie, but as the film progressed, it did start to undermine the tension somewhat. Once you'd noticed that they only gave you this information once everybody who was going to perish in that particular scene had perished, whenever one character died and they didn't give you this little update, you knew full well that at least one other character was about to follow them. It gave it an air of predictability, but, as I say, it would have been all too easy to get lost without it, so overall I'm glad it was there.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 02-27-2008 at 02:19 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #1363
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Patton. The History channel was playing it on the weekend and I managed to catch the last half or so of it. What a character that man was.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #1364
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
Patton. The History channel was playing it on the weekend and I managed to catch the last half or so of it. What a character that man was.
just glad he was on our side

last flick i watched was "Paprika", kind of a trippy anime about the blending of reality and dreams.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #1365
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Nothing livens up a Sunday night like giving ones DVD player a dose of pure one hundred percent classic Jack Nicholson.

Last edited by taranchula; 02-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.
taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #1366
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

There Will Be Blood

Actually, there wasn't really a huge deal of blood therein...lots of oil, a bit of mud-wrestling, a double performance from Paul Dano (well, kinda), and an engrossing storyline dealing with the financial prosperities and personal failings of a ruthless oil prospector, all of which combined to make pretty darn compelling viewing. It was, of course, his performance for this film which earned Mr. Daniel Day-Lewis his Oscar this other night, and I must say that it was well-deserved. Overall, I'm glad that No Country For Old Men took home the gold for Best Picture, but this was certainly a worthy contender.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 02-26-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #1367
Diamond Duchess
Banned
I love chocolate cake, I like pencil erasers, too...  

Madagascar

This movie worked, but it could have been much better. Still, after watching it with the commentary on, it made me realize how much work went into the film, so good effort.

I really liked the stylization and animation used in the movie: It made it very fun to watch. Everything was nicely detailed and the character animation was insane. It was so vivid and lively, very amusing.
Diamond Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #1368
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Be Kind Rewind

Okay movie, pretty funny but could have been a lot funnier and I am kind of upset because the movie ads and trailers are very misleading. While it is hilarious to see how utterly stupid and awful Jack Black and Mos Def's movie remakes are, the problem is the ads make it seem like that is the focal point of the movie.

Sadly it isn't, they mostly keep talking/mentioning/referencing everything important to some black jazz singer named Fatts Wallace or something. I'm no racist but I'm sorry to say i don't care about this jazz singer (whether if he is real or not) I came here to see those insane cheap movie remake ideas.

The movie had some great funny moments and Def and Black work amazingly well together, but the movie jumped around from the fake movie plot to this jazz singer and I just felt they advertised it wrong and undermined the cheap movie remake concept with another storyline that felt too cheesy and old. All in all it was a good watch but not something I'd want to own.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #1369
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Lost Highway

More skin-crawling, mind-bending, neo-noir undertakings from David Lynch. It lacks some of the seductiveness of Mulholland Drive, perhaps, but it's still expertly made and has a particularly awe-inspiring opening credits sequence, possibly the greatest I've ever seen.

There is a character in this film known simply as the "Mystery Man", whom my brother rates as being the single most terrify character that Mr. Lynch has ever created. I would have to disagree. I think that the elderly couple in Mulholland Drive are a heck of a lot more unnerving. Which undoubtedly says something, because this guy really gave me the creeps. Must be something to do with the fact that, for the entire time he was on screen, we never once saw him blink.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 03-03-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #1370
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

Dr. Strangelove on DVD last night. "Premier Kissov is a man of the people but he is also a man, if you get my meaning."