Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #1351
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Slacker

An interesting film from Richard Linklater, which feels in many ways like a prototype for his later, more polished Waking Life, but still stands up as a very fine piece of film-making in its own right (any flick which utilises the glorious Fisher Price PXL-2000 camcorder deserves respect, IMO). It basically consists of a chain of cleverly-structured character interactions, working its way around a suburban neighbourhood and shifting from one resident to the next, each providing some sort of brief reflection or musing upon themselves or upon life in general. I was particularly taken with Louis Mackey's performance as an "Old Anarchist".

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #1352
Diamond Duchess
Banned
I love chocolate cake, I like pencil erasers, too...  

The Aristocats

I'll always have a special place in my heart for this one: It's a charming film I fell in love with when I was a kid, it's about cats and I just like it. Got to see the remastered edition that came out a few weeks ago, and it's captivating as it was when I first saw it.

Sure, it wasn't the most perfect Disney film, there were some flaws and such, but I still like it. I feel it's a touch underrated compared to some of their other movies, but that's fine.

I kinda felt the bonus features were a bit lacking, though. Really wanted more behind the scenes stuff and deleted footage, but this was an older film, so these things would have been somewhat difficult to find to put in the DVD. My two cents on the matter.
Diamond Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #1353
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

August Rush

Hmm...you know, the trailers made this film look flippin' amazing (at least I thought so), but I've got to admit that I was more than a little disappointed with it. The greatest thing in its favour was that it contained a couple of pretty damned transcendent musical interludes, but sadly the storyline was nothing more than a tired and annoyingly transparent variation upon Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist (one of the few really interesting points being that they cast Robin Williams as the Fagin-type character, but they didn't exactly do a huge deal with him), and much of the dialogue was equally trite. It proclaims to be a movie about the importance of discovering the magic of music in all of life's various rhythms and encounters, and with that in mind I suppose it made its point well enough - the flick is at its strongest by far when everyone shuts up and lets the music do the talking.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 02-25-2008 at 01:53 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #1354
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
August Rush

Hmm...you know, the trailers made this film look flippin' amazing (at least I thought so), but I've got to admit that I was more than a little disappointed with it. The greatest thing in its favour was that it contained a couple of pretty damned transcendent musical interludes, but sadly the storyline was nothing more than a tired and annoyingly transparent variation upon Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist (one of the few really interesting points being that they cast Robin Williams as the Fagin-type character, but they don't exactly do a huge deal with him), and much of the dialogue was equally trite. It proclaims to be a movie about the importance of discovering the magic of music in all of life's various rhythms and encounters, and with that in mind I suppose it made its point well enough - the flick is at its strongest by far when everyone shuts up and lets the music do the talking.
yeah that did look good.

i saw "Legend" last. I'll always be a Tom Cruise fan, no matter how crazy he gets
Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #1355
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Salem's Lot

The original and not the crappy TNT remake. This one is far more scarier, creepier, and features some excellent acting if you ask me. There are some really fine performers in this movie and being someone who enjoys King's movie adaptations, I really feel this one gets pushed under the carpet a lot.

I love the Barlow Nosferatu style vampire monster in here, and the creepy glowy eyed vampire kids clawing at the windows are some of the classic horror moments around. Its a long but very, very good movie.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #1356
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Ninotchka

Great movie. Romantic comedy about a super-serious Soviet envoy (Greta Garbo) who goes to Paris to straighten out a problem the USSR is having with some of its goofball agents trying to sell jewels there. This film is absolutely hillarious, when Ninotchka gets off the train the agents ask her about the latest news from Moscow, she says, "the last mass trials were a great success. There will be fewer, but better, Russians"

LOL great movie
Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #1357
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

Im watching the chase which is a pretty cool movie. its about a guy who got a 25 year sentence because he was mistaken for a clown-dressed bank robber. then goes the run with a hostage.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #1358
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Be Kind Rewind

Wonderful, enjoyable film. It possessed a good deal of both humor and heart, and was a treat to watch. I'll definantely be buying it on DVD when it arrives on that format.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #1359
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The Signal

Very intense movie, and freaking creepy too. I didn't think this movie could impress me but it really was a terrifyingly realistic horror movie with good, unknown actors who really know how to steal a scene. The movie has a very "28 days later" "Dawn of the dead" feel to it but it feels so much more real.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #1360
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Phantasm

I kept hearing good things about the film, both the original and the series, and decided to begin watching it. While it's not the scariest film I've ever seen, to say I was disappointed by it would be a huge overstatement. The film was marvelous in doing what it set out to do, which I believe was to display a nightmare as well as it could. It was a film with images that are incredibly haunting (not to mention the utterly incredible soundtrack), and yet only a few genuinely stick out and persist in your mind, as if you'd awakened after having watched the film, which had turned out to be a nightmare.

Brilliant film.