Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #1301
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
Patton was a great movie
That it is, Partymember. I particularly like the part where he takes on the two fighter planes with his pistols.
The last movie I watched was Robocop. I've always like Robocop but this was actually the first time I seen it in full. I'm sure it was edited for syndication, though.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #1302
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
That it is, Partymember. I particularly like the part where he takes on the two fighter planes with his pistols.
LOL yeah that was great .45 Long Colt: nasty cartridge.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #1303
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

"No, I...am YOUR Father!"

Yep, that's right the flick I last caught was the 1980 sci-fi classic "The Empire Strikes Back" (The original theatrical version, no less.) My overall favorite of all the Star Wars films.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #1304
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

My favorite movie of all-time.
I'm glad you said 'No' instead of 'Luke'.

Last edited by Invader Bloo; 01-21-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #1305
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
My favorite movie of all-time.
I'm glad you said 'No' instead of 'Luke'.
Yeah, looks like I passed the "Geek Test".

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 AM   #1306
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Red Violin

A highly captivating and intricate drama from Francois Girard, which chronicles the adventures of an extremely idosyncratic little violin throughout the ages, as it travels from hand to hand, brings joy and havoc to each of its owners, and gets to do some serious globe-trotting in the process, finally winding up in Montreal, under the watchful eye of violin expert Samuel L. Jackson.

As much as I enjoyed this film, I wouldn't say that it struck quite the same wonderful chord with me as Girard's previous masterpiece, 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould (naturally, being a keen admirer of Mr. Gould's does make me a tad biased, but then again it was Girard's film which gave me my first real taste of the marvellous musician). The various episodes were cleverly interwoven, exceedingly picturesque and brimming with gentle charm and beautiful music, and yet the film as a whole possibly went on for a little too long, whilst conversely leaving a couple of the stories feeling a little too brief. We don't get the chance to explore each participant's life in a great deal of depth or detail beyond its relevence to the overall narrative arc of the inanimate violin, hence why it rather lacks the cumulative effect of the Glenn Gould biopic. But it's not my intention to carp. This remains an extremely original and delightful experience nonetheless, beautifully crafted and with some neatly transcendent moments. Plus, Colm Feore, who played Mr. Gould in Girard's previous flick, managed to show up for this one too, which made it all the more agreeable.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #1307
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
The Red Violin

A highly captivating and intricate drama from Francois Girard, which chronicles the adventures of an extremely idosyncratic little violin throughout the ages, as it travels from hand to hand, brings joy and havoc to each of its owners, and gets to do some serious globe-trotting in the process, finally winding up in Montreal, under the watchful eye of violin expert Samuel L. Jackson.

As much as I enjoyed this film, I wouldn't say that it struck quite the same wonderful chord with me as Girard's previous masterpiece, 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould (naturally, being a keen admirer of Mr. Gould's does make me a tad biased, but then again it was Girard's film which gave me my first real taste of the marvellous musician). The various episodes were cleverly interwoven, exceedingly picturesque and brimming with gentle charm and beautiful music, and yet the film as a whole possibly went on for a little too long, whilst conversely leaving a couple of the stories feeling a little too brief. We don't get the chance to explore each participant's life in a great deal of depth or detail beyond its relevence to the overall narrative arc of the inanimate violin, hence why it rather lacks the cumulative effect of the Glenn Gould biopic. But it's not my intention to carp. This remains an extremely original and delightful experience nonetheless, beautifully crafted and with some neatly transcendent moments. Plus, Colm Feore, who played Mr. Gould in Girard's previous flick, managed to show up for this one too, which made it all the more agreeable.
Red Violin was a good film.

Im sitting here waiting for Amazon to ship "Blood", "Ghost in the Shell", and "Paprika"

so sloooooooooow
Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #1308
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

No Country For Old Men

Top-notch. Being an avid fan of the Coen Brothers, it was a pure delight to see them finally jackpot again after the successive misfires of Intolerable Cruelty (which did still have its moments), and the Ladykillers (hmm, no comment), disproving the assertions of an old classmate of mine who'd firmly declared that they'd "lost it".

I will profess to having more of a weakness for the slightly more surreal flicks in Joel and Ethan's inventory, my personal favourites being the Hudsucker Proxy (which is also my favourite film, period) and Barton Fink. No Country For Old Men, by comparison, is a relatively straightfoward and unembellished thriller, very much in the vein of Fargo and Blood Simple (the opening scene in particular puts one very deeply in mind of the latter), but that's certainly not to its detriment. Despite Carter Burwell receiving his usual scoring credit, I can't actually remember there even being any background music throughout, prior to the closing credits. In the absence of any real embossing, this is a very cold, taut and at times utterly terrifying film, but that's something I found to be extremely refreshing about it. There's a raw, powerful purity which makes it totally engrossing, assisted no end by the Coens' laudable fearlessness in their willingness to defy established convention and the audience's expectations. And the cast were all excellent. Javier Bardem was particularly slick as a cattle-gun wielding psychopath who seemed to view himself as a harbinger of fate, and managed to be both hair-rasingly grotesque and hauntingly understated at the same time.

Well, that's just about the gist of my first impressions. As with any Coen Bros film, there's undoubtedly a wealth of hidden meanings and subtle character development to be harvested, and of which it takes more than a single viewing to appreciate (and there's already a multitude of further questions buzzing around inside my head right now). I look forward to delving a lot deeper into this one in the future.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 01-27-2008 at 04:14 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #1309
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

^ - No Country for Old Men was aces, especially Javier Beldman's performance as Anton Chigurgh. Hopefully, he'll win an Oscar for the role.

Cloverfield. I felt it was....mediocore. Now, I had never been a huge fanatic fan of the giant monster film genre and, while the film is at heart a love story and not a giant monster film, I still couldn't really get into it. In part, the romance part of it may have ruined it for me, as while I love the idea of romance existing as a fictional element (which is the only believable way I think it can exist), it just doesn't do it for me sometimes when films try to pull "the major images are the lure, now here's what the film REALLY is". Sometimes they work; for me, this just didn't.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #1310
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Still as funny as it was when I first saw it. Cary Elwes was brilliant!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote