Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #1261
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Finally seen Ghostbusters in full. A great movie that I'm going to have to be sure to pick up on DVD at some point.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #1262
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Shall We Dance?, a film from 1936 with Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers (I think that's her name). It was a cute film, and interesting if just to see the differences in what counted as entertainment back in the 30s as compared to now.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #1263
Diamond Duchess
Banned
I love chocolate cake, I like pencil erasers, too...  

I just came back from seeing The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. I enjoyed the film: I didn't think it was terrible, nor did I think it was all that great. I liked it.

It's a quaint fantasy film revolving around the Loch Ness Monster (a Water Horse) that has some dramatic and darker points. The film had an interesting take on the concept, though I thought it could have done a bit more with it, aside from the obvious.

With all the other films currently out there, this would one of the better ones to see, but that's just me.

(Btw, I loved the execution of the Water Horse. It was a cute thing when it was little, and it became an awesome monster thing when it grew up. I want one of those creatures now)
Diamond Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #1264
Mayor Adam West
At Home
Oh yes, I'm a man who loves his taffy  

Send a message via AIM to Mayor Adam West Send a message via MSN to Mayor Adam West Send a message via Yahoo to Mayor Adam West

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

I have to say, it was rather impressive indeed. Quite an enjoyable movie really.

They even had a cameo in there by none other than...
Spoiler Below
Kermit the Frog

All in all, it was a nice little move, little cheesy in the end, but ah well, I liked it indeed.
Mayor Adam West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #1265
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Adam West View Post
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

I have to say, it was rather impressive indeed. Quite an enjoyable movie really.

They even had a cameo in there by none other than...
Spoiler Below
Kermit the Frog

All in all, it was a nice little move, little cheesy in the end, but ah well, I liked it indeed.
Wow, now I actually want to see that movie.

<Click!
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #1266
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

I Am Legend

wow...great movie! It was really well done, and the part with Shrek didn't detract from it at all, if you paid attention to the fact that it was the bit where Shrek is talking about how he lives alone and all that, just like Neville.

I loved the
Spoiler Below
mannequin thing
i thought that was an interesting little quirk and added flavor to the story

of course it also reminded me that i need a LOT more ammunition
Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #1267
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Phantoms

Probably the only widely known and best adaptation of Dean Koontz work, all others have been either crappy or cheaply made TV for movies. I love his work even better then King except King's books become movies in a heartbeat. I really enjoyed this movie, I just felt it tried too hard to "be scary" then it should have.

I read the book so i know the changes they made, and actually most of the changes I liked better in the book. And as Jay and Silent Bob so comically put it to Ben Affleck in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike back", "YOU WERE DA BOMB IN PAHTOMS!" .

Pretty much the only movie I can really honestly say Affleck did a damn good job in.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #1268
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
the part with Shrek didn't detract from it at all, if you paid attention to the fact that it was the bit where Shrek is talking about how he lives alone and all that, just like Neville.
Regardless, it struck me as a belaboured point, and the scene went on for much longer than necessary. C'mon, we came there to see Will Smith in a semi-serious film about the waning of civilisation and the human race, not a clip show for a movie that's been forced upon us enough times already.

At the time, I interpretted the meaning of that scene as an illustration upon how Neville had lost the ability to effectively communicate with real people, his only sources of companionship having come from his dog, the mannquins and whatever DVDs he'd picked up. If the film-makers felt that it was a totally necessary component of the story, then I just wish they'd chosen a film that hadn't been subjected to nearly as much overexposure as Shrek. It struck me as a particularly unwise move following the lukewarm (at best) reaction to Shrek the Third, which if anything has caused a lot of people to become fed up with the franchise (I personally was fed up with it from day one, but that's just me).

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 10-06-2008 at 09:22 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #1269
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Death Sentence

I really hope this movie and its director gets the well deserved appreciation the theater audiences never gave it. I totally loved this film and found it to be a compelling, gritty, dark, and realistic film of revenge and action. James Wan really is impressing me as an up and coming director, I really want to see more from him.

Kevin Bacon is excellent as always and I was really blown away by the intense graphic shoot out scenes and violence. The soundtrack music was amazing as well. I'm so glad I picked up this movie and I am so going to tell anyone I know to give this movie a look over because it really is a film worth looking at.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #1270
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings

While I personally didn't find this one to be a patch upon Peter Jackson's version of the story, it was, nonetheless, a lot of fun to watch, in spite of, or more likely because of it's various flaws. This film is, of course, notorious for ending after covering only the first two books, and in many ways I felt compelled to admire its valiant, if rather unconvincing efforts to make it out as though they'd reached a perfectly happy and triumphant conclusion when that little loose end concerning Frodo, Sam, Gollum and the Ring itself was left completely dangling. The animation was a little shaky, ranging from the disarmingly camp to the just plain creepy (which, in the case of those rotoscoped Ringwraiths, was probably a good thing). The best thing about it was hands down John Hurt, who has one of the loveliest voices in the world, and who here made a truly smashing Aragorn.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 01-10-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: wrote "made" twice
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote