Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #1201
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Sky High

Yes its the Disney super hero flick and yes, sorry to say but I really enjoyed this movie. Granted there are some lame ass "too Disney-esque" moments in the film but for the most part, this movie was pretty enjoyable and not a bad way to kill some time.

Acting was decent, gained some funny performances from Kurt Russell and Patrick Warburton (his voice anyway). The concept of the super hero school and the classes/systems they have are pretty clever and the costumes for the film were pretty damn snazzy I don't mind saying.

I'm glad Disney is doing fine work consistently with their animated world and live action world with the likes of Pirates, Pixar, and Enchanted backing them up, I expect some pretty good stuff from Disney to come in the future. Or hope so anyway.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #1202
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerostarMonk View Post
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but the animation at the beginning of Enchanted was not done by Disney. Their department for such an endeavor was shut down at the time. I know I was bummed out about it too.

I can't wait to see Charlie Wilson's War. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I hear Charlie Wilson was quite the character while in Congress. Plus a movie written by Aaron Sorkin, directed by Mike Nichols and starring Tom Hanks would make for an epic fail if it did fall into a shambles. So it's win/win for me.
Nonetheless, it is still gratifying to see Disney acknowledge that 2D animation has a legitimate place in the cinema of today. Particularly since barely a couple of years ago they were coming out with such myopic and dispiriting statements as "Showing 2D animation to kids these days is like showing them something in black and white", wherein they manage to insult not only everything upon which they built their once-mighty empire, but just about every single classic movie made before the 1960s. Bringing just a little of it into Enchanted is certainly a step in the right direction.

I will probably end up seeing Charlie Wilson's War, if only when it comes to my campus's student cinema. I wasn't a huge fan of Mike Nichols' previous film, Closer, but I think that had more to do with the acting and the dialogue than the direction itself.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 12-09-2007 at 02:28 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #1203
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Nonetheless, it is still gratifying to see Disney acknowledge that 2D animation has a legitimate place in the cinema of today. Particularly since barely a couple of years ago they were coming out with such myopic and dispiriting statements as "Showing 2D animation to kids these days is like showing them something in black and white", wherein they manage to insult not only everything upon which they built their once-mighty empire, but just about every single classic movie made before the 1960s. Bringing just a little of it into Enchanted is certainly a step in the right direction.
Well put and well said, I totally agree, I really don't care who animated the opening sequences. Either way its still traditional animation and its nice to see it come from somewhere rather then no one at all.

Enchanted was a marvelous movie and I was quite impressed with it. Like I said about Sky High, I've been pretty pleased with Disney's recent films both lived and animated. They've talked about making Enchanted a trilogy.

Planning 2 more films in connection with Enchanted. If this first film though is any indication of what's to come then I say, bring em on!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #1204
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

The Cannonball Run

This movie if officially my favorite thing to watch. That's not to say it's necessarily a good movie; it's just ludicriously fun to watch.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #1205
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

I honestly think that anyone who thought that traditional animation was going away were kidding themselves. It was knee-jerk reactions on both sides. It was both the audiences who thought there was too much CGI and the studios who thought it was actually feasible to phase out traditional animation. 2D animation can never and will never die. It's an impossibility.

I myself cared quite a bit. I loved the movie, but I knew something was amiss with the animation. While good, it wasn't quite Disney, it was parody. I guess that makes sense seeing as the movie itself was a parody. Their animated movie I'm most looking forward to is Rapunzel with director Glen Keane. He and his team have put together CGI that has the fluidity and warmth of 2D and the depth of CGI. It looks like a moving oil painting, absolutely stunning.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #1206
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerostarMonk View Post
Their animated movie I'm most looking forward to is Rapunzel with director Glen Keane. He and his team have put together CGI that has the fluidity and warmth of 2D and the depth of CGI. It looks like a moving oil painting, absolutely stunning.
that sounds cool, ill have to check it out
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #1207
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Right now (litterally-- as I type!) I'm watching O for AP Lit. It's an adaptation of Othello, the last book we read.

So far I'm liking it-- it's got good music and the acting's pretty good. It's rated R, but hey, what are you gonna do? Still highly fantastic. (Even if it IS the first twenty minutes...)

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #1208
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

On the 2D animation debate: yeah, it's great to see it back. From most accounts, the main ones to thank for that are Pixar men John Lasseter and Ed Catmull, 2D aficionados who, thanks to the Disney-Pixar merger, now find themselves in key creative positions in Walt Disney Animation Studios, and it's largely through their influence that Disney have committed themselves to the revival of the form. All eyes will be on the 2009 release of The Princess and the Frog, a 1920's Jazz Age fairy tale that will be directed by Ron Clements and John Musker (Aladdin, Hercules, The Little Mermaid), and will be Disney's first traditional animation since 2004. I'm certainly looking forward to how it turns out.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #1209
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Peter Jackson's King Kong. It's a great remake of the classic, but it lacks the savagery that the original had.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #1210
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

The Killer

Kiss Kiss, Bang bang

A John Woo film for the first one, best of his work I've ever seen and I always loved Bang, bang. One of the funniest scripts I've ever heard, the dialog is so sharp and witty I couldn't stop loving how smart this movie's writing was.