Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #1191
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
And me 3 on The Golden Compass
This movie could have been page by page, word for word exactly like the book and it wouldn't matter a single bit because it was NOT fun to watch. Other then a kick ass Polar bear brawl and some really neat looking vehicle designs, every other fantasy movie out there is worth seeing more then this one. Its a dry, shiny husk of a good movie with little to stand on and little to watch for.
It'll still probably get plenty of curious viewers who simply want to see what all the religious controversy is about.
I doubt I'll be seeing this one. I've been keeping my eye on it but it just hasn't grabbed me by the shoulders and yell "You have to go see this movie!" to my face.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #1192
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
It'll still probably get plenty of curious viewers who simply want to see what all the religious controversy is about.
I doubt I'll be seeing this one. I've been keeping my eye on it but it just hasn't grabbed me by the shoulders and yell "You have to go see this movie!" to my face.
The only thing religious connected to this movie is that its just like the Bible: we all hear about it but no one really wants to read it.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #1193
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

The Golden Freaking Compass

Mark Twain, polar bears, and gypsies fight Russian Catholics led by Nicole Kidman. In blimps.

the only good thing about this movie was when i was walking in and i saw a muslim and i said "happy Hannukah" and he gave me a dirka dirka jihad death stare.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #1194
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

I guess all of you that saw The Golden Compass saw the Speed Racer trailer?

BTW, the last movie I watched was Hot Fuzz on DVD. Still a very funny action-packed movie.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #1195
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

No Country For Old Men and The Mist

Having read the book No Country for Old Men, I'm torn on what I think. While the craftsmanship of the film is incredible all the way through, they had to make incredible sacrifices to the story and character development in order to fit the film into a watchable whole. This is completely understandable, as if they included every bit of conversation from the book into the film, the film would have been unwatchably long. The problem, though, is that every bit of that text was necessary in order to fully understand what the hell was going on. In the end, I'd say it was easily the best made film I've seen all year.

As for The Mist, I had low expectations for the film, and I was slightly surprised to find it was somewhat better than I expected. It remains oddly truthful to King's novella, a trait that's fairly rare in movies based off his work. In the end, there was only one thing that bothered me: the ending of the film.

Spoiler Below
To me, the ending of the film really made a lot of the sacrifices made by David earlier in the film, especially against Carmody, utterly pointless since he ends up killing those he intended to save anyway. While I suppose this was to add a "shock" ending too it, I found it unnecessary and the original ending of the novella, which leaves the survivors to an uncertain fate as the last of mankind, more poignant and giving a stronger sense of dread. Of course, this is more of a personal opinion than a genuinely viable critique of the film, which was good as a whole.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #1196
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

I've yet to see the Golden Compass, but I want to inform everyone that the version seen is not the one the director wanted. It was edited in such a way by the studio to avoid a possible boycott by religious leaders, and a fat load of good that did. The ending of the book was indeed shot and included into one of the cuts, and was later removed. Pullman himself even said he enjoyed the version he saw, and from all the reviews out there I would wager that was not the final cut.

As a film fan I'd love it if they would release the director's cut on the big screen if this version does well. I've heard from many that it's just a joy to behold and really the start of a fantastic film series.

As for my thoughts on the book, the first one was excellent, the second one was enjoyable, and the third one was a chore of a read. Muddled ideas everywhere and seemed to leave the themes of the first two books in order to get on a soapbox of its own.

I'll be going to see the movie tomorrow, but mostly for the production design. I'm a sucker for steampunk, art deco and neoclassical. What can I say?
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #1197
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

the day after tommorow

lord of the flies
(60's version)

jason and the argonauts

all for school, but all pretty good. i liked the lord of the flies one. the black and white set a great mood for the movie.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #1198
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
I guess all of you that saw The Golden Compass saw the Speed Racer trailer?
I don't recall so. The only trailers I got were for Bee Movie, some upcoming movie starring Tom Hanks, the name of which escapes me, and Enchanted (the last one being the only one that I currently have any interest in seeing - it looks like a real hoot, and it's nice to see Disney utilising 2D animation again, if only for a small portion of the film).

EDIT: The Tom Hanks movie was Charlie Wilson's War.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 12-08-2007 at 11:11 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #1199
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but the animation at the beginning of Enchanted was not done by Disney. Their department for such an endeavor was shut down at the time. I know I was bummed out about it too.

I can't wait to see Charlie Wilson's War. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I hear Charlie Wilson was quite the character while in Congress. Plus a movie written by Aaron Sorkin, directed by Mike Nichols and starring Tom Hanks would make for an epic fail if it did fall into a shambles. So it's win/win for me.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #1200
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Charlie Wilson...lessee what Wiki has to say...

wow. So its his fault the Taliban are firing Stinger missles at our planes now?

thanks a lot Chuck