Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #101
Voxxyn
Banned

I agree very much with kageri.

I must be honest, I don't believe that "all toon girls rock and all Hollywood girls suck". There have been plenty of animated female characters that are as shallow and vapid as the worst Hollywood has to offer. Some of these are intentional stereotypes that are used for satirical purposes, but others are the result of unoriginal and cliched efforts by the creators involved. But again, it's very much true that we get to see their real lives, which perhaps explain why some here are so strong in their "toon > 'wood" belief.

And since you guys just had to bring up THAT episode of Foster's(And thus I'm trying hard not to write about how much I hate it)... I guess I'll just use this as an opportunity to state that my affection and emotional attachment to Frankie is infinitely stronger than most Hollywood starlettes. I'm not gonna lie, that redhead is something special.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #102
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
I'm not gonna lie, that redhead is something special.
You don't have to tell me. She's the best.

You're right on the other points, too; there are a few class acts in Hollywood, and there are some very shallow, vapid cartoon characters. But on a level playing field where everyone's equally "real", I think a cartoon would very likely win over a Hollywood starlet more often than not.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #103
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

There's something about Frankie all right ^^.

My point was just that cartoons can be just as shallow as celebs can be. And actually, it's hard to really tell which actors are actually putting on a show for the cameras, and which ones are actually really decent people.

Toons are simply more "likable" because they don't have dual identites like actors and actresses do. Some actors are VERY nice and good people inside. Like Johnny Depp, Jason Lee, Sharon Osbourne, Seth Green.

The things I hear about some of those celebs have just been the nicest things I've ever heard. Actors are like toons and vise versa, some are always putting on a show while others are as good and clean cut as they seem to be.

I think the thing that we love most about toons is the fact that they have a sense of innocence and real deceny about them. There not plagued or bothered by crap like drugs, and stuff like that. Like Frankie, there sweet as sweet can be.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #104
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
There's something about Frankie all right ^^.

My point was just that cartoons can be just as shallow as celebs can be. And actually, it's hard to really tell which actors are actually putting on a show for the cameras, and which ones are actually really decent people.

Toons are simply more "likable" because they don't have dual identites like actors and actresses do. Some actors are VERY nice and good people inside. Like Johnny Depp, Jason Lee, Sharon Osbourne, Seth Green.

The things I hear about some of those celebs have just been the nicest things I've ever heard. Actors are like toons and vise versa, some are always putting on a show while others are as good and clean cut as they seem to be.

I think the thing that we love most about toons is the fact that they have a sense of innocence and real deceny about them. There not plagued or bothered by crap like drugs, and stuff like that. Like Frankie, there sweet as sweet can be.
Very true. I don't think that "putting on an act" always means they're actually not as nice as they seem to be; just, for example, we've seen Frankie in a bathrobe in the morning, in a rainstorm covered in mud, etc.... and she's still pretty! Whereas we never really get to see celebrities' "real" lives, although I'm sure there are those who are just as nice as they seem to be.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:19 AM   #105
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2ery good points, all. And yes, Frankie IS something special alright. She has this undying charm to her. ^^
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #106
Emma
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
Another great thing about toon characters is that they almost never pretend to be something they're not. They don't often play actor, so you see the character for who they really are.
It's funny how much that's changed from the Golden Age of animation to now. I mean, have you ever seen that show on CN, Duck Dodgers? The opening credits go something like Daffy Duck as Duck Dodgers, Porky Pig as The Eager, Young Space Cadet and Marvin the Martian as Commander X-2, so they're pretty much not playing themselves (and to my knowledge, none were ever referred to by their real names). It's sorta funny how times have changed, when you think about it. I can't imagine we'd ever see Starring: Madame Foster as Miss Crumplebottom anywhere, which is too bad really. It makes the modern toons lose their sense of immortality, which is sad considering how much I love them.

Last edited by Emma; 11-08-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #107
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Starring: Madame Foster as Miss Crumplebottom
I almost had a heart attack reading that.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 01-03-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Here, typo, typo, typo...
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #108
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

I am probably late on this topic, but here it goes:

1. Frankie

2. Daphne (Scooby Doo)

3. Kim Possible

4. Atomic Betty

5. Josie (Josie and the Pussycats)

What do they all have in common? Redheads!
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #109
Dragonrider1227
At Home

Major Frankie fan  

Default Do you have a crush on a FHMIF character?

Just what the thread title says. I'm TOTALLY into Frankie. In case you hadn't noticed from my avatar and signature ^^; What about you people? Now, please don't make fun of anyone or their crush.

[center]

Last edited by Cassini90125; 10-12-2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Merged with original thread. Please use the "Search" feature before creating new threads.
Dragonrider1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #110
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Holy Hell dragon rider, you like nearly all the same toon girls I do ! Seriously, I love Frankie, Sally, Gadget and ESPECIALLY Jupiter. The only ones I don't share your toon crushes on are Ariel from Little Mermaid (although i know someone who is OBSESSED with her) and that one from "Teenage robot".

Never saw that show so don't really got much to say on it. As I said before when I started my attraction thread, I love crushing on toons and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, so long as you don't start making cardboard cut outs of them and talking to them like they are real people then that's a bit weird.

A recently discovered toon crush I want to shout out: Sawyer from "Cats don't dance". A lovely little toon feline who sings so beautifully, and was designed by Frankie herself! (actually Lauren Faust but you get the idea). She was one of Sawyer's animators. And if you mind the shameless plug here, I made a youtube video all about my toon crushes.

Dragon rider, I think you especially might find this video interesting:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9KaHeekV7U
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote